Path's Build for Rupnow's Hit Miss Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Path

Reaction score
Brian and others ...

Well it's about time ... posting my progress (as slow as it is) on Brian's Hit and Miss Engine. I haven't been able to work on it for at least 3-4 months maybe more for various reasons. And most of that has been making 2d sketches, solids, drawings and then assemblies. But I have some time now so I better get going.

I'm probably the last person to start this project and may very well be the last one to complete it. But it will get done and running. I will be following (for the most part) Brian's pdf drawings that were provided on his build thread, but converting them to SW 2014. Then I will make an assembly to see how the parts fit together. Then the drawings to make the parts using a manual lathe and mill and a CNC mill, the g-code will be provided via Camworks. A lot has already been done since I was following his thread closely during his build. But there is lot of work to be done, just hope I can do it in a timely fashion. However, I will break for family and paying fun.

Plan on lots of pictures and no doubt a lot of questions. Feel free to make comments and suggestions ... may keep me from doing something dumb.

Rupnow Hit Miss Engine_0948.jpg

I'll start with the base plate and you will undoubtedly notice that it's huge ... 2" longer and 1.5 wider. I thought that a bigger base would be good and why cut up a chunk of aluminum. If needed I can always make it smaller. The hole pattern is the same.

Rupnow Hit Miss Engine_1064.jpg

Shown is some of the material that I have gathered up so far... Brass for the Flywheels, found some 316 SS for the Cylinder, Aluminum for the Side Panels.
Even got the bearings.

Rupnow Hit Miss Engine_1065.jpg

Big cutter makes big cuts and looks nice too.

Rupnow Hit Miss Engine_1070.jpg

This is of course is the bottom where all the mounting screws go.

Rupnow Hit Miss Engine_1073.jpg

Trimming the edges.

Rupnow Hit Miss Engine_1075.jpg

Decided that I would like a chamfer and 90 degree corner. Sorry for the blurred picture.:eek:

That's it for now ... hope to add more next week. ;)

Pat H.

Pat--wonderful!!! I feel like a father who's just been told he can expect another child!!! Will follow carefully and help in any way I can.---Brian

Okay ... had some free time so here is an update on the HM. :)

This first shot is after CNCing the side panel. The next step is to flip it over and remove the remaining material to get the correct thickness.
Rupnow%20Hit%20Miss%20Engine_1076.jpg

Action shot of that side panel. Really throws the coolant all over.
Rupnow%20Hit%20Miss%20Engine_1083.jpg

The other side panel. Here I still need to remove the thin material, then flip it over to finish off the other side.
Rupnow%20Hit%20Miss%20Engine_1086.jpg

The bearing caps. Still need the mounting holes drilled. That will be done on the manual mill.
Rupnow%20Hit%20Miss%20Engine_1089.jpg

The bearing cap is mounted on the side panel machining the bearing hole. The other panel was done the same way.
Rupnow%20Hit%20Miss%20Engine_1091.jpg

Action shot ...
Rupnow%20Hit%20Miss%20Engine_1093.jpg

That's it for now until next week. ;)

Pat H.

Last edited:
Pat--I was talking to my Solidworks seller here in Ontario today about buying Solidworks 2014 (I'm still running 2012). He tells me there are some bad glitches in 2014 that they haven't been able to fix yet. How do you find it?---Brian

I am wondering why I can't see the pics in this thread. I see them in all the other ones.

Cheers,

Tom

Pat--I was talking to my Solidworks seller here in Ontario today about buying Solidworks 2014 (I'm still running 2012). He tells me there are some bad glitches in 2014 that they haven't been able to fix yet. How do you find it?---Brian

The reseller in Ontario is going to have to be a lot more specific. What "bad glitches" is he referring to? I'm using SW 2014 SP1.0 Standard Version, I understand that they have just release SP 2.0 to resolve some issues. It just so happens that my reseller (an Applications Engineer, certified expert, trainer etc) was over tonight for a project we are working on and showed him your question. He basically had no answer and also wonder what issues he was referring to. He did say that some resellers suggest to wait until SP 2 is out before upgrading ... as a general rule. That way if a problem does exist, it will have been resolved in SP 1 or SP 2.

I like my SW and have had no issues ... when I can't do something I get in touch with support and they guide me in the right direction. So far it has been me not SW. But I really don't use SW for the advance capabilities (even in Standard)... at least not yet.:D

If you like I can provide you with my reseller information. If wanted PM me.

Pat H

Last edited:
I am wondering why I can't see the pics in this thread. I see them in all the other ones.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Don't know what's going on, but another person had a similar problem on another Forum (I think it was Team builds). He had a setting issue and was able to resolve it. I will look up the details and let you know.

What do get see in place of the photos?

Pat H.

I also cannot see the pictures. There is just text with blank space between the lines where I assume is where the pictures should be.

Pat,I too am just getting the words and spaces.

Tom

OK,I got it sorted.

It was indeed a settings problem.

I went into my account ... On the left side scroll down to Settings Options ...

Then down to Edit Options ...

Then to Thread Display Options ...

At the bottom of that section there is a bit on displaying oversize pics ... you need to make sure there are 0(zero) in each of the boxes.

That fixed it for me.

Cheers,

Tom

OK,I got it sorted.

It was indeed a settings problem.

I went into my account ... On the left side scroll down to Settings Options ...

Then down to Edit Options ...

Then to Thread Display Options ...

At the bottom of that section there is a bit on displaying oversize pics ... you need to make sure there are 0(zero) in each of the boxes.

That fixed it for me.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Glad you are able to see pics. Interesting though, as I scale all of the pictures down to 820 so that they would not be re-sized. Plus I don't have "0" in the boxes, they are blank.:confused: Oh well, you are up and running and that's what counts.;) Hope you enjoy.

Pat H

Last edited:
I also cannot see the pictures. There is just text with blank space between the lines where I assume is where the pictures should be.

weez,

Does Tom's solution help you? If not, let me know and I will see what can be done.

Thanks for letting me know.:)

Pat H.

One more Rupnow H&M Engine about to roar.

Promise .Will get get my H&M roaring with the H&M function.

Gus,

Glad to see that your following along ... mine will probably be long process. :rolleyes:

Later,

Pat H.

weez,

Does Tom's solution help you? If not, let me know and I will see what can be done.

Thanks for letting me know.:)

Pat H.

It did not work. It looks like you are hosting these pictures on www.phutcheson.net, correct? I get a server not found message when trying to access your website.

weez,

Yes, I store my pictures using my website host. If you can't view my website then you won't be able to see the pictures on this forum.

Back in March 2013 you made a post in Team Build #8 (page 36 #359).

Take look on page 42 post #416 ... that's were the problem starts.
Read thru to page 43 post #426 ... that's were the problem is solved.

See if that helps,

Pat H.

weez,

Yes, I store my pictures using my website host. If you can't view my website then you won't be able to see the pictures on this forum.

Back in March 2013 you made a post in Team Build #8 (page 36 #359).

Take look on page 42 post #416 ... that's were the problem starts.
Read thru to page 43 post #426 ... that's were the problem is solved.

See if that helps,

Pat H.

Thanks Pat. That was my problem. It is working now.

Back