My first engine: Simple Wobbler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spedding84

Reaction score
So last week after owning my mini-lathe for over a year I cleaned off the grease and turned a small finger ring out of stainless. Man did that put a bug in me. So this weekend a friend let me use his machine shop to start my first engine. It's a simple wobbler I got from these plans: http://people.wku.edu/andrew.ayre462/Wobbler_Design.pdf.

I know it is very simple compared to some projects on this site, but I have already learned some useful machining skills from this project. The owner of the shop was very helpful and showed me alot. Here are some pics of what I have done so far...

Truing the base and upright to 3" x 5":
IMAG0048.jpg

Finding the edge, a neat process:
IMAG0049.jpg

Drilling the holes to secure the upright:
IMAG0051.jpg

Tapping the upright holes with a tap handle and center finder:
IMAG0052.jpg

What I accomplished so far:
IMAG0053.jpg

Next week I will drill the holes in the upright at his shop. Then, I will turn the crank, flywheel, etc. I hope to do this on my mini-lathe so I can do it at home because the shop is a hour away in North Atlanta near my job.

Stay tuned....

spedding84: You're headed in the right direction. Start with a simple plan to build skills and confidence and increase the difficulty of your builds as you're skill set develops. At least thats whats working for me, I'm on my third engine. Nothing worse than biting off more than you can chew and then walking away from a very relaxing and detailed hobby. You're parts look great and it's really nice that you have someone to offer help and tooling along the way. Is that Atlanta,Ga. Roger

Thanks for the encouragement. It was a very relaxing day. The stress leaves with every chip that hits the floor.

My friends shop is in Alpharetta, Ga which is a suburb north of Atlanta. He has everything I would ever need and is willing to teach so it is really nice.

Welcome to the madness, everyone builds a wobbler. Easy and satisfying. If you think the bug has bit wait until you see your first engine run. Great start also.

Brock

Looks great so far....you are lucky to have a friend with such a complete shop and the willingness to teach. You are wise to begin with a simpler project, the skills and confidence will come. not free, but as you say with every chip that hits the floor...and probably a few scrapped parts too. Just hang in there...the joy of seeing the first one run is truly incredible!!!

Regards.

Bill

The late great Rudy Kouhoupt used to say wobblers are like potato chips you cannot have just one. We encourage all beginners to start simple . You are fortunate to have a mentor with a well equipped shop. press on . one part at a time. BTW nice plans I have not seen them before . I added the link to a couple of threads to help others. thanks for sharing in your build.
Tin

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I'll update as I do more on this engine.

Thanks

Daniel

Looking closer at the plans I see it is a more detailed redrawn version of the Ed Warren Lucy plans . that was my first engine as well. The original Lucy plan calls for a lucite block for the main frame with integrated cylinder. people love the see through engines.
tin

Daniel

You realise this is the beginning of a long journey? Glad you are enjoying it

Pete

spedding84 said:
So last week after owning my mini-lathe for over a year I cleaned off the grease and turned a small finger ring out of stainless. Man did that put a bug in me. So this weekend a friend let me use his machine shop to start my first engine. It's a simple wobbler I got from these plans: http://people.wku.edu/andrew.ayre462/Wobbler_Design.pdf.

I know it is very simple compared to some projects on this site, but I have already learned some useful machining skills from this project. The owner of the shop was very helpful and showed me alot...

Daniel, excellent post wih good quality pictuers. It's interesting to see my shop posted in this forum... Keep up the good work.
(By the way, thanks again for repairing my forklift..)

Oh, By the way, you are catching on to this really fast. If you keep this up, you will be blasting really involved parts out of the CNC before you know it.
David C.

Looks like you are hooked now Daniel, your notes sound a like myself, I completed
my first build wobbler and now I am working on a double wobbler. I also have a very
good friend and mentor and teacher in Don 1966 I spend a good amount of time in
his shop, I have my own shop and and am just completeing a new work bench and
ready to order a new mill to put on it. :bow: so maybe we will get into something a
little more complicated with experience and time.

Regards

Jim

Back