New Guy, Builder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack.39

Reaction score
Hello! I am a builder of a live steam locomotive, modelled after the one which pulled a steam excursion I took as a teenager, years ago.

Please, is there sufficient interest in this sort of venture, to warrant posting my story about designing & building?

Thank you for your input!

jack

Jack

Welcome aboard. I don't know about the rest, but I'm certainly interested in seeing this! If you've browsed this site a little, you know that we want PICTURES!

Cheers, Joe

I am sufficiently interested.

Joe, I have not looked about, yet, just registered and threw out the basic question. After spending much time on another forum, getting pics posted, etc., it turned out most members were not "into" the nuts & bolts of building. Dial-up internet service just does not lend itself to frolicking about......

Evidently, some buy everything; I cannot, no money, or brains to get any! Plus, I scrounge a lot of stuff.

So, if you be patient, I be ready to go!

jack

Let's see if I can get a pic to post, to start off. My loco is 1/8 scale, now about 75% complete, here she sits outside my shop on the spur which will access my layout.

img00512.jpg

That is totally awesome.
I would be interested in seeing a builders log with pictures on this.

Oh, and welcome to the group.

Extreme Interest, here. ;D Welcome to the forum!

Now... where is Zeep? He's gotta see this!

WOW Jack
Would love to see more pics of this loco. Looks like you have done an amazing job there fella. How many hours have you spent on this ?

Ken

Amazing! 1/8 scale? Don't know.

How long, wide, tall, weight you know the good stuff. :big: :big: :big:

This is my dream to build one of these. Is the boiler steel or copper?

Enough questions for now. And by the way welcome to the best forum in the net.

Ron

I'm here! Yes! What everyone said. Pics pics pics.
Tell us, show us everything.

Welcome to the forum...tell us more about yourself and your shop.

kendo said:
WOW Jack
Would love to see more pics of this loco. Looks like you have done an amazing job there fella. How many hours have you spent on this? Ken

Appreciate the kind comment. Started 2002 sometime, quit work for about a year about 2007, sort of lost interest, resumed with vigor. As a total Newb, I have made more than my share of mistakes, had setbacks, but most of all, early on, it was lack of funds($$) that posed the biggest obstacle.

I came into money, expectedly, my own, in 2004, which had been stolen from my pay all my life by our trusted leaders. It warn't much, mind you, but my wife & I lived on 2 shoestrings from 1999 till then.

Hours of work, guesstimate around 8,000 on the project. That don't count the hours spent scrounging suitable parts, I can now find my way to all the closest Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc., stores blindfolded! Wait till you see what became a lubrication oil reservoir!

jack

jack.39 said:
That don't count the hours spent scrounging suitable parts, I can now find my way to all the closest Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc., stores blindfolded! Wait till you see what became a lubrication oil reservoir! jack

Sounds like my kind of project. Thm:

ozzie46 said:
Amazing! 1/8 scale? Don't know.
How long, wide, tall, weight you know the good stuff. :big: :big: :big:
This is my dream to build one of these. Is the boiler steel or copper? Enough questions for now. And by the way welcome to the best forum in the net.
Ron.....

Engine alone, 95 inches overall, tender 60 inches, weight, dry, engine about 900 lbs., tender 250. The height, width, dimensions are, yes, 1/8 of those shown on the line drawing I followed, which I will post later. Prototype height over smokestack was 16 feet, so, 2' is about the model's height, give or take a bit.

Your dream, I shared, most of my life, but could never quite get up enopugh "steam" to get started. The stake got driven through my heart, though I did not know it then, at 17, when I took a steam excursion on the Burlington Railroad out of Chicago, in Sept. 1959.

Now, under which heading should I begin the build thread?

Oh, the boiler is constructed completely of steel, a "scrounge" job, as usual!

jack

I would think "Work in Progress" thread would be appropriate.

Ron

DEFINITELY INTERESTED IN A BUILD LOG !!

Building a live steam loco is also one of my long-term goals. It's a dream at the moment, but as some version of the cliche goes, "Goals are dreams turning into reality." :D

From a fellow steam locomotive nut !!

Mike

Jack.39

Welcome to HMEM and Happy New Year.

WOW! I hardly know where to begin. I have also viewed several of your other posts before coming here and am just amazed at what you are doing. In one of your posts you wondered if anyone was interested? I can assure you that I am and I am sure that a large number of the other members are also extremely interested. You already know that we love pictures so I say bring it on. It is an amazing read and I look forward to more as you have the time. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

dsquire said:
Jack.39.....WOW! I hardly know where to begin. I have also viewed several of your other posts before coming here and am just amazed at what you are doing.
Cheers :).....Don......

Don, thank you for the encouragement! I just caught your post while back-tracking, something I am lax about, simply because my PC system just won't allow much gerry-mandering. (on a 30-hour day awaiting dial-up downloads!). jack

Latest posts

Back