My Cracker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myers, thanks for the link. Sounds like it's a fairly wide-open list of materials that fall unter the "Micarta" name. I've probably cut the stuff, at work. Reminds me of G-10 fibreglass,, which I tried to use as an insulator in my first Stirling. It didn't hold up to THAT much direct heat. ;D

J.Tranter, the material I used was a pressed-Mica board, I have some pieces left over from foundry parts we made from it at work. It splits very easily along the grain, just like raw Mica. It's also very abrasive, even to carbide tooling, with nasty dust. I decided that if anything that bad, and expensive, was being used in a foundry, there must be a good (insulative) reason for it, and that the small cut-off bits were worth saving for the boiler saddles on my Crackers.

Edit, apparently, acording to the manufacturer, and the MSDS, the dust is non-toxic, and "only" an irritant. Still, I wasn't hanging over it while machining it, and I used coolant to keep down the dust, like I do with all of the graphite I work with.

What about the use of 'Bakelite' in that application? It seems to me that it would be easy to machine and it does tolerate a great deal of heat. I'm just curious.

BC1
Jim

I ended up with brass supports with a little insulation filler between the boiler and support and another bit between the support and frame plate. Works ok, though the whole loco gets very hot after a while.

How's the Cracker? Updates, updates! ;D Soldered that boiler yet?

The cracker sits stagnate in the shop. I have been spending my time chasing employment opportunities. I have walked to the shop a few times and threatened to work on it but some other silly thing distracts me.

BMyers said:
The cracker sits stagnate in the shop. I have been spending my time chasing employment opportunities. I have walked to the shop a few times and threatened to work on it but some other silly thing distracts me.

Best wishes with the opportunities but please follow through with threats. A lot of good work in this thread and very interesting.

zeeprogrammer said:
A lot of good work in this thread and very interesting.

Too true. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one running. Good luck with the hunting!

I will. But several opportunities will require relocating. I am so distracted with how to move my shop (or if I should) that projects have lost my interest.
I am going to try to get on the cracker maybe next week again, I need to do something to clear my head.

Ah yeah, totally understandable. Well, don't let the Cracker be another point of stress.

Sounds like some very tough decisions coming up. All I can say is...you won't make a bad one. Good luck and keep us posted (no pun intended).

Due to popular demand, I took some time out today and SOLDIERED THE BOILER. It wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. I did get the fill bung a little cockeyed but I am going to live with it.

Boiler After Pickling:
DSCN1827.jpg

A Few Test assembly pics:
DSCN1830.jpg

DSCN1828.jpg

Congrats! That's great to see. ;D

I think that the smaller cylinder, flywheel, and overall length, give your Cracker a better look than mine.

Cool. Once you get over the 'my copper will melt before this @#$% solder...' stage, it's sort of fun.

A little more work tonight. finished banjos and steam feed to engine.
(sorry about the crappy cell photo)
Now to make a pressure relief and goodall valve
3/8" pipe caps make nice little domes

1009091819a.jpg

Hey Vernon,
The cracker project (and Hoglet) is on hold indefinitely. I took a job in Iowa. The shop is in shambles until I get it set back up in my new local. I sold one mill and maybe a lathe. I will post more progress when it happens

Congrats on the new job, I hope it goes well. Not hurrying your Cracker, I just haven't done anything on mine in a few weeks, and wanted to see more locomotive stuff. ;D

Nothing to report on the build. I am now in Iowa. The shop is setting on a trailer in Ohio. The plan is to move the machines over Easter weekend. I hope to be making chips again in May. Until then, I lurk on here a lot.
BTW, all my engines survived the move unharmed !

What part of Iowa? I have served time in Fort Dodge, although it was very short!
BTW, what is the material the boiler is sitting on?
This is my next project....after i clear a few.

Back