• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Miller and Lathe for sale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

I am soon to be upgrading my workshop, so my trusty machines are for sale. They will not be split up, they love each other too much.

I recently offered to sell these to another member on the site, but unfortunately he can't squeeze them into the small area he has.

There are pictures of the two machines in this post

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=137.0

I am not going to haggle over this, because you will basically be getting the machines for free.
All the tooling that comes with them must be worth the £1000 I am asking. This offer is only open to members of this site, if advertised elsewhere, they will be a lot more expensive.

There will be nothing included that I can use on my new machine, ie cutters and lathe tools, rotary table, dividing head, but most other things will be there.

The lathe will come with 3 jaw s/c, 4 jaw s/c (both with internal, external and soft jaws), 4 jaw independent, 5c collet chuck with set of imperial 1/32" collets, face plate, drive plate. Q/C toolpost plus about 20+ holders, full coolant system. Plus loads of other bits, If you've got cutters it will be plug and play.

Miller has full coolant system (same type as fitted to lathe), manufacturers stand, full metric & imperial collet set (these will hold all standard sized cutters), 5" vertex vice, boring head, clamp set, 3 axis DRO (only basic, but works very well), keyless chuck etc etc. Again, if you've got cutters, plug and play.

There are a few limitations.

I will clean the swarf off, but not the oil.

The machines will now not be ready to go for about another six weeks.

Because I have kept these machines well serviced and up to date, there is a repair that needs to be done on the tailstock, that is to remove 70 years of wear. This will be featured in a post I will be doing, so the lathe cannot go until I am happy that it is good for a few more years yet.

They will be pick up only. So a trailer or van would be required (plus muscles, I don't have any). You will also have to put up with me for a couple of hours.

Now for a bit about the free machinery.

Atlas 10F, 42" bed length, Imperial lathe

The lathe was purchased by me a few years ago as a wreck.
The bed was reground, a new leadscrew fitted, a Timken taper roller head was fitted.
There is a full set of change gears plus a few (you can cut almost any thread your heart desires on this lathe).
It stands on a well made custom stand and drip tray and machine risers to allow it to be used comfortably by someone over 5ft 9". By taking the 4" risers out, it can be used by people who's a##e is too close to the ground.
There is a fixed steady but no travelling one (rocking horse crap).
I have modified it by fitting friction dials and thrust washers on the traverse and compound, and thrust washers on the leadscrew, my own design of half nuts (plus spares if ever needed), the old version will drop straight back in if wanted. In fact too much to list. Some never used spares are included.
I have almost every bit of documentation released for this lathe, plus spares are still easily obtained at very reasonable prices. I would suggest in the next year or two to replace the drive belt to the head with a linkloc belt (saves having to strip the head down).
I also fitted the lathe with a 1/2 HP motor instead of the recommended 3/4 HP. This allows the lathe to stall without doing any damage to the machine if anything goes wrong.
The lathe has 16 speeds, 8 normal, 8 back geared. Power cross feed.
The lathe is about half as large again as a Myford ML7 and is very accurate.
The electrics were all renewed on rebuild and features NVR plus motor reverse, and the coolant is also on its own NVR sytem.

The miller requires very little explanation, it is a standard 3/4 HP mill/drill. The lead screw nuts are a little worn, and I just can't be bothered to take the table off to adjust them (they are adjustable to take out the play), because the DRO takes account of any play.
I have done a few mods, but nothing like what was done to the lathe.

I bought this second hand approximately 15 years ago, the original owner from new only used it for building a 3" traction engine, and it has served me very well since, and has done a bit of rather nice work.

If you are interested let me know.

BTW UK only sorry, unless you can come and pick it up and pay in UK pounds.

John

PM got.

PM sent.

New PM got.

New PM sent.

Thanks

John

My machines have now found themselves a good home.

John

Congratulations to both the new Husband on what I expect will be a fruitful marriage and the Divorcee, who is now able to get out into the singles market and choose some new partners in earnest with a wedge burning a hole in his pocket.

Bear in mind that we (well me anyway) expect to see lots of output from the new recipient or at least pictures of them in their new home.

OK John when can we expect vicarious retail therapy?

Al

Al,

I won't have the surgery to remove them for another six weeks.

The shop then has to be totally emptied, and I mean everything.

The miller will then come in about two weeks later, followed by the lathe, hopefully July/August (It has most probably not been made yet).

Then followed by a recouperation period to get new shelves and fittings in, so hopefully some time early September will be the start of the first new project.

The main problem will be the down time when nothing can be made. I am expecting major withdrawal symptoms.

The wedge isn't going towards machinery, that will go towards a bit of tooling.

These will most probably the last machines I will ever install, so it has to be just right otherwise it won't feel like a place I can wear my slippers and relax, like I feel at the moment.

The down time will not be wasted. I will be looking for new ways of turning lumps of junk into little engines. I have lots of new ideas, but no way of making them in the time I have before the final decree.

John

Bogstandard said:
My machines have now found themselves a good home.

Didn't think it would take long 8) .............. good luck to the new owner, absolute bargain.

Dave

Back