New member from Maryland USA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, My name is Tom and like I said in the title I'm from Maryland USA. I just retired and have some time on my hands so what better to do than try to get into a new hobby. I have made small models before like gas powered model boats and tether cars also a small steam car, you know the type, with the cylinder that swings back and forth. Anyway, I would like to get into something a little better, My real desire is to make a live steam train engine. A small one, something a little larger than a Lionel. So I guess my first step is to look around on the site and see what I can learn. I have a lathe and a mill, both of which may be a little large for small work but I will have to use what I have.

Hi all, My name is Tom and like I said in the title I'm from Maryland USA. I just retired and have some time on my hands so what better to do than try to get into a new hobby. I have made small models before like gas powered model boats and tether cars also a small steam car, you know the type, with the cylinder that swings back and forth. Anyway, I would like to get into something a little better, My real desire is to make a live steam train engine. A small one, something a little larger than a Lionel. So I guess my first step is to look around on the site and see what I can learn. I have a lathe and a mill, both of which may be a little large for small work but I will have to use what I have.
from Texas
Welcome

You might look at this: It's called "Dickins," and is a 0-gauge loco driven by two oscillating cylinders.

"Live Steam", February, March, April, 1976. Designed by Dr. J.R. Senft

Dickins.jpg

Hello Tom
Where are you in MD?
Harvey
Woodbine-- 97 & 70 area

Thanks all for the welcomes.
Let try to answer all the comments, First, I live in Eldersburg so not far from Harvey.
Chuck, My truck is a 1946 K1 pick up, this is a 1/2 ton with a 7.5' bed it has a 214 cid flat head motor and 4 speed trans. Owned it since 1979.
Olympic, Yes, thanks I will try to do some research on that one.
I found the Locomotive of the month site and have gotten lost looking at the engines. A lot of examples that may be in my skill set. I have many questions about the things I have seen there but guess I should do a post on the "main" board for that.
Craig, Well I guess my lathe is not all that big, it is only a 9" South Bend, The main problem with it is it's got a lot of wear.

Tom,

Welcome to the group. There is lots of help and good information here.

Your screen name "46international" suggests you may have an antique truck?

Chuck
Tom
I would like to show you some of the engines that Ive built contact me if like 410 552-5607 I live right on 97 a few mins form E-Berg.

Welcome to this exciting board. I’m also a Streetrod guy I currently have 77 elcamino super sport it’s been restored a number of yearsago. It needs just a little body work but otherwise is a daily driver unfortunately I’m not supposed to drive even though I still have driver license. I’ll have to part with it in the spring though. I’m also former drag racer top fuel and funny cars. Currently new to steam engines

byron

Car guy and weekend machinist, great combination!
I too restore cars, during the summer, and work in the basement shop during the cold months. I’ll be getting back to work on a 49Ford pickup hot rod In a couple months. I’m just finishing up an Astrolabe project. I’m still working out the bugs on some new techniques including my recently finished CNC build.
This is a great forum, lots of engineering, minimal BS.
6D6E9EC5-8406-4D72-B8FE-5F7AC9D6FC63.jpeg
Welcome from, (recently retired also), Silver Spring.

Thanks Tony, I am a little all over the place with hobbies..... not a master at any of them
we’ll let me tell you al about lesson learned today . Don’t use locative on m2 or m 3 nuts you may have to remove and reuse . I hush happens to purchase the m5 spanned or open end wrench for this project. Luckily. I carefully applied kick tire blue with the point of a pin you could hardly see the stuff. It ran past the nut into the brass piston and did its job. Kicking them together all 4 pistons of the engine . I made a slight mistake as the round connecting rod has about 1 1/2 more threads on one end. I needed this extra to give enough threads for the brass Ustinov retaining. Well I made a mistak as the rod has slightly longer length on one end. So I had to remove the jamb nuts. That was hard enough you can hardly see them as it is . Then on reassembly I couldn’t get the nuts back on. So I got out the taps. Yeah, we’ll try getting these small taps started in a small nut . Two hours for the first one the sbout had hour each for the others. Just holding the nut in big fingers is hard enough. Getting the tap started was another issue. Now I’ve got to tap pistons and nuts . If I had new stuff I would have replace them but I’m out of those sizes . I’m looking up something that dissolves lock tite maybe super glue remover. That’s a nitromethane mix I think but I’m a long way from that material . There is just one line noting the difference in thread length. It’s only 1 mm too . Comparingvrods it’s hard to see the difference. I wish there would have been a numeric dimension so I could have checked before this mess. I may get the piston cylinders installed yet today but not before dark I’ll se if I put together a picture . I’m just glad watch making is not my hobby . LOL
BYRON

Nitro does the job but the little I can get easily is 60 miles away. I should have picked up debonder at the hobby shop last week my little end wrench just barely grabs the nut in the piston as it is. It was amazing how such a tiny amount of lock tite spread around it was hardly visible even under my mag light
Byron

Welcome Tom . Looks like there are a few of us car nuts / hobby machinists out there . Here is a picture of my summer ride , taken at a club thank you ride going past retirement homes and Collingwood Ontario hospital .

image.jpeg

Retired millwright then firefighter.

Latest posts

Back