Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
artrans said:
brian the hand wheel to the far right attached to the screw I never saw a hand wheel there.
right below that is your drill chuck key

I follow what you are aiming at -- In the picture - just below the wheel on the tail stock is a wheel on the farthest right hand extreme of the lead screw...

No yellow handle on the wheel - just plain like the TS wheel.

That is the wheel he is wondering why / or what it does... AM I right there Airtrans?

Hi Folks & mogogear

Another version, much as Brian said ...

I use it for [ say] cutting a reduced diameter on a shaft. eg Stock 3/4" reduce to 1/2" for 1".

I can use the topslide, [ compound slide to some, I believe ], but it may not be set to cut parallel to lathe axis.

So:

Put S/C gearbox to neutral.
Wind carriage to job with handwheel, [ one on apron ]
Put some cut on
Engage Half Nuts
Advance by Leadscrew Handwheel to touch barstock.
Note reading on L/S Handwheel [graduated 0 - 125 .. 8 TPI Leadscrew ]
Wind along 8 full turns.
Now have 1" reduced to whatever cut I put on.
Repeat until down to 1/2".

Just more precise than the apron traverse, which I use more often I must admit.
There if I want it. I don't think a lathe minus the facility is at any great disadvantage.

Also used when using Milling Slide on lathe.

Takes longer to describe than to do..

Dave ...

Bluechip said:
All Posh people have 'em ;)

Indeed we do, Dave! ;D (or, at least, I did :'()

I added one to my South Bend 10K years ago. The picture's not too clear, but you can see it over at the right end:

MY10K.jpg

It had a graduated collar on it (zero-resettable), so it could be used for precise longitudinal movements, particularly where the dial indicator didn't have enough travel. To use it, you had to disengage the right gear tumbler lever (to decouple the leadscrew from the spindle gears), and engage the half-nuts.

I didn't use it all that much (I no longer have the lathe), though it was great to have when needed. A drawback is that, since the leadscrew is 8 TPI, the wheel had .125" per revolution (rather than the more useful .100"/rev.)

Paula

Edit: Here's a closer view of the handwheel:

LSFEED.jpg

Hi Paula & Folks

A Re-settable index would be better, the Myford is a one-piece item. I put the L/S handwheel to the zero, then I just use the topslide to contact the bar end.

Another drawback is to leave an oilcan under the handle. As the L/S handle rotates, it puts hideous downward force on the oilcan, which then departs this life with a God-awful bang :eek:

How do I know that ???

Dave

MOGOGEAR you are right I like that feature ain't that the way always like what you don't have :( anyway it looks good

well this is the first time trying to post a video this is the hf micro lathe i picked up on sale
I think its pretty cool I am cutting alum scrap it works really well I think it would be good for small items like valves and valve guides let me what you think of the machine and of the video thanks art [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arO0LGjxH1E[/youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arO0LGjxH1E

Art,

Nice machine and good video. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Art

That's a sieg CO i believe ?
I have one also, have you made any adjustments to it yet ?
How's the tailstock alignment ?
Mine was atrocious but with some fettling they can produce surprisingly accurate work.
The CO lathe groups are helpful in that respect.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Hi All,
Jack again. This is the lathe I have owned for about 2 years. It is a Grizzly 0554 and I bought it from a re-po depot complete with all the standard acc. + the Acurite 2 axis DRO and the q/c tool post for $3000. It looked like it had very little use and the only chips I found were brass and nylon. am very pleased with it's performance but the chinese motor gave up the ghost after about 1 year. I had a US 3hp replacement motor that is working fine.

SDC10077.JPG

SDC10075.JPG

Once had a boss who claimed its not the tools that make the results but the mechanic who uses the tool to achieve the results. I dont think he ever tried to work with this little lathe, or perhaps his overly shinning dome was the result of such endeavors.

Its a Craftsman 109 sleeve bearing model from many decades ago. Used within limits (have already bent two spindles) and a bit of regular alignment checking it at least gets me away from those never ending, all so important, cant we just talk conversations, the Bride keeps mumbling about.

109.jpg

Majority of setup ideas were obtained from this site, worst habit is leaving the chuck key (which is black) on the stool (which is also black) and after the 10 minute hunt for where the heck is that thing goes by, its another hit in the head to put it on the rack where it belongs. But then exactly what fun is an orginized mind anyway.

Foozer said:
Its a Craftsman 109 sleeve bearing model from many decades ago. Used within limits (have already bent two spindles) and a bit of regular alignment checking it at least gets me away from those never ending, all so important, cant we just talk conversations, the Bride keeps mumbling about.

And another reason to find a bride who actually approves of (and even knows her way around) a shop - none of those conversations. The 109 is one of several lathes I'm looking at - pretty much a generic search for a 6" lathe including the problematic 109.

Your setup is lovely - neat & orderly (which is actually somewhat disturbing since there are neither swarf nor chips showing) and nicely *shudder* organized. Of course, organization is a sign of a diseased mind which makes you fit in here nicely. :)

Best regards,

kludge

Here is my new toy... My first lathe, a 1963 Chipmaster.
Acquired from a local engineering shop, 5 minutes down the road. It has been in storage for the last couple of years. It was used by the late owner of the shop for Model Engineering. The paintwork is a bit untidy, but mechanically it is in good order. I have seen it running on 3 Phase, and now I am waiting for a tame Electrician to put in a new supply for a VFD, so I can start cutting chips.
The photo is "as delivered". within 5 minutes of it hitting my shop floor, so it is pretty dirty.

Stuart

colchester-006.jpg

These are my lathes. I started out with a 7X12 mini-lathe for about two years and was lucky to fine a old SB last year. The SB is a 1929 11"swing 36" between centers. It is just like me (slow but usually gets the job done).

Richard

Picture 002.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Stuart B said:
The photo is "as delivered". within 5 minutes of it hitting my shop floor, so it is pretty dirty.

But ... but ... but ... it has character! It has a presence! It has attitude! Why are people so fast to make their toys pretty when they mess up those very important factors? *sigh* ... It's madness, I tell you! Madness!

Have fun with it, Stuart ... not that there's any possible way you won't.

BEst regards,

Kludge

I want to show another one, if my wife will let me get it, went and looked at one today, Lodge and Shipley, 16" swing with about 10 bed, had the tapper attachment, steady rest and all the tooling, on three phase, has not been run in a few years the lady said, hit the switch and run perfect, offered her $200.00, blank stare, don't really need it but would like to have it, then loading it would be something by my lonesome, might work out, just what I need another lathe, it loves me I can tell, Love at first sight, if we make a deal with post the pic's of where it sleeps, Lathe nut

OOOOOOOH 16"L&S! getitgetitgetitgetitgetit!!!!!

;D

Dave

Stuart B said:
Here is my new toy... My first lathe, a 1963 Chipmaster.
Acquired from a local engineering shop, 5 minutes down the road. It has been in storage for the last couple of years. It was used by the late owner of the shop for Model Engineering. The paintwork is a bit untidy, but mechanically it is in good order. I have seen it running on 3 Phase, and now I am waiting for a tame Electrician to put in a new supply for a VFD, so I can start cutting chips.

Stuart
What's the serial number on your Chippie? Mine's G2944, also 1963 vintage. Mine does not have the dual micrometer dials. Mine's been repainted and the bare iron surfaces were ground, so it looks neater.

Kludge said:
And another reason to find a bride who actually approves of (and even knows her way around) a shop - none of those conversations. The 109 is one of several lathes I'm looking at - pretty much a generic search for a 6" lathe including the problematic 109.

Your setup is lovely - neat & orderly (which is actually somewhat disturbing since there are neither swarf nor chips showing) and nicely *shudder* organized. Of course, organization is a sign of a diseased mind which makes you fit in here nicely. :)

Best regards,

kludge

Not so neat to the eye of the Bride

shop-1.jpg

But to me its all part of paradise. Have to yard it all back to the little cubby holes to make room for the kids suspension rework. He buys the propane to heat the place and I give directions. Current aray of perfectly placed items are for the motor change over from the "hate swapping belts" to a variable speed DC job for the little 109.

crankshaft-1.gif

Funny but I seem to have heaps of those - difference is mine are better hidden and quite often it takes several attempts to convince one to give up its' secrets. ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

rklopp said:
What's the serial number on your Chippie?  Mine's G2944, also 1963 vintage.  Mine does not have the dual micrometer dials.  Mine's been repainted and the bare iron surfaces were ground, so it looks neater.

G2817.  It is missing the original splash guard, but the guys who I bought it from are making me a sheet steel one FOC. I also need to find a faceplate.

Latest posts

Back