Me and slitting saws don't get along

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Simon,

If you want to get prototypical....you could babbit it.

Dave

I agree with all the comments on blunts saws and gunmetal, etc. When I do these sort of cuts I aim to have a really solid mounting as close to where I am cutting as possible. The photo implies that you cut across the face rather than from the side, which will increase the friction which again the half blunt cutter will not help.

I would treat yourself to a new slitting saw and throw that one away (or you could regrind it you have the patience).

As for the rod, nothing has been lost you can easily silver solder on a slither of extra gunmetal to make up the depth but I would not cut it off the other half that may be tempting fate and then machine both to size, no one will ever know (except all of us Thm:) .

Jo

smfr said:
Thanks all, lots of useful hints there. I think this was one of those "it's getting late and I just want to get this done" screwups.

Now I have to decide whether to continue with this part as-is, try to get it to the right dimensions it by silver-soldering some extra material on, or start a new part from steel. Of course I'm kicking myself for spot-facing the bolt holes so deep that I don't have enough material on the end part.

My Stuart No. 4 has a steel conrod with bronze bushings, because I screwed up the original all those years ago. The slitting of the gunmetal piece went fine, but the bore ended up oversized, resulting in a knock when the engine was running.

To the OP
you haven't used that slitting saw on a ferrous metal before because if you have it will be junk for brass and gunmetal just the same as a file or end mill

Stuart

Back