Making mini sparkplugs.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus,
Your engine is looking very nice. Bet it will run as nice as it looks. A bunch of us are waiting for first pops.

It is possible to build glow plugs in the home shop. Rex & Gordon Stanley wrote a 4 part series on doing so in Strictly IC Magazine", issues 41 through 44. As I recall about 1/2 the series is on building a capacitor discharge percussion welder to weld the coil wire. The other major problem is sourcing the wire to make the coils. The wire is not just a heating element. It also acts as a catalylst for the alcohol to keep things running. I looked into making some glow plugs but never did anything but a little research and thinking. Did find a source for the wire but never bought any.

So glow plugs can be made, but it is more work than most of us are willing to do.

Here is the SIC article listing.
Glow Plugs Using a Homemade Percussion Welder, Making Mini, Micro, & Nano: by Rex & Gordon Stanley: 41-3; 42-3; 43-3; 44-3

Gail in NM

Hi
Could you please tell me what material you used for the insulator. I have made a 15cc V twin engine & would like to make my own spark plug.
Many thanks
Wayne

Wayne : The common material for insulators is corian. Most model Ics are not run under load and do not get hot just warm. The other option is machinable ceramic but it is a bit pricey but may be a better choice if the engine it to be used to produce power.
Corian is used for counter tops and can often be scrounged for kitchen installers.
Machinable ceramic is available from http://www.mcmaster.com/#machinable-ceramic/=rlhm82

1/4" D +- is about $ 20 for a 3" piece.
And please post an introduction in the welcome section tell us a bit about your self your shop and your interest in model engines.
tin

Hi there, I am new to this model engineering, and only built one engine so far, can't help but wonder if the size of the thread and the type of thread on a small spark plug really affect it's performance ??

Regards

Nick

Hi there, I am new to this model engineering, and only built one engine so far, can't help but wonder if the size of the thread and the type of thread on a small spark plug really affect it's performance ??

Regards

Nick

Performance no. The finer the thread you use the larger insulator hole you can drill. Because the threads are not as deep there is more material left. Also the finer thread looks more correct in most cases. otherwise as long as you have 5 threads or so you should be fine with any thread.

Wayne : The common material for insulators is corian. Most model Ics are not run under load and do not get hot just warm. The other option is machinable ceramic but it is a bit pricey but may be a better choice if the engine it to be used to produce power.
Corian is used for counter tops and can often be scrounged for kitchen installers.
Machinable ceramic is available from http://www.mcmaster.com/#machinable-ceramic/=rlhm82

1/4" D +- is about $ 20 for a 3" piece.
And please post an introduction in the welcome section tell us a bit about your self your shop and your interest in model engines.
tin

Hi Tin,

Thanks for the info. I can now retrieve info from "Replies". Plan to make ''DIY'' Spark Plugs for my engines. My friends were laughing at my plan to make DIY Spark Plugs. When they see " Webster'' running with DIY plugs they will be surprised.

Latest posts

Back