Need help recreating finish

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
Hi guys i am remaking this part for a friend. What would be the best way to recreat the knurl on the face of the part. I have made this part already just need the finish on the end. The metal is 303 stainless and about 3/4 dia. Thanks

Bronson

IMG_4630.jpg

part1.jpg

My first choice would be to dress a wheel on a surface grinder and step across the face, index 90 degrees and repeat.
Do you have a way of sharpening a single point cutter? That would be my second choice. Sharpen to nearly a point and mill grooves in one direction, index 90 and mill the other way.
Third choice might be to tip the head on the mill and use the edge of an end mill (might be second choice, would need to think about it some more.)

John

I tried the single point but maybe it wasn't sharp enough it just seemed to push metal and not really cut. The endmill on edge could be an idea. Thanks for the reply. I don't have a surface grinder just a lathe and mill.

Would definitely mill it in with the corner of a cutter. If you can't tilt the head on your mill, hold the piece in a vice at 45deg, start the cut, then move say 1mm left and 1mm up and do the next cut. Repeat until the whole piece is covered, then rotate the job 90deg and repeat the cutting process. The piece looks quite short, may have been better to leave it longer, mill it, then part it off.

Paul.

Thanks for all the replies and great ideas. I think I've got it i made a cutter just have to take to work and harden worked on alum. I just wanted to say Idahoan i checked out your vise build that was some very nice work congrats on that. Thanks again guys i will post a pic when i am done the cut.

Bronson

I make pieces like that with a thread repair file. Nice thing you have a choice of threads per inch. Just mount it in a block and cut a 90degree slot the width of the file. This is a fast way and can cut any thing not file hard.

Latest posts

Back