New Build_Modified David Kersel's Hit and Miss Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, I agree. I like the Webster because it was in metric and free. In my youth I designed several engines while doing my Engineering studies. Sadly the plans were lost and now I can't design this due to the accident. It would be great to see more free offerings in both metric and imperial available to the home hobbyists. My hope is to build a 4 cylinder in line and/or boxer. Plans with instructions like the Webster would be the ticket.

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne

Next Video. The little piece of shop towel is a temporary choke. I am not having very good luck with the carburetor. I am going to give the Jerry Howell carburetor a try.

About a million people have built David Kerzel's engine. Everybody that built it changed it a little bit. It is a great "building block" for people who want to get into machining their own engines from bar stock. The Kerzel was my second i.c. engine. The Webster was my first. We all owe Mr. Kerzel and Mr. Webster a great big Thank You.---Brian

I'm not sure there is even a million people building model engines. LOL
One thing for sure, the Chinese have made a million copies due to the free nature of the design. They are all over Ebay for about 300 bucks.
It has been a great learning step for me. I am eager to try my hand with more internal combustion engines.
Time available for these endeavors, however, is always limited in supply.
I am truly amazed by the quality and beauty of the engines built by others, and find inspiration from them.
Thank You Everyone!

One thing for sure, the Chinese have made a million copies due to the free nature of the design. They are all over Ebay for about 300 bucks.

I had a bit of a play with one of those a few weeks back. One flywheel had come loose and the owner didn't have the tools or skills to repair it (scored the shaft when it spun). After I repaired the damage and replaced a few soft fasteners (plus reset the valve and ignition timing that had gotten upset) it was a great runner and they are surprisingly well made. I also reduced the governor spring pressure quite a bit and got it to run a lot slower than the factory setting. Also surprisingly they have quite a few misses per single hit. The owner had it at a show the next weekend and it ran almost constantly for 8 hours with stops only for fuel. Playing with it made me want to have a go at building a Kerzel and see if I can make one as good as the Chinese one...

Here it is in color.

Attachments

• green1.jpg
    green1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 97
  • green2.jpg
    green2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 90
  • green3.jpg
    green3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 95
ECB27B49-1EFC-4BD6-A450-6EA948984528.jpeg
7226759D-3FFB-4A32-8747-9C64A278398F.jpeg
It is starting to look pretty neat.
I built a PM Research generator and mounted it with a flat belt drive.
I really like the green with the bronze.
ECB27B49-1EFC-4BD6-A450-6EA948984528.jpeg

Attachments

• 05793EB6-35E4-4AB7-BC3C-378EB2704DC8.jpeg
    05793EB6-35E4-4AB7-BC3C-378EB2704DC8.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the compliments. I am really glad it has turned out well.
I am still working on mounting, fuel tank, usb charger and lights.
I started using a vaporizer style fuel tank. It has stabilized the running, but lacks instantaneous demand for changing load conditions. I still may make the Howell carb.
I need very badly to finish this so I can make another engine.

Would it be prudent to offer a link to my Fusion 360 files?
Would anyone be interested?

Would it be prudent to offer a link to my Fusion 360 files?
Would anyone be interested?

I would be interested.

xpylonracer

Latest posts

Back