New member (Georgia, USA)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this site via a link posted in HSM, and am fascinated by these engines. I think once I get my shop set up I would like to try one.

I'm currently engaged in building a shop/garage attached to my house, and once it's built (hopefully by September) I'll have space for some machinery. I'll be taking a course on using a lathe at a local tech college this summer, with followon courses thereafter.

I'm retired from the software business; have a degree in mechanical engineering that I never used. My nick comes from the intials of myself, my wife, and my two daughters (my mother coined it).

I have a question about suitable machines. I see that a lot of people here have mini-mills and lathes. My primary goal wrt machinery is to fabricate parts for offroad vehicles, so I will be looking to buy a fullsize knee mill and a lathes in the 12x40 range. How suitable are machines like these for fabricating the very small parts these model engines seem to use?

Kvom,
Welcome aboard! I started out with small machines and ended up with full sized ones. I found that you can make small parts on a big machine but it is much more difficult to build a large part (8 inch flywheel) on a small machine. Just my two cents.
Regards,
Roger

Hello KVOM,

Welcome to HMEM.

I've owned and used lathes of different sizes, including a Taig, a Sears 6" lathe, a 7x12 Minilathe, and a Logan 11 x 24. My experience is that the larger lathes are much easier to use and will do anything a smaller lathe will do. It's mostly in the tooling.

The lathe I currently have is the Logan 11 x 24. I have it set up with a variable speed, DC motor that gives me a speed range from 0 - about 1,800 RPM. I have a 5C collet adapter and use 5C collets for most of my small, precision turning. I think the general mantra is, "Buy as big as you can afford", with the 12" lathes being a good choice for the price.

My milling machine is an 8" x 24" Mill Drill that I bought new from Enco. I've never felt the need for a larger milling machine although I sometimes wish I had the rigidity of a floor mounted knee mill like a Bridgeport.

These, of course, are all my own opinions and you'll find as many opinions as there are machinists.

Chuck

This engine

breath.jpg

was built using only a 12 x 24 lathe and an 8 x 24 mill drill. Does that answer your question?

Having had only a Unimat when I started in this hobby, I can say that I think it's actually somewhat easier to make tiny parts with larger machines.

Hi Kvom and welcome to the group,

I don't disagree at all with the previous comments and use both Sherline equipment and both a full size lathe and knee mill. For myself, I find I use the benchtop equipment every bit as much or more that the larger machines, but in some ways that is because of additional tooling for Sherline that works well for some things, ease of set-up, and everything can be kept handy in one cabinet. While larger machines will certainly do everything a small machine will do, it may require some additional expenditure on thinks like drill chucks, collet adapters and so on to manage smaller work more effectively. As an example, some tailstock drill chucks on full size lathes may not even grip some of the drill sizes used for smaller engines (i.e. 1/16" or smaller). The lathe will handle the job and it is not prohibitive to have a second smaller chuck for those times...just a matter of space, budget, and personal preference really. If the budget isn't a constraint, then eventually you may even want to have both sizes of machine tools available (benchtop and full size), then go with what seems most efficient for a given job. Just my two cents worth from a neighbor just up the road in North Carolina.

Bill

Welcome to the site.

A lot of us only have the mini machines only because that is all we can A) either afford or B) have room for. I would have larger machines if I had the room. They are just fine for making parts for model engines.

Eric

Bill
Looks like we're getting a fair scattering of local southern boys. Maybe we need to unionize or something. Between you, me, Tim, Kvom and George, we might put ourselves in a strong collective bargaining position. Ummmmm Ok... so maybe we just figure out a central location to meet for coffee and swap a few lies....LOL

Seriously... Welcome to the forum Kvom. I'm also a neighbor, just up I-85 in Greenville SC. Tim (Zeusrekning) haunts a nearby neck of the woods as well.

Steve

Welcome Kvom,
As Steve said there are several southern boys here

I live in Conyers Ga

Welcome Kvom,
What part of Georgia?
I agree with what everyone said. My opinion is (keeping in mind what you think you will be making) go as large as you can afford and have room for. None of us here know what you can afford, and if $1500-$2500 for a mill or lathe is out of the question then that narrows down the search. But also keep in mind the tooling you will need to buy and what it will cost you to run it.
Again welcome and we should all try to get together some time.
Tim

Welcome K,

I am sure that you will merge in here perfectly. Machinery makes no difference on here, big or small, everyone is treated the same. But you might get a few admiring glances.
With regards to your question that has already been answered, big will do small but not the other way around.

But you do need a sense of humour living so close to Steve, otherwise you would cry. :D

You don't play the banjo by any chance?

When I think of your neighbour Cedge (Steve), it always reminds me of the banjo player in the film 'Deliverance'. Happy little chappie. ;D ;D . Just getting my own back for the tights and codpiece.

John

Thanks for all the graciouas replies.

I'm in Cumming, north of Atlanta. If there are some members in the area who would like to show off their work, please PM me with the location and I'll be happy to come over.

My current metalworking gear consists of a 4" angle grinder, some small die grinders, and a Lincoln 175 MIG welder. :mad:

Here is the architect's drawing of the attached garage I will hopefully be getting started by the end of the month:

original.jpg

The ground floor is 26' wide by 36' deep, so even with 2 vehicles parked inside I will have room for some machinery. One of the people I'm interviewing to do the construction stopped by to pick up a copy of the plans, and the other says his bid is about ready. The slab will have heating tubes embedded, so I expect to have a toasty den this winter.

I certainly realize that tooling may eventually cost more than the lathe or mill, so even though I might be able to afford an expensive machine I need to keep the add-ons in mind. Once I've had some time at night school (Lanier Tech) I'll have a better idea. A good friend of mine has a Bridgeport and a Sheldon lathe and quite a lot of tooling, so I imagine I might be able to borrow some bits I'm missing from time to time.

And no, I don't play the banjo! :-* I do like to drive my Jeep up in the mountains where it's reputed that they do.

Kirk

welcome kvom.............this is a great group to belong to and i can't wait to see what you will be
making in that BIG/NEW shop you are going to build. ;D

chuck

That's odd John... I usually picture Benny Hill, when you come to mind. Kirk, you'll just have to overlook poor John... he's English.... talks funny doncha you know...(evil grin)

Steve

Hi Kirk from another newbie ;D

Serious case of "Space" envy from this side of the pond (I'm a few miles north of John in the UK), your garage is almost the size of my house :eek: ........ ;D :D ;D

As space is at a premium, (my workshop is about 9'-0" x 12'-0") size of machinery was an important consideration, I've ended up with a 9" x 20" lathe and an X2 Mill, which so far seem fine for me, depends on what sort of 4x4 parts you want to produce really. I'm very much into off road driving (Land Rover based rather than Jeep in my case), so skimming a flywheel or a brake disc will mean a visit to John :D ............. but other than that I can probably cope with most of the things I will need .......... I hope ::)

Good luck with the night school courses, good way to progress, I look forward to updates on the build etc.

btw .......... I don't play the banjo either ;D :big: ;D

CC .............. aka ......... Dave

The poor Brits haven't yet invented the banjo. All they have is sticks which they beat together while performing an ancient pagan ritual called Morris dancing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeH_zobe4xA[/ame]

Watch it through to the end. It doesn't get really kinky until they break out the handkerchiefs.

I'd always thought the British a serious lot. That was until I saw my first Morris dance. It was then that I realized that Benny Hill was not humor, but rather a documentary. :)

(No offense intended, guys. I'm a serious Anglophile and have spent many weeks in your fascinating country. Then, after the cricket game was over, I spent more fascinating weeks having a good time.)

Hmm, I seem to recall doing something like the one with the sticks in grade school. Imagine a room full of eight year olds swinging sticks around. I don't think that will pass muster in today's schools.

As for the rest of it... I'll just leave it at interesting.

It does look very much like square dancing.

Kirk, welcome to the happiest place on the net! ;D Your workshop plan is amazing in size... Major space envy :'(

Marv,

Firstly :big: I do like your take on things ;D I wish British life could be more like Benny's sketches ;D

Secondly... I was taught morris dancing in school!!!!!!!!!!! I was only 8 though!

Thirdly... we know what a banjo or rather a ukulele is ... We were raised with George on the tele' ... even if it was the repeats I was watching (I'm such a youngster!!) ;D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSc-e-QffTs[/ame]

You must watch all of this to appreciate his talent... There are many other vid's of George formby out there too, I just liked this one ;D

Enjoy...

Ralph.

P.S. Marv, I have that engine plan in one of my books... started to try to make it a while back (converted it all to metric and everything!) I think I'll have to dig it out and try again ;D It looks great :)

Kirk,
Welcome. I'm new here as well, being registered just last week.

The shop sounds great! You'll have to post pictures when it's completed. Hopefully, your wife will let you have more than just a small corner :D

The wife and daughters have already claimed the second floor, where I (briefly) imagined having some woodworking gear. Since there is an existing garage in the house, I am laying claim to the entire ground floor of the new one.

As for the Brits, I've been to England several times, and also watch PBS very often. My first visit to London was in May of 1984. The sun was shining brightly on the day of my arrival, and the receptionist at my hotel was a gorgeous blonde. For the rest of my visit is rained every day, and the blonde turned out to be Swedish. Regardless, my first impression of England was and remains very favorable.

For the offroad fabrication jobs, one that comes to mind with the lathe is threading DOM tube for control arms to fit for Heim or Johnny joints. Needs RH threads on one end and LH threads on the other. I think 40" is a minimum size lathe. Since we generally use 2" OD tube, only very large lathes have a spindle hole large enough, so the entire thing needs to be chucked and on the steady rest. This will likely be an early project for me.

Another is one my friend did a few weeks ago. A rear axle that's frequently used in the rear of our offroad vehicles is the GM corporate 14 bolt. This axle has a thick rim at the bottom of the "pumpkin", and as well the bottom wall is really thick. The rim was cut off with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder, and then the axle was placed onto the table of the mill allowing the bottom to have about 1" milled off. A 1/2" steel plate is then cut to shape with a plasma cutter and then welded over the resulting hole in the axle. The result is an extra 2" or so of ground clearance.

He also made a set of wheel spacers from aluminum; the bolt circle function in the DRO came in handy there.

I'll be happy to post progress photos of the build once we get started.

Latest posts

Back