Making a Model Train - Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I am very very confused about the dimensions sir. I need a basic set of dimensions for the start up parts such a way that I am able to get them easily from scrap or household items(as my project requires me to).
Why confused I gave a link to a design for a complete yet fairly simple steam locomotive.

http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans2/Cracker/CrackerSteamEngine.pdf"
you may need to think and use some imagination. As an engineering student you should be able to read a blue print and compile a bill of materials.

Tin

Why confused I gave a link to a design for a complete yet fairly simple steam locomotive.

http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans2/Cracker/CrackerSteamEngine.pdf"
you may need to think and use some imagination. As an engineering student you should be able to read a blue print and compile a bill of materials.

Tin

Yes sir I have gone through the link you gave me. All the details and dimensions in all views are shown perfectly. But for that type of engine I should buy all raw materials from 'MARKET' and then machine them according to the dimensions.

It would mean that I am deviating from my main theme! So I was asking you about some materials that I could use from scrapyard or things found at home or make something out of waste.

Thank You.

I have a question for you princegift, by answering this question we might be able to help you out a little more.

What is your time frame for this project?

We wouldn't want to lead you down a road that takes months when you only have a couple weeks. That's why I'm asking

I have a question for you princegift, by answering this question we might be able to help you out a little more.

What is your time frame for this project?

I have been given time till January 15 2014 to get atleast a "partially or non-working" model ready and then again time till february 28th to get it working.

Thanks. :)

Ok that's a doable time frame, what kind of tools or equipment do you have access to?

Well I have access to a lathe, milling machine, drilling machine. But the machining process should be least or the machining of parts on those machines should be very less sir.

Thanks.

I still do not see your confusion. a machined parts is a machined part. A boiler is a boiler.
If your project requires that you scrounge or buy from a scrap dealer then do it.

I purchase very little from market most of what I use are "drops" metal that drops on the floor after what is needed is cut . I have used pieces of coat hangar and bicycle spoke for engines. I have made flywheels from brass plate stock.
Like I said copper plumbing pipe or apiece of brass waste pipe. for a boiler.

Find some old wheels or gears that you can reshape for wheels and flywheels crank disks. . Printers and copy machines have plenty of steel shaft material.

The american inventor Thomas Edison used to say the only thing you need to invent is a little imagination and a big pile of junk.
so print out the plan set i sent the link for. Find a big pile of junk and pull out the item s that you need to make the parts on the paper. flat copper can easily be hammered into a cup shape and plate stock can be made into round flywheels.

I can not tell you what is in your local scrap yard you will just have to look.

Tin

Okay sir
I will start with this right away.
Will keep updating about the status as it develops!

Thanks.

Without doubt the easiest type of steam locomotive to make would be a vertical boilered type. Look up DeWinton slate quarry loco. This would do away with most of the superstructure & could be run with a simple oscillating engine. Easy to bend a basic frame & minimum parts. Can be made as small as HO [00] scale.
This would at least give you a chance at completing the project in a reasonable time.
Leonard

Greetings Wizard! I absolutely agree with you in all aspects. But the theme itself is 'STEAM' !!!! There were few topics that were brainstormed by everyone and then chits were picked. We have to do the 'Steam Engine driven Greentrain' :) :)
The simple approach would be a steam turbine. Here I'm thinking Hero's aeolipile. Not exactly practical but it would put on a nice show! If you don't need to pull the cars far it would be a fun solution.

May I suggest that if an "engineering student" seeks advice on an online forum for something as simple as a railway locomotive then he is probably doing the wrong college course.
I realise that this will probably sound like a harsh comment but his college should be teaching him something about engineering not how to scrounge information and materials.
Everything that he needs to know from the strength and suitability of materials to the power required to move a specified weight is available elsewhere and I respectfully suggest that he would get more understanding and possibly better course marks by finding out from accredited sources rather than amateur, after all this is supposed to be his project not ours.
It is bad enough that Asian industry produces such crap machinery but one day this guy may be working on India's nuclear power generation programme and go looking down the bazaar or whatever for a bit of "metal"
Another Chernobyl ! heaven forbid.

May I suggest that if an "engineering student" seeks advice on an online forum for something as simple as a railway locomotive then he is probably doing the wrong college course.
I realise that this will probably sound like a harsh comment but his college should be teaching him something about engineering not how to scrounge information and materials.
Everything that he needs to know from the strength and suitability of materials to the power required to move a specified weight is available elsewhere and I respectfully suggest that he would get more understanding and possibly better course marks by finding out from accredited sources rather than amateur, after all this is supposed to be his project not ours.
It is bad enough that Asian industry produces such crap machinery but one day this guy may be working on India's nuclear power generation programme and go looking down the bazaar or whatever for a bit of "metal"
Another Chernobyl ! heaven forbid.

Hi!

Let me tell you something.
First of all nobody asked you here for some rude suggestions or insulting remarks.
I am a student from Indian engineering college not any technical course college.
NOTE: Many Famous and legendary scientists and engineers are from India
I myself am person having interest in any and almost all fields. I am a musician leading the band Gifmerize since 3 years.
I am a gold medalist in athletics.
I am the soccer captain of my school, then college.
Still there are many others which I would not like to put down here.

Now I want to do something in the mechanical field through this project.
In your place and college they may be spoon-feeding you with each and every ready-made details. I can clearly assume that by reading your post.
AND YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT NUCLEAR POWER??? HA HA HA
But keep in mind it is not the same with us. We struggle, research, take advice and ultimately achieve something.

Thanks!

Abby
A brief note about your totally inappropriate comments.
Having taught college for 33 years in technical and engineering areas, it astounds me how "off-base" you are.
Yes, engineering students learn mathematics, material properties, physics, design, etc. However, a more valuable and desirable skill is not taught. That is how to learn and how to design/ build around obstacles. The obstacles may be a limited budget, not enough information provided in the design specs or a totally new way to make something or perform a process.
For this student to ask questions or to want to know how to get around a limitation is admirable. It it how we learn.
This isn't a new concept. Apprentices have been doing it for centuries.
I could go on, but I'm hoping you get the point.
When I started building model engines, I had never seen a mill. My total contact with lathes was of the wood variety.
I asked questions and received gracious and friendly help and advice.
Comments such as yours are why the helpful members of HMEM (like Bogs) have left this forum.
I'm impressed that you know everything and don't need to ask questions.

Stan
M. Ed, Ed.D. and member of Mensa who still asks questions.

Abby
A brief note about your totally inappropriate comments.
Having taught college for 33 years in technical and engineering areas, it astounds me how "off-base" you are.
Yes, engineering students learn mathematics, material properties, physics, design, etc. However, a more valuable and desirable skill is not taught. That is how to learn and how to design/ build around obstacles. The obstacles may be a limited budget, not enough information provided in the design specs or a totally new way to make something or perform a process.
For this student to ask questions or to want to know how to get around a limitation is admirable. It it how we learn.
This isn't a new concept. Apprentices have been doing it for centuries.
I could go on, but I'm hoping you get the point.
When I started building model engines, I had never seen a mill. My total contact with lathes was of the wood variety.
I asked questions and received gracious and friendly help and advice.
Comments such as yours are why the helpful members of HMEM (like Bogs) have left this forum.
I'm impressed that you know everything and don't need to ask questions.

Stan
M. Ed, Ed.D. and member of Mensa who still asks questions.

Greetings sir!

I truly admire the words said by you. Those are the words and thoughts only an EXPERIENCED professor can express!

Thank You :)

AbbY: we have had students from third word counties show up here seeming show up and almost demand someone hand them a plan for a complete senior project.
That behavior is not allowed here.
PG has come here looking for help ,support and guidance. He has asked respectfully.

My son built his own steam engine when he was 14 . Not many kids are that fortunate these days. Shop classes are being replaced with math science and mock court rooms.
Like Stan said design and engineering is about limits and learning to work within them . Learning to work around and through and trample obstacles.

In the USA during WWII reuse re purpose repair recycle was the way of life.Many of us have forgotten that.
So the goal of building a steam engine of prepossessed parts is cool.

There is way too much knowledge in this world for university to teach it all to a student. University is to learn how to learn, how to investigate how to discover.

All are welcome here who want to learn about building engines the only exception might be someone showing up to design an Engine for commercial mass production and expecting us to do his or here research.

We are not here as a consulting service to do the work for an engineer or engineering student.
we are here to help others learn how to learn and where to learn that includes engineering students.

PG no need to get too defensive all here are entitled there respectful options . This is a forum so we expect and encourage various points of view as long as they are presented in a respectful manner.

Stan thank you for your perspective.

Tin

Greetings again sir!

Thank You for your encouraging words and support.
And I wanted to say that I have begun the process of 'search and collect' raw materials from scrapyards, storeroom, etc!

Very soon I will update the progress made so far.

Thank You!

Thank You for your encouraging words and support.
And I wanted to say that I have begun the process of 'search and collect' raw materials from scrapyards, storeroom, etc
Sounds good
It may help you to write a bill of materials list to speed the collection process.
And sometimes close counts woks you may have to tweak the plan set to fit material. and take your calipers and or machinist rule with you as youselect. materials.
Tin

It is quite apparent that regardless of IQ , experience etc, etc , that the point I was trying to make has gone over your heads so I will say no more other than "the blind leading the blind "
Goodnight Vienna !

Back