Rudy Kouhoupt Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GKNIPP

Reaction score
I am seeking for the source of plans for the Rudy Kouhoupt Engine as seen in the pictures. Please note that it is not the standard Walking Beam Engine which is available on the John-Tom website and ran as an article in Popular Mechanics Magazine many years ago. I am not sure what, if any, of the books published with Rudy's designs contain them.
I would be very appreciative to any help I can receive and thank you in advance as well.

Greg

Rudy30b.jpg

Rudy30a.jpg

Greg,
as far as I know I don't think plans were ever published for the engine you have posted photos of. That engine is in the Craftsmanship Museum as I am sure you know. I think Rudy built that engine as a one of a kind and then built the simplified version for publication in Popular Mechanics (Aug 69), but I may have the order they were built reversed. Many of his engine designs were never published. He just built them for himself.
Gail in NM

Another FWIW comment. The Math for both engines is the same and is also the same for Elmer's #387 Grasshopper engine. There are only a few critical ratios for the straight line movement and getting the valve right and then the rest is all cosmetics. I can help with that as can a lot of other forum members if you want to go with that approach.
Gail in NM

Thank you all so much.

I may look into getting the detailed drawings of his beam engine from Popular Mechanics.

Greg

Gregg,

If you can't find the plans for what you need, I can point you in the right direction for either of these two engines, one is a beam, the other a grasshopper. Both of these have been made, not by me (I did make the flywheels though) but a good friend, and work very well on air and can be made with cheap aluminium for most of the build. The instructions are all in French, but the plans are so good you don't need them, just make the bits and assemble.

I would suggest you click on the resize bar at the top of the pictures.

Pages%20from%20MV%2016x32%20bal1%2000%2000_zpsrdohac8w.jpg

Pages%20from%20MV%2016x32%20bal2%2000%2000_zpszxhfprme.jpg

John

I can add this pic from the latin edition of PM. Hope it helps. :)

nota52-eo.jpg

John, could you please point me in the direction for both of those designs. Thank you.

Greg Norman

Greg,

Both sets of plans can be purchased from here

http://jpduval.free.fr/Liste%20des%20plans/Liste_dossiers_plans.html

If you want some free plans for other types, go to here and click on the pictures

http://jpduval.free.fr/Plans_moteurs_vapeur_p1.htm

Read your PM's as I have sent you a bit of personal info.

This is a picture of one that my friend made, with my flywheel mounted onto it.
As you can see, in places he has added some extra bits plus he has used other materials different to what are shown on the plans (I recommend doing this as it makes the engine you build more personal), like both support plates are made from perspex rather than aluminium, plus, if you are not up to it, there is no need to profile the beam as shown, as long as the pivot points are in the right place, it will work. You could even make the beam and column out of wood as long as you sleeved the bearing holes with brass tube.

dsc_0049_zpsbxzwts5a.jpg

John

Last edited:
Greg,
I am having no joy with your email address, are you trying to communicate by email through a phone, if so, it isn't working.

I am getting your emails, but mine just aren't getting through to you.

John

Your last email was received. Thank you so much. I'm not sure why it isn't working through my phone though. That is sure strange.
Thank you so much again for all of your help.

Greg Knipp

I have Rhudy's book with the plans for the walking beam. I have just finished my version. Would be happy to share.
Cymro77

Back