Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing will ever beat or match the old iron lathes.
They just don't make them like that anymore.

Cool toys Jdaniel343 and Chris!

Rick

Great looking lathes fellows, I looked at one today, it was a VanNorm, I think I read the label right or something close to that, does anyone know much about them, it had white hair must be 1900 ish, if I can get for 100 or less I will get it, hope I can get it home without the wife knowing that I got one more lathe, if I get it I will post a pic of the old boy, Lathe Nut

I bought this on ebay last year...brand new in box plus many new accessories for $400. Eventually I'll buy another lathe, bigger in size, but this works well for me now.

Picture029.jpg

Hello guys...
some pictures of my Ceriani after some improvements...like an inverter installment and a reverse gear...now I'm able to do any type of tread from 0 to 2.5 mm and also witwort one...!!!
DSC02503.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02498.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

Ciao Paolo and everyone,

Your Ceriani is a very nice looking machine. I am curious, is it made in Italia? The dovetail ways are an interesting feature.

Chris

Hi Chris
Thanks for your interest on my lathe..yes it's an Italian lathe..but a little bit different from standard I added some modification talking directly to Ceriani brothers. I'll take some pics of that dovetail ways... is an double "V" with automatic backlash compensation ant It works very well...

Nice looking machines, everyone. Sherline, Sheldon, Logan, Ceriani. Great stuff!

Dean

Nice looking lathe Paolo!.....How are you my friend?

Dave

Hi Dave....
sorry for the "long" delay on answering You...I'm well Dave...thanks!!!!

Here are my lathes, I figure I better post some pictures before I start to thin the herd. I made a deal with the misses that I would get rid of least two lathes if I could go ahead and get a mill. I will be keeping the MKII but, not sure of which other ones I might hold onto. Enjoy the pictures, Chris.

Lathes06022010008.jpg

Lathes06022010006.jpg

Lathes06022010003.jpg

Lathes06022010004.jpg

Lathes06022010005.jpg

nice collection of lathes you have there i really like how you set up your work spaces lol and the hole in your peg bored

Lathes06022010008.jpg

Here is my Sakai Japanese Lathe at the end of the balcony.There is no hope of buying more machine tools though
I have added on a Sakai Vertical Mill.Both cost me a bomb.Foto was taken 2004 when shop was brand new with three work benches.You will need a magnifying glass to pick out my mini Sakai Lathe.
Sad to say I have purchesed complete machine tools.I had two Leblond engine lathe with auto speed selector.
They gave me very good jobs.
Built 200 ton benders,300 ton deep draw press,1/2" x 60" capacity bending rolls,overhead cranes and auto sub-arc welding machines.Plant shutdown and all went to scrap dealers in 2001.
Today I have happy memories of so many equipment Ingersoll-Rand let me built.

IMG.jpg

An old Boxford is put on an even older piece of granite.
Run out on the shown testbar is less or equal to noise of the dial indicator.
It is driven from a frequency converter and using a twist link belt.
Speed is limited at 1700 rpm by the noise of the geartrain to the Norton gearbox and me being a chicken.
A friend of mine has put a belt drive in his lathe and this takes care of the noise. Using strong beer to go from chicken to rooster is not adviceable.
I dreamt of buying a Hardinge,Schaublinn,Weiler etc but suddenly saw myself as an ridiculous old man being servant to a young and expensive wife.
I feel more comfortable trying to get good work from that 80 year old enginering disaster.My wife and I have had 40 year aniversary.

DSC00002.JPG

Boxford 001.jpg

Boxford 002.jpg

My friend Don let me know about a Logan lathe for sale. He said it was in very good condition and the price was right. So on a blazing hot day last week we drove to a house in New Jersey, hauled it out of the basement and loaded it onto Don’s flatbed. We unloaded it in my garage the following day. Did I mention Don is 70 and I’m 63? It’s amazing how a good piece of machinery motivates!

The lathe bed was cast in 1947 (too ironic, age 63!!), and the complete machine was sold in 1949 as a 10” Model 825. It stayed in the same family for all these years passing from one generation to the next. It was well cared for and is all original as far as I can tell. This machine is a fine example of US engineering and also as a well made tool capable of doing work to the degree of accuracy I will need. I feel quite fortunate to be the new owner.

To make room in the shop I sold my first lathe, a Grizzly 9x20. I truly was sad to see it leave the shop but I think the new owner will soon come to realize its potential as I did. It served me well and certainly introduced me to a whole new world of enjoyment and challenge.

Here are a few pictures of the Logan in my basement. It is not yet in running condition. It needs to be wired up then I should start making chips with it.

Loganiii.jpg

Loganii.jpg

Cheers,
Phil

A great find Phil. It looks like you are missing the gear cover.
There is a Yahoo site for Logan owners. Actually there are two, with one of them sponsored by Scott Logan at Logan Actuator.

nice lathe there, and a peculiar base, with that pipe folded to form a single foot

Thanks Stan, Zee, Ariz. Stan, the only part not installed is the gearbox cover but I do have it. I've bookmarked the Logan sites.

Cheers,
Phil

Back