Mill Questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tmuir said:
I noticed last night that Carbatec sells it with the R8 option but at $200 more for their floor price I don't think I will be getting it there. Also the Hare & Forbes catalogue shows it with an air spring already fitted, Carbatec doesn't. So I gues I will be getting it with the 3MT.

Yeah, I noticed that last night - it's changed since last time I looked. And certainly since I bought mine. :(

I've recently bought an X2 Mill and it came with an R8 taper, it's certainly easy to remove chucks, a light tap with a "comfy" hammer is all it takes :)

So far I've fitted an air spring and a belt drive, I can heartily recommend both modifications, I'm using an R8 collet chuck with a set of ER25 Collet's (don't get the ER32 set, the additional sizes are too big for the X2 Mill) ............. took me ages to work out the difference ...... :( )

So far I'm well pleased with the little feller ............ I'm sure it's capabilities are far more than mine ;)

CC .......... aka .......... Dave

Ah yeas CC, but you're over there & we are over 'ere.

tel said:
Ah yeas CC, but you're over there & we are over 'ere.

An' if I were in the good ol' USA it would be 1/2 the price of "over ere" :wall: .......... Ces't la vie' Tel ........ btw .... did you get the rain I sent ya ;D

atb mate ....... take care ;)

CC

"btw .... did you get the rain I sent ya Grin"

No,you missed by a few hundred miles.You sent it to New Zealand instead :big:

Getting closer to all sorted.
getting Hm-10 (X2) mill with 3MT spindle.

Will probably get ER32 collets as ER25 are not so easy to get here.
Going by the catalogue it will already fitted with air spring so will just need to get the belt drive for it.
I can see a DRO being nice to have but will worry about that later.

Still trying whether to buy a set of cutters or just the ones I need at the moment.

get 'em as you need 'em, or snap up the bargains on ebay, oops... WAIT..... shouldn't 'ave told you that ;)

Good things come to those that wait, as Tel says, just buy the necessities to begin with, and build your tooling up as and when required. Otherwise you just might end up with a load of unessessary gizmos that are never used.

Been there, got the t-shirt.

Doing it that way can usually sneak past the better half's gaze as well, no big outgoings when she scans the bank statement.

Bogs

Speaking of ebay is there any ebay seller in OZ you would recommend for OZ?

There are a few mate, but I'll have to track 'em up for you.

George Vesly (Offcuts Galore) is good for odds and ends of metal, but he's shifted his operation to Oztion following the Great Paypal Schemozzle

tmuir said:
Speaking of ebay is there any ebay seller in OZ you would recommend for OZ?
Assuming you are talking about buying collets, my impression is that most of the engineers supply type shops on Oz ebay are traders not machinists, ie they don't really know how accurate the stuff is they are selling. You may get good collets you may not.

CDCO in Illinois are very competitively priced even when you add $40 to get an order (under 20lb) down here.

I need to order a set of ER32 collets in the not too distant and will be buying from Frank Mari, google Maritool. Frank is a machinist over on Practical Machinist and cares about what he is selling. I can land a set of accurate ER32 collets here from Frank cheaper than I can buy a set at Hare and Forbes

I've dealt with this bloke a number of times - he's pretty good

http://stores.ebay.com.au/cussie7262

..and Ozmestore are pretty reliable as well.

Just how much rain did you send CC? We got 22mm spread over about three days

Agrred Bob, I recently bought a set of (7) MT2 collets, including postage from the US for the price of 2 locally. AND a pair of 1-2-3 blocks, posted, for less than the cost of one locally.

Still, there are good buys to be had.

http://www.oztion.com.au/default.aspx

And this bloke is top notch, especially for odd stuff, even tho' he does have a lousy web site. Just email him with what you are looking for
http://www.moyles.com.au/

bentprop said:
"btw .... did you get the rain I sent ya Grin"

No,you missed by a few hundred miles.You sent it to New Zealand instead :big:

B***dy Royal Mail ........ ::) .......... can't even get the right country now :wall: :big: ;D :big:

CC

Got myself my mill today but no collets or clamps or vice yet.
Will raid ebay tonight for some of that.
I will point out that the HM-10 (X2) mill at Hafco does NOT have the air spring fitted despite the photo in their catalogue showing it does and me asking the salesman before I bought it.
Will be visiting them and looking for some store credit about that I think.....

Latest posts

Back