Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

It is the G4003 12x36 the tool post is my design that I built I didn't like the one that came with the lathe.
I have a PDF drawing of it posted in this thread http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6471.msg72097#msg72097

So far I like it granted it isn't a tool room lathe but it (so far) has done what I've asked it to do.

I'm not real happy with the collet closer I bought with it though.
The tube I ended up picking up the internal thread and recutting them myself to fit the collets. Grizzly did send me a tube that was suppose to be inspected 100% but quess what it was the same as the first one and needs the internal thread fixed. It's laying on the shelf and Ireally don't need it at this point.

I've got two lathes, my first one is a Denford Viceroy, but I can't fit it in my garage so I haven't used it yet.

My second is an ML10, smaller and neater

IMG_1859.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JQ-5V2JI86KZmU6uGYSOuQ?feat=directlink

and here is how it shoehorns into the garage :-[

IMG_1857.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bpJAw280Men776oM57isOg?feat=directlink

just visable in the chuck is my first project a surface gauge from Harold Hall's "Lathework A Complete Course"

Sean,

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking ML10 which do you prefer to use out of those two?

PM sent on non lathe related stuff!

Nick

Nick,

I've only ever turned the viceroy on once - the motor isn't attached to the belt yet and the switch box is mounted inside the base, on top of the motor!

It span up, went faster and faster and faster, which was interesting for ten seconds and then I chickened out. Its stored in my mums garage and so I've never got round to getting it running properly

The ML10 is a joy to use, it whispers along unless I fit the backgear - then it's very rattley.

The viceroy will come to live with me once I build workshop - this years main project ;D Then it will get the TLC it's in desperate need off. As my model is Plain I'm thinking of using it mainly for lathe based milling operations.

Ah right, well it should be very useful for that. You'll find it's a very rigid machine.

Nick

SeanG said:
The ML10 is a joy to use, it whispers along unless I fit the backgear - then it's very rattley.

i have been meaning to ask how you like your ML10 it looks very light but very interesting can i ask how the tailstock is locked? there is no information on the tailstock in the net

New_Guy, The tail stock has a clamp to lock it to the bed and a clamp to lock the barrel in the tail.

From memory the bed clamp acts on the gib strip. I'll take some pics tonight (before I have the Friday beer). You had to ask a question on the one part I didn't strip and clean didn't you! The apron, cross slide, headstock - I'm an expert at dropping bits of those on the floor. All I did to the tailstock is take it off the bed and give a clean ::)

Nick, do you have a viceroy as well then? I've seen some posts on here from Julian who has a viceroy, but nothing on this thread.

If you want to see an ML10 doing impressive work, look up MyfordBoy on you tube. He has a series of video's on casting and a few where you can see him machining the castings on his ML10, I particularly like the one where he was using a Riser Spindle to turn a wheel he'd cast
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/myfordboy#p/u/6/m_-iPpEuWRA]http://www.youtube.com/user/myfordboy#p/u/6/m_-iPpEuWRA[/ame]

Sean

Sean,

no, but I've used boxfords before and really liked them. I believe the viceroy is virtually the same machine.

Nick

SeanG said:
New_Guy, The tail stock has a clamp to lock it to the bed and a clamp to lock the barrel in the tail.

From memory the bed clamp acts on the gib strip. I'll take some pics tonight (before I have the Friday beer). You had to ask a question on the one part I didn't strip and clean didn't you! The apron, cross slide, headstock - I'm an expert at dropping bits of those on the floor. All I did to the tailstock is take it off the bed and give a clean ::)

Nick, do you have a viceroy as well then? I've seen some posts on here from Julian who has a viceroy, but nothing on this thread.

If you want to see an ML10 doing impressive work, look up MyfordBoy on you tube. He has a series of video's on casting and a few where you can see him machining the castings on his ML10, I particularly like the one where he was using a Riser Spindle to turn a wheel he'd cast
http://www.youtube.com/user/myfordboy#p/u/6/m_-iPpEuWRA

Sean

thanks Sean i have a little interest in lathes with dovetail ways and information on the tailstock is usually neglected

ill check out that link to thanks ;)

Here is the Chester model B that I hope to be getting to grips with in the near future. It will have to wait right now, I've just been out to take this picture and its a wee bitty cold in the shed (-7c).

stuff007.jpg

My wee beastie.

Rockets.

Looks nice rockets,

It's thawing out now, so you can get some swarf on it ;D

hehe, -7 thats when Ill start working in the shed! Weve had -20´s here for weeks now, untill a few days ago.. now its just -12c! Combo machines are cool!!!

Things are much warmer now, I've been out there building some decent tool storage. Work permitting I should be playing with the lathe next week.

Hello everyone,

Here is a photo of my Logan model 815. It was sold new at a machinery dealer here in Springfield back in 1946. I got in 1976. After going through it and replacing all worn shafts and bearings I also replaced the spindle bearings and made a new spindle. The spindle threads, register, and taper were cut in place, in other words it finished its own spindle. The cross slide dovetail was recut and a new cross slide nut made. I rebored the tailstock, made a new ram, and made a new base. The tailstock now has a friction dial which is very useful. I also made a friction dial for the cross slide and replaced the hand wheel with a balanced ball handle. It is now a dependable and accurate machine.

engines058.jpg

Chris

Back