Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good one Phil,

It sure looks like it's in good nick. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob. It is in a little better shape than I am considering we're both the same age. For one thing it has all its (gear) teeth. For another thing, it doesn't seem to leak at all :big:

Cheers,
Phil

An Atlas metal lathe I inheirited from my late father last May:
DadsAtlasLathe.jpg

Longview:
LathLongView.jpg

I just got it reassembled in my garage but don't know if I have it right, but it seems to work!
I do have to find a narrower belt for the main motor belt. The transmission belt is old but stays where you set it. The main drive belt keeps slipping off, but it is new and too wide.
DadsAtlasLathe4.jpg

B-N,

I loved my old Atlas 10F, and up to now, I did a lot of my best work using it.

The belt can be a problem, as you have to disassemble the whole spindle just to change it. I changed mine to a Redthane tubing one, joined by heat at the ends, so it was just a matter of cutting the old v belt off and threading the circular belt on, and then heat joining the ends. You can do the same sort of thing with link belting. It might be a touch expensive for the initial outlay, but that is offset by not having the trauma of stripping the head down.

Very nice lathe BTW.

Bogs

This is my 1st lathe,my boss got it from some where,so asked if I could have it,built my clock movement with it,sold it on for an Atlas then sold that for a Myford super 7
Before
cars008.jpg

After
cars007.jpg

Don

good looking lathes fellows, I have a six inch Atlas, love it and sure would love to have that Myford, you did a great job bring him back from the dead, I tell my wife it not what it is but what it can be, that is a good example, glad for you fellows, Laht Nut

I have just finished refurbishing a 1972 Boxford AUDII. A complete strip down, cleaning, rebuild of several parts, rewiring and finally refinishing. Time to retire my 1988 Taiwanese 9X20!

Cheers,

Adrian

Before.JPG

After.JPG

What a lovely job you have done of that Adrian, it now looks too good to be used.

That range of Boxford lathes really are almost bombproof, and were the mainstay of most school and college workshops. So plenty of spares (new and old) to be had.

For the price you can still pick them up for, they are a bargain to be had. Around here, they go at the local scrappies for about 400 squid (ex college and schools clearance), so a little work (or a lot) as you have done, there is no reason not to have a reasonable sized lathe in your shop.

Wonderful work.

Bogs

Wow, that is a very nice restoration job :bow:

I am just at the last steps and details of the restoration of my new lathe, guess what machine it is ;D

Here's a picture how i bought it (almost 2 years ago now)
771_bbed15d713749d4316b37cc08e77f678.jpg

And what it looked like 3 weeks ago (when i noticed the bed needs some grinding to get in a good shape again; there was 5/100 mm difference on the square guide and thats too much for mee...)
771_674bd092466ac19bd8afb3b10611ff3b.jpg

Cheers
Florian

Yeah, its mine... ;D

Of course i want to know if anyone knows its brand.. ( I do...)

Cheers 8)

I'll try to describe my David as someone requested... ;D
The bed, in stabilized cast iron is very rigid. It is very well machined and free of any flaw
DSC02763.jpg

DSC08904.jpg

Headstock is an Enbloc, well sized and machined with accuracy.
Chuck spindle: The chuck spindle rotates on adjustable TIMKEN taper roller bearings and really free and without any noise.
Drive system: Machine drive is obtained by a set of pulleys and V-belts and mine had a modification now It has a inverter control system so I use just two mechanical combination, slow and high position, and the infinite variation by the potentiometer.
DSC02501.jpg

DSC08906.jpg

The automatic work feeds is really useful. I requested to Ceriani factory a little modification like the reversing gear system so I’m capable to do a reverse treading!!
DSC02496-1.jpg

DSC02502-1.jpg

Carriage: The carriage with apron is well proportioned and slides on dove tail guide ways protected by oil scrapers; it is fitted with a self-adjusting jib. Traverses take place by means of a hand wheel and rack gear.
DSC02761.jpg

Saddles: The saddles are sturdy and easy to adjust, equipped with precision screws mounted on ball bearings and with well engraved adjustable vernier. The adjustable tailstock is also equipped with a adjustable vernier and it turns, unfortunately, counterclockwise. I contacted Ceriani brothers several times suggesting the modification of that rotation sense. The quick blocking happens, without any hesitation, through a comfortable lever.
DSC02766.jpg

The pivoting protection screen and the carter door are protected by micro switches
DSC02764.jpg

I had also the two chuck, a three and four jaws, mounted on the back plates by Ceriani. I adapted another back plate on the 5C chuck . Now I can change chucks without losing precision. I didn’t measured the backlash but the resulting works done until now seems To be really precise.
DSC02298.jpg

Compared to other lathes of the same category I preferred that lathe due to the 32 mm spindle hole
DSC02297.jpg
and his relative light weight, 80kg a really bench top lathe, instead of 180kg for a similar lathe.

I'm a newby to this forum and I'm showing the lathes I use.....I work mainly in micromechanics and these little machines are all I need for the moment....

First the most discussed Emco Unimat 3....some love it, others hate it.....its given me faithfull service for more than 35 years....

P1140001.jpg

Then there's the Boley F-1......filthy precise with all its original box of accesories...
bol1.jpg

BoleyF-1accesoriesbox.jpg

And then the WW Lorch 7, which I got for very little $$$, and overhauled completely...mighty precise machine too, and what's best is that all the Boley's accesories fit right in....

P5040007.jpg

Thanks for looking....

Mario

Here's my 9" Southbend, I can't take credit for the rebuild. I bought it of a friend who did all of the work. ;D
DSCF3025.jpg

Here's my Craftsman 101./Atlas 618. I'm new to latheing and bought this a couple weeks ago for $500 w/set of change gears, 3 & 4 Jaw chuck. Looks and works great!

S6002492.jpg

S6002469.jpg

Having looked through the thread from the start, I did not see many Harrisons. ???

This is my M250, bought in 1986

Pete

harrison m250.jpg

Back