Introducing myself as a new member of HMEM.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imetr8r

Reaction score
My name is Paul (imetr8r), a retired motion control engineer. During my career I installed closed-loop servo controls on robots, medical equipment, assembly & automation machines, machine tools and many other devices requiring motion control, however I never operated a machine tool until now. Since retiring, I have purchased a Grizzly G0759 milling machine and a crappy Chinese mini-lathe, a Vevor MX-8x14. Now I'm learning how to tram these tools and get them running well. It took me about 9 months to get the Vevor lathe to a point where it could actually cut metal, and involved a lot of scraping, grinding and elbow grease. Now I am turning my attention to tramming the G0759.
The Vevor has very poor slow speed performance so I'm designing a simple, analog PID control that I believe will fit on a 80mm x 280mm breadboard, and should be very simple to install. I'm awaiting some parts delivery, but hope to have it completed by February 2024.
Has anyone on this forum already done closed-loop speed control?
Would anyone be interested in my plans?

I have played around with servos when I was flying remote control model airplanes, but have not done anything with them since.

I had a choice of going with electronics or power systems in school, and I went with power systems, so while I understand how controls work, I can't work on that stuff or build it.

My lathe and mill are manual, except for the addition of a digital vernier caliper on the carriage of the lathe, which is quite useful (poor-man's DRO).

Welcome, glad to have you.

Pat J.

My name is Paul (imetr8r), a retired motion control engineer. During my career I installed closed-loop servo controls on robots, medical equipment, assembly & automation machines, machine tools and many other devices requiring motion control, however I never operated a machine tool until now. Since retiring, I have purchased a Grizzly G0759 milling machine and a crappy Chinese mini-lathe, a Vevor MX-8x14. Now I'm learning how to tram these tools and get them running well. It took me about 9 months to get the Vevor lathe to a point where it could actually cut metal, and involved a lot of scraping, grinding and elbow grease. Now I am turning my attention to tramming the G0759.
The Vevor has very poor slow speed performance so I'm designing a simple, analog PID control that I believe will fit on a 80mm x 280mm breadboard, and should be very simple to install. I'm awaiting some parts delivery, but hope to have it completed by February 2024.
Welcome to the group

Dave

OH ja - - - - always looking for interesting plans - - - please?

Welcome aboard. Lots of good people here with lots of good advise.

I have had a G0759 for about 7 years now and it has been very accurate and I have had no problems. It is not a Bridgeport and so you have to be cognizant of its power and work envelope limitations.
For my lathe I found an older Logan Model 400 lathe from the 1950s that has served me well for almost 9 years. A few months ago I received a new, in the box Chinese 8 x 14 lathe for free and I have to say, it is a trial. Maybe I will get it fixed up to run smoothly (mostly feed issues), but it is going to take some work. Definitely not as solid as the Logan.
Enjoy the journey.

Latest posts

Back