Reality Check please

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard1

Reaction score
I have been offered the following band saw but is it likely to be as useful as it looks. I sometimes get over enthusiastic and buy stuff that is nice but really doesn't get used, hence the request for others opinions. It is rather overkill for a model shop but then I think it will never wear out in my lifetime and is much cheaper than a new small saw from Machine Mart or similar.

front.jpg

side.jpg

back.jpg

Description
Do All Vertical Bandsaw / Band filer
Throat depth 36inch,
Main Table size 30 x 30inch, secondary table 20 x 17inch.
Has blade welder and grinder.
Infinitely variable speeds,
Coolant
3phase 440volts
Ex Toolroom

Price is £250 delivered
Takes blade from 1/16 to 1 inch, 162 long it has been mostly used with 1/2 inch blade as the rubber surface of the bottom wheel is worn on the front half only, not down to bare metal yet but can it be recovered when it does and where (in England)?
I can just fit it in the shop, do have the power to run it and can get bandsaw blades made up at £18 for bi-metalic 14TPI but cannot find a source for band files, any ideas.
Will however have to get rid of an Accuraturn peg board automatic lathe to fit this in, I've never even set that up so it won't be any real loss. Does anyone want it cheap?

Richard.

Sounds like a bargain t'me.

you have the ability to make your own blades from a roll.These bandsaws have a welding attatchment on them,providing it still works.You can see it on the first picture to the left of the blade speed dial.Comes in handy if you break one on a sunday.

Best regards Steve C.

Just read the first post through properly and see that blade welder was listed already.Please ignore last post.

steve c.

I personally like "industrial" machines rather than "hobby" machines. You will likely never see the end of that saw's useful life in a hobby shop, and it will likely handle anything you could ever throw at it.

One drawback is the cost of repairs, the parts can be terribly expensive. I usually overlook that fact and am faced with making the parts myself or finding something else that will work.

You may already be aware, however, that people interested in machining have a very high risk of contracting "packrat syndrome" and eventually have more "neat" stuff than space will permit. The fact that you have a pegboard machine leads me to believe that you are already infected :big:

Kevin

That is why I asked for a reality check. Living in a small upstairs council flat I have to rent some workshop space in an old Sheffield industrial yard and there is so much cool stuff that I just have to have. You would be amazed (or maybe not) what you can fit into 20 foot square! Looks like I will buy this then and drag the peg board out of the shop and sell it. Will post a photo of the shop one day if I can ever find a vantage point to photograph it from. ;D

Richard.

I am surprised there's still a market for a pegboard, but if there isn't, you could saw it up :eek:.

Actually, I have seen them for sale, and I wouldn't mind having one to toy around with, but I remember them as being a real PITA at times. That, and the fact that my shop is starting to run over into my garage space, has kept me from buying one. I don't actually use the garage as an actual garage, but I do need to keep it cleaned up enough to back the truck in (to unload stuff).

Pegboards are cool machines though.

I don't think I could pass up the saw either, not at that price anyway. I have a small vertical (old Craftsman with a gear reduction) in the shop that does a good job; but it will be moving out sometime soon. There's a Roll-In saw sitting in my garage waiting to take it's place.

Kevin

Richard if you have the funds and room go for it. if I am not mistaken VFDs will solve the power issues and are cheap. check automation Direct. The blade welder alone is worth having. A new wilton 14 " is over a thousand US.
You can also get filing bladed for those and do filing on them you can make blades for yourself and friends. that machine will cut just about any material and should have an auto feed setup for straight cuts.
Tin

As Tin said

Besides, if you do get tired of it, I suspect you could sell it for more than you paid for it.....

If you can swing it....do it.

Dave

That doall"s a great saw. I have used one before and loved the air feed on it. Clamp a part down, start the feed and go do something else while it saws away, the one I used had about 12" feed. Not sure about repairs in your area, but you could look up Doall's number in the states and they should be able to help you locate repair parts. If I had the funds, it would have a new home.

I have the bandsaw, now I just have to work out how to get it into the shop and the peg board out. Fun and games.

Richard.

Here you go photos of the pegboard. I will miss it but really don't have the room for it especially when you consider the bar feed takes up another 15 feet. It was a good lathe and really all it needs is a good clean oil and compressed air supply.

http://80.177.213.1/images/dsc00452.jpg
http://80.177.213.1/images/dsc00452.jpg
http://80.177.213.1/images/dsc00453.jpg
http://80.177.213.1/images/dsc00454.jpg

The peg board has adjustable stops like a capstan and adjustable air controls to vary the feed rates. Will get some more photos of the stops tomorrow if I remember.

Latest posts

Back