New member project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been lurking here for a little bit, but figured it was time to get into gear. First pic is of a flathead glow 4 stroke twin I built about 35 years ago. (I’ve borrowed parts from it already!) I did it off the cuff and designed as I went with no drawings. Runs ok but not very powerful. (Not my intent anyway) The second pic is my current project. V6 with cast iron cylinder banks. I’m hoping to cut fins all the way through between the cylinders and use water cooled heads. Totally experimental to see if can even be done. Still making the electrodes as I plan to use EDM to accomplish this. Using AutoCad this time! Much easier! I Enjoy reading and seeing everyone’s posts and pics. Beautiful work out there.
John
B17FD7A3-887D-4145-8A75-61D647AF3BBC.jpeg

Attachments

• 3DA180BA-3BE3-4115-837E-4509BB1E8770.jpeg
    3DA180BA-3BE3-4115-837E-4509BB1E8770.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 159
Hey John. Same for me I am new here.

That flathead twin look nice! Do you have more pics or video of running engine?

What is the plan for the V6?

Alex

Unfortunately I do not have any videos. I’m guessing I haven’t run it in 30 years. Needs a little work. I somehow managed to lean it out and burned a valve. I’ll try to get it going again one day. No real plans for the V6. Just want to build one. I started building a monster V12 but lost a piece of CNC equipment that I was using that really put a damper on it. The 6 I can build with a smaller mill. I was never all that big into engine building as much as making accessories such as carburetors and super chargers for model race engines.

I know that, too many fun projects around!
Hope you would get the CNC running again. May I ask what kind of CNC machine you have?

I know that, too many fun projects around!
Hope you would get the CNC running again. May I ask what kind of CNC machine you have?
The one that broke down (with obsolete controller) was a Bridgeport Series II with Centroid controls. Upgrade was over $10k. I have a Bridgeport Interact 720 vertical machining center. Old but trusty! (Table is too small for my V12 project) I have access to a DeVlieg with a 72x96x72 work envelope with a Fanuc control, but it’s hard to get the amount of time I need. Still fun to tinker with this stuff however!

That are quit large machines you have! Only time I have worked on a Bridgeport was at school.

Ok, just to re-hash what I’ve been up to. I stated earlier I was building a V-6 of my own design. The unique feature of this build is that I’m using 2-1pc cast iron cylinder banks with siamese fins. I really don’t see much advantage to doing it this way as it’s definitely more work. It’s going look cool as heck when done though! Using an EDM machine and custom made electrodes I plan on burning the fins into the banks. Air will be able to circulate 360 deg around each cylinder. It took several weeks of spare time to make the electrodes. It may work or it may not. I started “cooking” last night and so far it looks very promising.
DAFEFB97-9F5E-4164-A557-4132FDA91258.jpeg
A387E179-3B86-44CC-BE8A-A18A8C0DCB13.jpeg

Wow. That is fantastic work with the EDM. What a great job.
My next project was going to be an EDM machine.
Did you build your own? If so, do you have plans or a link?

Wow. That is fantastic work with the EDM. What a great job.
My next project was going to be an EDM machine.
Did you build your own? If so, do you have plans or a link?
Thank you! Unfortunately I do not own this machine. :( But I do have unlimited access to it. It's an extremely large machine with a 72"x 84"x 72" work envelope. All CNC in operation. A real Cadillac of a machine!

Last edited:
Thank you! Unfortunately I do not own this machine. :( But I do have unlimited access to it. It's an extremely large machine with a 72"x 84"x 72" work envelope. All CNC in operation. A real Cadillac of a machine!
Ok, well a great job. Looks great.
What are the electrodes made from?

Hi Mouldmaker,
I am enjoying your project but let me ask another question. I am trying to cast aluminium but having problems with porosity.
As a moulder can you help solve my porosity problems?
Cheers Peter

Hi Mouldmaker,
I am enjoying your project but let me ask another question. I am trying to cast aluminium but having problems with porosity.
As a moulder can you help solve my porosity problems?
Cheers Peter
You'll need to add a couple of "tablets".
One to make the hydrogen bubble out while in the crusible and the other to bring slag to the top.

Latest posts

Back