New member from Maryland USA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Tom . Looks like there are a few of us car nuts / hobby machinists out there . Here is a picture of my summer ride , taken at a club thank you ride going past retirement homes and Collingwood Ontario hospital .

View attachment 134594

Retired millwright then firefighter.
welcome to the group. I’m a car guy too summer ride is 77 elcamino SS PARTLY RESTORED 350 crate 300 hp turbo 35o 373 gears posi heave sway bars all around big tires and wheels great car I’ve driven it 35k miles as daily driver it’s got a small rust spot on rear quarter otherwise great shape I’ll try and find a picture later

byron

Hi Tom,
Remember big tools do big jobs and small jobs. But little tools can only manage little jobs. I doubt I have better control and accuracy with tiny stuff in my watchmakers lathe, than in the 6in swing workhorse. E.g. drilling 2BA gas jets with 0.25mm drills....
As for a project, does it have to be a locomotive? I suggest people do their own apprenticeships with stationary boilers and engines, preferably driving something like a model saw, dynamo, or whatever. There is as much Engineering in a boiler as the engine, but the manufacture of an engine requires loads of machining, whereas the boiler is a set of different skills, with machining mostly for the fittings, water gauges, pumps, safety valves, etc.
So when you have decided what you want to use your existing skills on, as well as new skills you want to develop, then you can decide "steam maker" or "steam user", first. Most opt for a stationary engine. You have experienced oscillating engines, so maybe a twin cylinder enclosed high speed engine for starters? Can use compressed air, so you can easily power it, and strap on a dynamo and street lamp to make something with the power? Then you can make a boiler, hand pump, steam pump, fittings etc. and find time to keep your wife happy! (The last is the most difficult!).
By then you'll want to progress to a loco engine, valve gear, brakes, etc. and rolling chassis and use your new skills on the boiler, etc. of the locomotive.
Enjoy!
K2

Welcome to the group

Dave

Hi all, My name is Tom and like I said in the title I'm from Maryland USA. I just retired and have some time on my hands so what better to do than try to get into a new hobby. I have made small models before like gas powered model boats and tether cars also a small steam car, you know the type, with the cylinder that swings back and forth. Anyway, I would like to get into something a little better, My real desire is to make a live steam train engine. A small one, something a little larger than a Lionel. So I guess my first step is to look around on the site and see what I can learn. I have a lathe and a mill, both of which may be a little large for small work but I will have to use what I have.

Hi Tom,
Remember big tools do big jobs and small jobs. But little tools can only manage little jobs. I doubt I have better control and accuracy with tiny stuff in my watchmakers lathe, than in the 6in swing workhorse. E.g. drilling 2BA gas jets with 0.25mm drills....
As for a project, does it have to be a locomotive? I suggest people do their own apprenticeships with stationary boilers and engines, preferably driving something like a model saw, dynamo, or whatever. There is as much Engineering in a boiler as the engine, but the manufacture of an engine requires loads of machining, whereas the boiler is a set of different skills, with machining mostly for the fittings, water gauges, pumps, safety valves, etc.
So when you have decided what you want to use your existing skills on, as well as new skills you want to develop, then you can decide "steam maker" or "steam user", first. Most opt for a stationary engine. You have experienced oscillating engines, so maybe a twin cylinder enclosed high speed engine for starters? Can use compressed air, so you can easily power it, and strap on a dynamo and street lamp to make something with the power? Then you can make a boiler, hand pump, steam pump, fittings etc. and find time to keep your wife happy! (The last is the most difficult!).
By then you'll want to progress to a loco engine, valve gear, brakes, etc. and rolling chassis and use your new skills on the boiler, etc. of the locomotive.
Enjoy!im doing essentially what you are saying my little engine is two engin connected together. I started with a simple boiler that has turned into a big project in itself. Mostly because it’s not my engineering background. So I’m learning new stuff every day. I have what I think is a good text book coming in a couple weeks if it doesn’t get delayed again z can’t learn everything from books alone but certainly can get progress enough to ask questions . Here is elcamino
Buron
K2

Latest posts

Back