Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shred said:
Sweet.. I have a very similar 6" Atlas/Craftsman, though somebody long ago managed to convert it to a cabinet under-drive.

Somebody will be along shortly about that chuck key though...

I am new but not that new--- she is not even wired to be plugged in yet...I did not mean to display a demo on "how to be shot in the chest by chuck key" scenario...Point well taken and understood!! :-[

Here's my 1953 Cincinatti Traytop 12.5" X 18". It is a very stout lathe for its limited length. I also have my grandfather's original 10" Atlas that I rebuilt a couple of years ago and have never used. The Atlas has everything in the way of accessories, but no taper attachment. The last two photos are of an original Hardinge Cataract I am rebuilding in my spare time. I have everything ready for paint, just can't decide on a color. Maybe fire engine red? -Mike
traytop017.jpg

Image46.jpg

cataract08002.jpg

Cscraping013.jpg

Holescreek said:
The last two photos are of an original Hardinge Cataract I am rebuilding in my spare time. I have everything ready for paint, just can't decide on a color. Maybe fire engine red? -

First off, welcome to HMEM. We're friendly. Mostly. That guy in Hawaii can be an irritation at times though.

Please tell us more about the Hardinge Cataract. The WW type bed caught my attention so I read a little on them at my favorite UK lathe site but it doesn't say half enough. Things like 7" or 9", when was it made, what kind of shape was it in when you got it, was anything missing or unusable, how long have you been working on it, what you'll be using to turn it, and so on would be ever so nice.

Fire Engine Red ... would look a bit like a tool room tart, I'd think. A very sedate black wrinkle (used by Derbyshire on some of their machines) or maybe maroon ... something with a touch of elegance, y'know. ;D

Best regards and, again, welcome to the forum,

Kludge

Holescreek said:
just can't decide on a color. Maybe fire engine red?

Saw a Monarch 10EE on Practical Machinist this week painted Orange, looked mighty fine! A refreshing change from grey, black or hammerite blue.

Nice work on your lathes, wish I had your application!

Welcome
Gotta go with Kludge this time.
Saw an ML7 on Ebay recently painted RED, Oh dear not a
good look.
That black one looks great maybe a repeat?
BR

I found the Cataract locally on Craigslist. It looked like it had been sitting in a barn for the last several decades. Most of the knobs and handles were broken off and just needed the usual TLC. The project has been sidelined through the summer, I have everything taped off for paint. I have seen one of these painted purple! I need this lathe like a hole in the head. I already have the Atlas taking up valuable space. I have a soft spot for old machinery that still has so much potential.
cataract001.jpg

cataract007.jpg

cataract08005.jpg

cataract08004.jpg

Kluge, I was stationed in HI at Kaneohe MCAS from '78-81. I still don't want to go back, much to my wife's dismay. Too much paradise at a young age!
Yes Macona's Monarch lathe is very impressive in red, you should see the early hi-res photos in the archives after he first painted it. I don't know why, but after working on grey nachines for over 25 years I think they should be as fun to look at as they are to run. -Mike

This is my 10" x 18" lathe from Busy Bee in Canada. It is a #B2227L and is made in China. Overall I am quite happy with this lathe, and it serves very well for what I do with it. I am slightly ashamed of how dirty it looks compared to some of the lathe pictures I see displayed on this thread. I clean up the swarf and give it a wipe down occasionally, but it is far from some of the show peices on here.---Brian
MYLATHE001.jpg

Brian two questions I never saw a lathe with the spindle hand wheel by the tail stock is that a combo machine I see you have the carrage hand wheel and the lead screw has one also rubber hammer I like that idea I can hit myself in the head when I screw up what do you use yours for. :big: :big:

Artrans--I'm not terribly sure what you mean, but--if I turn the handwheel on the apron of the cross slide, it moves the entirecarriage left or right---it has a pinion which engages a rack attached to the front of the lathe. If I flip up the handle with the yellow end on it , just to the right of the handwheel, that engages the half nuts. When the half nuts are engaged, I can not use that handwheel to move the carriage right or left, but I can manually turn the handwheel at the right hand end of the lead screw to turn the leadscrew and thus move the carriage along. There is another handle with a yellow end on it, just to the right of the red on/off button that engages the power feed to the leadscrew. (You can see a line of brass filings setting on top of the rack, just in behind the leadscrew) The rubber hammer is used when I change chucks.

brian the hand wheel to the far right attached to the screw I never saw a hand wheel there.
right below that is your drill chuck key

Mike N said:
Does this lathe have power feed on the carriage?

There is another handle with a yellow end on it, just to the right of the red on/off button that engages the power feed to the leadscrew.

Artrans

Myfords have 'em too ..

006.jpg

All Posh people have 'em ;)

Dave

Here's my lathe, sitting in the former owner's workshop. Just making a quick repair to the gearbox (maybe done tonight), and should be good to go. That, combined with the wood stove just installed in my workshop (don't know about you Brian, but it just keeps snowing here in Hamilton), will let me give it a good workout soon.

IMG_8512.jpg

FYI, it's a Logan Model 821. 10" swing, 31" bed.

Holescreek said:
I found the Cataract locally on Craigslist.... I need this lathe like a hole in the head. I already have the Atlas taking up valuable space. I have a soft spot for old machinery that still has so much potential.

That feeling is well known here in HMEM. Quite a few machines here have been resurrected from the dead to go onto live healthy, happy & productive lives. Due to space considerations I can't get anything with the bed length this has but it's the right idea as to type. Nice and basic with no bells & whistles, just like the typical watchmaker's lathe. :D

Of course, if I were to follow through with the watchmaker's lathe comparison, then I'd think it should be given a very heavy nickel or chrome plate finish. :D

Kluge, I was stationed in HI at Kaneohe MCAS from '78-81. I still don't want to go back, much to my wife's dismay. Too much paradise at a young age!

There've been a few changes. Barbers Point NAS is closed (1999) and the VP squadrons fly out of Kaneohe now, still with the Orions but soon to upgrade to Poseidons. The ANG is still flying F-15s but will get F-22s in the next year or two, and the AF is flying C-141s (or are they C-5As?) and the occasional tanker.

The Corps practices amphibious landings at Bellows (now closed ... kind of); the state government is still just as messed up if not more so; you can once again get anything you want on Hotel St, you just have to look harder; we still love the 'Bows (It's an act of treason not to. ;)); no one knows which direction North is; and 'da kine' is still a noun, verb and adjective. Maybe adverb too, I'm not sure.

I moved here in 2000 from PA completely blind. I'd never been here before but I was told it's both senior and veteran friendly ... both of which have since gone downhill due to budget problems. My residence now is a tiny studio on the Waianae (Leeward) Coast inside the tsunami zone but with direct access to the ocean.
As to too much paradise ... I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out by now. :big:

Best regards,

KLudge

Brian, That would make a great lathe for conversion to CNC! Relpace the leadscrew handwheel with a stepper...

wespe, I didn't see what the model number was at first but I had it pegged for an 820. I resurrected one a few years ago and used it up until I got the Traytop. It is a great machine for it's size class. I think I still have drawings and parts lists for it.

we still love the 'Bows (It's an act of treason not to.
Kludge, I don't remember (if I knew) what that means! I do miss the scuba diving.

-Mike

thats a cool feature also i love myford lathes. and a monache 10ee are two of my dream machines I would love to own one day

I am still curious about that handwheel on the end of the screw. I have never seen it before either. Now I have seen it on two lathes.

Brian has explained how it works. I still am confused as when you would use that feature as opposed to using the handwheel on the carriage itself. Does it work better for certain operations? ??? ???

The handwheel on the face of the compound rest gives a very rapid movement of the compound rest, but is not used as a "feed" feature for cutting. It is basically used to rapidly reposition the compound rest, thats all. When the half nuts are engaged, the handwheel which you are curious about is used to turn the leadscrew and give a slow, manually controlled feed to the compound rest.

Here is my lathe, it is a Smithy 1220XL. I have converted it to cnc but with the MPG's I can use it as a manual at any time. I have as much fun changing the lathe as I do makin engines. The lathe/mill now has ball screws on all three axis and linear bearings on the x-y/z ways.
DSC00021.jpg

Back