Mt New Lathe.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wm460

Reaction score
Call me patriotic but I have been after one of these lathes for years, they were build about approx 45 mins or so from my home town

Before I picked her up.

Well here is an updated photo of her new surroundings
, I haven't got room in my shed.

Hercus lathe. The Rolls Royce of lathes. But built 45 mins from Tennant Creek ? Rof}
It's great to know that after 90 years they are still in business and spare parts are readily available.

Looks like a good solid unit. Ditto the bench it's mounted on. Much better than the usual piece of barbecue plate with four legs that seem to be favoured a lot. Bit of a clean up and she should be a good 'un. I've recently been fiddling around with an old Myford lathe I picked up and I don't reckon it is near as good a lathe as the Hercuses (Herci?) I have used in the past. Nowhere near as solidly built. I guess the American heritage of the Hercus shows. The Ford Fairlane of lathes vs Myford's Morris Minor of lathes maybe.

Must be some horse you got if you can do Tennant Creek to Adelaide in 45 minutes! Or did you grow up in Murray Bridge or somewhere like that?

Interesting little lathe, you should enjoy. Speaking if near buy manufactures, i grew up about 15 minutes from the old Seneca Falls Lathe plant. Always wanted to have a bit of local history but every opportunity that cam up was either too big, to expensive or simply trashed.

I like the looks of the Hercules 260 lathe, do any of you know of the connection between South Bend Lathe and Hercules Lathe Co.
I think I saw that some of the Hercules Lathes are a clone of South bend, can you get parts for the Hercules.

If I had that lathe I would put it on a heavy steel bench.

Latest posts

Back