Rupnow-Johnno Vertical hit and miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johno1958

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have made a start. Last week I had a 115mm x 130 mm length aluminum round which took me about 2 and a bit hours to do 3 cuts on my little 6x4 horizontal band saw .This week I decided to bore out the interior
of the crankcase .Having done very little boring before I thought I would start with a 1/2 inch hole and bore to 2.3 inches and get some practice, never again start with the biggest hole you can drill then bore.It seemed to take for ever.I then got on to the two side plates which I machined up and fitted the bearings. Some parts of the plans I will change here and there to metric as my reamers ,taps ,ect are all metric so the bearings I used are 10x30x9 mm. IMG_20190908_135141.jpg
This project will take me some time to so it is going to be a slow thread.

Today I did a bit of drilling and tapping and pondered the best way for me to cut out the shape. The little 6x4 band saw can cut vertically with a table that came with it but I don't
want spend hours straddled across that thing so I think I may put it back in the lathe and turn it down close to the points . I put some little dimples on the edges of the scribe d lines so
I could see more easily .Then mill flat.It's going to make a mess so if there is better way please let me know.IMG_20190910_135325.jpg IMG_20190910_135304.jpg
John

Yes that's right Brian. I have one of theseMain.jpg and It can be fitted with a small table.images.jpg
I have used it for cutting plate aluminum before but for me it was not very pleasurable. One fellow on a forum don't know which ,made a seat for his which might be an option .
John

Johno, that's the type of band saw I have. the table is flimsy and warps and the screws work their way loose all the time. no close up sawing for me when I use mine. I even chain drill for thicker stuff on mine. but it was cheap from harbor freight.... what brand is yours?

Werowance , yes I have only cut 10mm aluminum and found it very flimsy.There are a lot of modifications out there you can do to make them more usable in the vertical mode.
Mine is a cheap one I bought from Hare and Forbes here in Australia and it cuts very straight .Fantastic saw for the price

I have the same one and it's one of the best tools I ever bought. What used to take me 2 hours with a hacksaw (and ruined my entire day) now happens automatically while I have a coffee or get set up for something else. I can't count the amount of times I wasted days trying to save a part just because I didn't want to saw off another piece of stock.

I have to agree on that .I got mine as a birthday present from my better half and I keep telling her it's the best tool I own

I'm not saying its not a time saver, just saying that mine could be a little beefier. the stand is flimsy, the table is flimsy and the band guides on mine aren't even adjustable. all I can do is slide them in and out. most have an adjustment where the ball bearings mount to make it a little more accurate. mine doesn't even have that. but yes it definitely beats the hack saw. id go crazy if that's all I had to work with. my arm might be stronger though.. :)

a couple of googled pics to show what I'm talking about. the first one is like mine with no real adjusters on it. just blade width by moving the bearings. the second picture is the better one that allows you to really tweak and get a straight cut. - the kind I don't have.

anyway I don't want to hijack your thread. the engine is coming along nicely Johno.

upload_2019-9-13_9-26-41.png

upload_2019-9-13_9-27-55.png

Are you sure that the "screws" mounting the bearings are not eccentric? That's what my saw has to adjust the blade tracking.

These hacksaws are a great timesaver and are worth having, even if they have a lot to be desired. Just like the rest of the imported from asia low-cost machines, they are much improved by modifications and there are many threads on what people have done.

--ShopShoe

I don't have a face plate or lathe dog yet so I made something that I hope will do the job on the crank shaft. Really slow going ,I am only getting a couple of hours a week on this project.
Hopefully that will change soon as I am going for a day shift job. Night shift has hair on it "Feel like a Zombie" and most days can't get out of my own way little own get any machining done.
Lol what a whinger.
Cheers
IMG_20190922_114426.jpg

I don't have a face plate or lathe dog yet so I made something that I hope will do the job on the crank shaft. Really slow going ,I am only getting a couple of hours a week on this project.
Hopefully that will change soon as I am going for a day shift job. Night shift has hair on it "Feel like a Zombie" and most days can't get out of my own way little own get any machining done.
Lol what a whinger.
Cheers
View attachment 111292
I have turned several crankshafts with this method (not all successfully). I ran onto the following video on YouTube and it made turning the crank a breeze:
You will need to turn a fixture, but it makes turning the center crank a no-brainer. Give it a try.

Thanks for that Loren I may definitely have to go that way but I will try Brian's method first and see what I can come up with or I may use a mix of both ways.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Brian.
Not much at the moment. Going for a new job and have an interview on Friday and that is about all I have been able to think about for the last few weeks.

Hi Johno,
Haven't heard from you for a while on this thread. I hope your job interview worked out.
If you are in a place with the vertical engine where you might need a little help/suggestions please give a holler. I am not a machinist by trade but self taught building IC engines and probably have some practical experience I could pass on if needed.
Ray M

Latest posts

Back