Micro English wheels and electric hammers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PTsideshow said:
This month issue of The Home Shop Machinist magazine Sept/Oct 2008 issue. Has a very extensive article on the wheeling machine by Kent White of TinmanTech.

I haven't yet subscribed to this since a friend of mine did and he'd send me some of his old copies. He told me recently he was stopping his subscription so I guess I've got to go it alone. :)

Thank you for the heads up on this. While I have to wait until October to get a subscription but I'll keep in mind the article and see if it's either on the website or I can get a back issue.

As to knowing things like the history ... it's always nice to know why things were done they way they were done; it helps reduce the opportunities for making mistakes in fabricating my own.

I definitely liked TinmanTech's site. He's got all sorts of toys I can duplicate in size-appropriate versions but he's also got some books & videos I can most definitely use.

Wheee!

Best regards,

Kludge

Check your local Big Box bookseller as Barnes and Noble sells them here, A lot of hobby shops sell the magazine now. along with the large book and magazine stores near you. Even if you are out there so to speak. :big:

PTsideshow said:
Even if you are out there so to speak. :big:

Out there? That's about right. We have one big box bookseller and that's in Honolulu, the same place the only hobby shop I've found on the island's located.

HNL's kind of the Big City here and a lot of folks on the island have never been there. It's around 40 miles away by highway (Yeah, I know - not far by mainland standards but a huge distance for locals) which includes three separate weather patterns - Leeward where I live, South Shore where Honolulu is and the variable blend around Kapolei. I have to go in anyway (glasses plus an oxygen tank and an adapter for a propane tank for my Smith mini-welder) plus I promised a neighbor (who has never ridden an open Jeep before which I guess means I should behave) a ride to a wonderful tobaccanist next door to where I get my glasses. A fast stop at B&N (or is it Borders?) at Ward Warehouse should be doable on the return run.

:eek: Sudden realization: Some of my posts include what life's like in Hawaii, kind of rambling observations from a mainland haole who's adopted Hawaii as home. I do hope no one objects; there are a lot of differences which make life interesting.

Best regards,

Kludge

Kludge said:
HNL's kind of the Big City here and a lot of folks on the island have never been there. It's around 40 miles away by highway (Yeah, I know - not far by mainland standards but a huge distance for locals) which includes three separate weather patterns - Leeward where I live,

I understand when in the navy back in the 70's. I rented a mazada rotary engine for a day(8Hours) Didn't understand why the guy laughed when I told him I was going to drive around the island.

After 3 trips on the highway that circles it. I took the car back he was still laughing. He said yep no where really to go and you get there pretty fast!
;D

PTsideshow said:
I understand when in the navy back in the 70's. I rented a mazada rotary engine for a day(8Hours)

I was out of the Navy (medical that eventually lead to my disability rating) in '65 but never got here then. I guess when you were here, Hotel Street was still in full swing. :D

Anyway, 8 hours can be quite constructively used if you don't stick to the main roads. Of course, that would entail finding a local "guide" in the process. ;)

After 3 trips on the highway that circles it. I took the car back he was still laughing. He said yep no where really to go and you get there pretty fast!

The Circle Island route (which actually cuts down the center of the island past Schofield Barracks) is 120 miles. Even adding on side trips to Dillingham Airfield on the North Shore and Makaha on the Leeward Coast, it barely gets past 200 miles. It's so short that it's a bus route and the same bus takes 3-4 trips/day. (They go every 1/2 hour or so with one leaving in each direction at the same time. The meeting point is the Turtle Bay Hilton - not a bad spot for a short layover. :))

I spent part of my life hauling freight - local night drops along the OH-PA border then down into W VA for a bit before turning home again. The route was anywhere from 250-500 miles, dependent on which stops I had to make. I was talking to some big truck drivers here and they couldn't visualize a route like that, let alone consider it a local route. If I could still pass the drug tests & physical (med change, courtesy the VA - part won't pass the former and the latter ... well, getting suddenly drowsy driving something much, much bigger than a bread box is a sure way to have a really bad end to one's day.), I could probably have any route I wanted from any company.

Hmmm ... I wonder if I can get a note from my doctors ... ::)

Best regards,

Kludge

Dhow Nunda wallah said:
If you have patient, deaf, or NO neighbours, you could contemplate a helve hammer.

Considering the scale in which I build (loosely: really really small), it wouldn't be quite so noisy and I think I have just the motor to drive it. Even so, I doubt operating it at night would endear me to the neighbors a lot. :D

Thank you for the URL ... I snared it and will be studying Yet Another way to drive my neighbors bonkers.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back