New ol' geezer from Oregon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstreed

Reaction score
I want to thank the forum for having me as a new member. First, a little about me.

I am 60 years old, involuntarily retired due to health issues. I moved to Oregon from West Virginia about 9 years ago. While in WV I worked doing construction and maintenance for a small publishing company. They had a Hendey 12x30 lathe, a bridgeport clone milling machine, welders, a nicely stocked shop which I worked from. I also bought an Atlas 618 and restored it. When I and my wife moved to Oregon after the death of my employer I left most of my stuff, including my Atlas lathe and other tools, in storage in WV. I hope to get back there and retrieve it at some point.

We just bought the house we are now living in. It has a shop and room for more outbuildings if needed. It will take me awhile to get set up, my income is way short of what it was a few years ago. I just bought a MIG welder, a Hobart 190 with a spoolgun. I want to get a small milling machine, probably from Grizzley unless something nice shows up on the used market. Between that and my Atlas lathe from WV I will be set up well enough for some hobby work. I would also like to get one of the Chinese 12x36 lathes if I can come up with the money for it. Anyway, the bottom line is that I hope to get back into hobby machining as soon as I can.

I developed an interest in toy steam a couple years ago and have a half dozen or so engines. This is part of what motivated me to get back into hobby machining. I would like to try my hand at some of the kits from Stuart or PM Research, maybe even try my hand at casting my own stuff.

Enough of that. I don't have much to contribute right now. So I will probably just read and pester the board with newbie questions for awhile.

Hi fstreed

Welcome to the group; a little ways north of you in the Willamette valley there are 3 model engineering clubs and some great model engineers.

Dave

welcome to the forum. I hope you can get your equipment home soon, having moved my shop I know what it feels like to not have "my stuff" I wound up selling off alot of items and I am just now building back up (although to a smaller scale) I used to have an automotive machine shop until the bottom dropped out. Now im working on building a shop for casting and building small steam engines and hope to have a cnc mill by the beginning of the year. Foundry is set up although it is small it can melt 12 lbs of cast iron in 30 min. I have high hopes, wish me luck...

Welcome from another Oregonian! If you want information about the model engineering clubs in Oregon let me know. There is one that meets in the Eugene area.

Pat

Welcome from the other side of the world (where it is 30C today)

Jim

Welcome from faraway Singapore.

Looks like you will be having a big machineshop. I make do with a 12 ' x 5 ' balcony with open sides and a roof.

Is Part of Yellowstone in Oregon or Wyoming? Been to Y'stone 2003 .

Gus

Fstreed, Let me know how your equipment gathering process works out! I'm from Crescent City and I'm planning on taking my scuba instructor class when I get out of the army this summer. The Instructor Trainer lives in Klamath Falls there. I'm brand new to this hobby and haven't machined a thing in my life, but I'm decent at metal fabrication and have just invested in the mini-lathe to see where I stand on this hobby after a few simple engines are built! I'm mostly interested in IC engines. I'd like to build a Miniature 72 chevy nova drag racer with a scaled down 454 in it once I've gotten my skills (and my shop) up to par. Good luck man!

Welcome from faraway Singapore.

Looks like you will be having a big machineshop. I make do with a 12 ' x 5 ' balcony with open sides and a roof.

Is Part of Yellowstone in Oregon or Wyoming? Been to Y'stone 2003 .

Gus

I have a 16' x 28' shop which is kind of set of for automotive work, or will be once everything is sorted out from our recent move. It has a concrete floor, is wired for 240, and has air from a nominally 5HP (actually about 2-3 I think) 60 gallon compressor. The compressor is located in a separate small room which would otherwise just be storage. Nice to get it out of the shop.

Attached to that shop and opening into a 2 car carport is another smaller shop, 14' x 20', which I am in the process of insulating and finishing the interior walls. This shop will have my handloading stuff, steam engines, and will serve as a general hobby shop.

The lathe and future milling machine will go in the bigger shop.

Yellowstone is in Wyoming and I believe North Dakota. I have been through it but it has been several years ago.

Wagon173, I see you are also new here. I used to get over to Crescent City and that area fairly often but don't travel much any more due to that bane of older people who have done hard physical labor for a living known as arthritis.

The mini lathes are certainly usable. One learns how to work around their limitations. I know I really miss my little Atlas. The thing I like about it is the back gears. I have it set up so I can swap the pulleys around and get it down to about 35 rpm which is great for threading.

Yellowstone is in Wyoming and I believe North Dakota. I have been through it but it has been several years ago.

Actually, it is in Montana along the eastern edge of Idaho, which in turn is on the eastern edge of Oregon.

Latest posts

Back