Potty Elbow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWHART

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

Quite a few months ago I stated a build of two Elbow Engines, I completed and got No 1 running and put No 2 on the back burner, two weeks ago I decided to complete No 2:- Hers a few pics of the build.

Valve port

100_1286.jpg

Drilling the base

100_3386.jpg

Milling out the flywheel hub

100_3335.jpg

Turning the flywheel rim

100_3315.jpg

Boring the hub

100_3380.jpg

Composite fly wheel assembled with high strength loctite

100_3381.jpg

Putting a bit of fancywork on the cylinders

100_3370.jpg

Adding radius to upright

100_3387.jpg

Squaring up an elbow

100_3392.jpg

Assembled engine after first test run

100_3397.jpg

I've got to tidy up the base and give it a good polish then I'll post a video of it running.

Cheers

Stew

Very neat engine. I just watched it on YouTube and looked at the plans on John-Tom.com. Mesmerizing motion. I'll be looking forward to your video and any other photos that you find. Thanks, this one is new to me. (not hard to do)

Someday........

Ed

Nice one, Stew. You make a good lookin' flywheel there, mister.

Dean

I rather fancy the scallops around the perimeter of the cylinders between the bores, it gives a very utilitarian effect to the pieces. Great looking flywheel too. Well done. :bow:

BC1
Jim

Looks great! Can you post a direct link to the plans?

Thanks,
Wes

Thanks for you kind comments and support chaps

Her you go Wes

http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/Steam Engines/ElbowEngine.pdf

The plans make it look a deceptively simple engine but in reality its very difficult engine to get running, as many on her will testify, squareness and alignment of the components are a critical feature of the design, you need set ups and machining methods that ensure you get squareness and alignment spot on.

I deviated from the plans quite a bit:- incorporating ideas from John Bogstandard along with some of my own, to try and avoid some of the pitfalls, I'm in the process of drawing my version up and will post them on her.

Thanks again

Stew

Beautiful build of the Elbow Engine Stew! :bow:

I have a love/hate feeling for that engine.
I love the simplicity of it's design, and hate it for busting my.....
well, for frustration it caused me in getting my first attempt at to run.

Rick

I will confirm that it is not an easy project. Multiple parts of elbow engines lie on the back of my bench waiting for a day when I feel so good that I just have to beat up myself again.

VERY nice elbow engine Stew :bow:

Looking forward to the video!

Regards, Arnold

Hi Stew
Great bit of work you've done there can't wait to see the video

Ken

Thanks again for you comments guys.

Test run the engine in comparison with No 1 engine this one runs a lot better, it keeps running for twice as long with a full tank of air. I'm going to have to have a good look at No 1 and try and get the same performance from it.

Finished the bling work, I don't like thing over done with shine, its a personal thing but to much polishing makes them look like they've had melted chocolate poor over them, not as there is anything wrong with melted chocolate, but not over an engine, I like them to look crisp and honest looking.

Any way hers a pic of No 1 and No 2

IMG_2040.jpg

And a one for the album

IMG_2043.jpg

And her,s the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVjsiqzU6Cs[/ame]

I'll crack on and get the drawings completed which will be next week some time.

Have fun

Stew

I love it ;D - thanks for the video Stew!

Now, would that magic dust perchance be some form of graphite powder ?

Kind Regards, Arnold

Awesome job stewart!

Like John said the cylinders look like revolver chambers which I think looks cool.

Thanks in advance for the drawings.

edit: I didn't catch the cartridges the first time. Obviously intentional, nice!

Very nicely done, Stew. The revolver cylinder look-alike, complete with fake cartridges, is a stroke of pure artistic genius.

Given the meaning of the term in American English, I should point out to the folks on this side of the pond that, to the British, 'potty' means loopy or nutty.

Hi Stew
Just seen the video, absolutely brilliant, and not a wobble in sight.
At one point a thought it was going to take off ,it was going that
fast.
Extremely well done, love the bling by the way ( revolver chambers )

Ken

arnoldb said:
I love it ;D - thanks for the video Stew!

Now, would that magic dust perchance be some form of graphite powder ?

Kind Regards, Arnold

Arnold

No the magic powder was just John's skill and knowledge in getting the best out of these little engines we make.

Thanks Marv

Potty is also a nick name we use for Stewart:- stew pot = potty, dare I ask what potty means in American English

I'm pleased you Guys have enjoyed the video and thanks again for your comments

Stew

Stew,

Brilliant. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

It runs just fabulous, Stew! One of the best Elbows I've seen yet.

SBWHART said:
Potty is also a nick name we use for Stewart:- stew pot = potty, dare I ask what potty means in American English

Stew

Well... Maybe this will give you an idea. I do some potty engineering myself; Thinking about engineering while I'm in the bathroom...

You get the drift.

Thanks for the new video!

Dean

Deanofid said:
It runs just fabulous, Stew! One of the best Elbows I've seen yet.

Well... Maybe this will give you an idea. I do some potty engineering myself; Thinking about engineering while I'm in the bathroom...

You get the drift.

Thanks for the new video!

Dean

Ok we're talking about a chamber pot what they used before indoor plumbing I think I can work out the connection.

Boy you can get yourself in some real trouble with our "common language" what you call an erasure we call a rubber, that could result in a slapped face or a baby :big: :big: :big: :big:

Have fun

Stew

Latest posts

Back