Radial Engine Plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Edwards plans are still available as free download & nothing has changed design wise since the builds. Although some folks may have made changes on their own. Edwards has a pump lubrication system

Ohrndorf offers a 5-cyl radial. Has enclosed rockers & pushrod tubes so slightly different cosmetic flavor. Note that you must also purchase his 9-cylinder plans because some parts are common. Makes it net more expensive proposition if only building the 5-cylinder. Original design calls for nose case bath lubrication. I'm building mine as mist flow through (like the Jung above & most/all? commercial methanol glow radials).

https://www.engineman.de/

Hi this may help

Best Regards
David

Attachments

• Forest Edwards Radial 5 - A08a.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 304
Thank you everyone for the links.

My next question- will the second row of a radial balance out the first row like a boxer? Or will that only work with 4 rows of cylinders?

There's also the 1/4 scale Wright Whirlwind J-5 as designed by Karl-Erik Olsryd
Grabcad link

lots of nice renders, but importantly there are PDF's of the drawings as well.
Not sure if the castings are still available - the family website I bought from is long gone...

Thank you everyone for the links.

My next question- will the second row of a radial balance out the first row like a boxer? Or will that only work with 4 rows of cylinders?
hogson radial has balance built into the crankshaft. The one I saw run purred like a kitten
It’s a complicated build but quite a number have been built. I have the drawing set and small casting he supplies he is very good support person too .
Byron

Nine finger mentions the Karl-Eric Olsryd engine. I’m in the process of building this, having bought an incomplete set of castings some time ago. New castings are unfortunately not available, which would be an added challenge if trying to make from plans. Making the planetary housing from bar stock as opposed to a casting was a major obstacle for me. Hopefully it works!

D710252D-4293-4538-95F9-DB3DC63D26ED.jpeg

Nine finger mentions the Karl-Eric Olsryd engine. I’m in the process of building this, having bought an incomplete set of castings some time ago. New castings are unfortunately not available, which would be an added challenge if trying to make from plans. Making the planetary housing from bar stock as opposed to a casting was a major obstacle for me. Hopefully it works!

View attachment 135727
Nice work!
Byron

Latest posts

Back