My Cracker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diy89 said:
What part of Iowa? I have served time in Fort Dodge, although it was very short!
BTW, what is the material the boiler is sitting on?
I am NE of Story City. The material is Micarta board.

BMyers said:
Nothing to report on the build. I am now in Iowa. The shop is setting on a trailer in Ohio. The plan is to move the machines over Easter weekend. I hope to be making chips again in May. Until then, I lurk on here a lot.

Excuses excuses. ;D

Glad the engines are good.

Sorry...just a little sensitive cause someone in Idaho thinks I'm doing rubbish right now. :big:

Just an update, I am still lurking and reading the posts here. All the amazing work makes me
eager to get my shop running. Everything is moved and in my garage now. The next task is to
get the machines I am keeping running and sell off some of the excess machines. Hopefully in a few weeks I can
be back on my cracker project

I have been busy the last few weeks. The shop is wired and running. Today, after a 6 month hiatus got back to the Cracker project. First few parts of the safety are made.

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0001.jpg

TarheelTom said:
Is the boiler just built from different sizes of copper pipe?

Tom
Basically. You can search other Cracker builds for more boiler build details

Little more work on the Cracker this morning.
Domed the 3/8" Pipe cap so it looks more locomotive like:
DSCN0002.jpg

Fill bung under the dome:
DSCN0003-1.jpg

Completed the relief valve:
DSCN0004.jpg

Sam,
I turned a punch with the radius I wanted that fit the ID of the pipe cap. I annealed the copper. Placed it upside down on a chunk of pine. Slide the punch inside and smacked the punch with a BFH

BMyers said:
Sam,
I turned a punch with the radius I wanted that fit the ID of the pipe cap. I annealed the copper. Placed it upside down on a chunk of pine. Slide the punch inside and smacked the punch with a BFH

BFH, I have several of those. Usually, when ever I use a BFH, it makes the problem worse.

I spent this morning in the shop. Finished making the burner copying a design Shred posted a while back.
First firing was successful in my opinion

0606101142a.jpg

Good to see the Cracker project going again. Burner looks good. What size jet orifice did you use? Mr Glaser does not really specify where the fuel tank is. Where are you going to put it?

Bob

I will have to measure the orifice, i checked the one on my butane torch and copied it. I am going to do something like Shred and put it on the left rear of the frame. I need to mock up the cab in paper to see how everything will work

Burner looks good. It should roar when you put in the boiler.

I looked around for places to put the gas tank, and if you build it according to the original plans, in the cab is about the only spot left unless you build a tender. The other option is lengthening the frames and sticking the tank underneath, but that takes a bit of pre-planning ;)

No one warned me about the mosquitos in Iowa ! Anyhow the weather was cool enough and bug free to get back on the cracker. Finished the fuel tank and dry fit to the frame. I think this will be the final location but I am not going to attach it until I mock up the cab.

afd6868d.png

6ff0ae71.png

are there plans or a kit available for this? I think it looks so cool. Keep up the great work.

Latest posts

Back