Making a Model Train - Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so the plan of action is this.... I'm sending Gift scans of the plans afore mentioned. If those plans are suitable for his group, we need to make up a parts list, so they can go hunting & scrounging. Then they can start an orderly build.
Its been difficult to give Gift advice as the goal has moved steadily larger with his enthusiasm.
One problem I foresee is that Stans would naturally be a patented book, so I cant post plans on this forum for other members to view; need advice here Tin. Gift can of course post pics of progress.
Are you able to do that Gift?
so, a start.
Leonard

Its been difficult to give Gift advice as the goal has moved steadily larger with his enthusiasm.

Hello Lennard!

Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants. When he goes scrounging, what he finds will dictate what he builds and if materials are scarce, the goal will start to shrink back down. You might be sending him plans for a simple wobbler.

One problem I foresee is that Stans would naturally be a patented book, so I cant post plans on this forum for other members to view; need advice here Tin

Len it is the policy i not to share plans that are under current copyright especially recent work . The Stan bray book is recent. Sharing copy-written material is illegal.
However posting a page or three for review and discussion is ok. As long as full credit is given.
If you post pages 144,145,146 and 153 it will show the essence of the engine but no where near the full plan set.

You can of course choose page numbers but strive for the essence of the engine minimum pages and limit detail to protect the copyright holder. So anyone who wants to see the full plans order the book.

The book is readily available here in the USA for about $30 depending on where you buy it. Mine came from Walmart.com they were the cheapest now are on the higher end.

Simple model steam engines book

Tin

Hi Stevehuckss396, if you read the posts the goal has already shrunk back to his original ambition - a small steam loco. I dont agree with scrounging for materials then build to what you've got.' For a project to succeed you must work to a plan. If you cant source the materials then you fail. That wont happen in this case cause if they cant source materials, I'll send them to him, but I have confidence that they'll be able to get the materials locally. The loco is not that involved.

............................................................................................

This will be a 'team build' with a difference. They have to do all the work. So what I propose, so that forum members are included, is that the project be divided up into components, eg boiler,boiler fittings, burner,frame,wheels, axles, engine, etc. Someone with the expertise can instruct/help Gift & his group build the component at the appropriate time & in a build sequence, then the next person can do their bit.
If this sounds OK then I'd be happy to hear from members who could help.
Leonard

Tin,
I follow what is required re copyright.
Tin $30.00 is half a years wages in some parts of the world. Have already asked him about library availability, & not available.
Cheers,
Leonard
Len I understand what you are saying I am suggesting folks here in the US or in the UK where itis published that want the book should buy it.
You also have to realize that as an administrator of this board I can not and will not promote or condone the sharing of copyright protected material other than a few pages for review.

I can say thank you for reaching out and wanting to help this kid and his colleagues.
I have no problem with people helping and guiding . And the progress can be posted in the team build section.
Tin

Tin,
I had not anticipated people have to buy the book at all. I just acknowledged your policy re copyright.
I can supply them with the appropriate info for the parts they are to monitor building.
Cant think of another way to team build this.
I have never built an engine to plans anyway, always change something, usually only base my build around the plan.
I dont mind if his build is based on an open forum though. Interested to see what will happen.
cheers,
Leonard

Greetings to all the honorable sir(s) here!

I am extremely sorry I was away. I was busy day and night working on the steam engine. I actually forgot that this is a christmas season!
Sir Leonard has been very kind and helpful all the time. He has explained me theoretically how the loco works and sent me few plans too. We have finished with the machining of wheels(used MS bars of a scrapped BUS from a scrap yard) and done with the axles and the support frames too.
Leonard sir has sent me the plans for a DeWinton style vertical boiler loco from Stan Brays 'Making Simple Model Steam Engines'. It is a twin cylinder oscillating engine type.
But the plans for piston, safety valve and regulator are missing. Haven't heard from Leonard sir since quite sometime. I guess he is having some problem there with his new pc that he bought recently or something else. Hoping to hear from his soon.
Tomorrow we are planning to start with cylinder piston machining sir(s). But the plans for piston, safety valve and regulator are missing. Could anyone please spare their valuable time and help me out on this?

Thank You again!

(Below I am posting a pic of the wheel)

DSC_1715.jpg

DSC_1721.jpg

Tomorrow we are planning to start with cylinder piston machining sir(s). But the plans for piston, safety valve and regulator are missing. Could anyone please spare their valuable time and help me out on this?
Will see what i can do.
Tin

Very nice job on those loco wheels, machining the parts to accuracy, at the model scale size, will greatly enhance your ability to know how to design and construct larger components, in your field of interest.

To know whats involved in the hands on experiance of machining mechanical parts, will greatly help you to know how to design for real world situations, what can be done and what can't be done with machining tasks on certain parts of a design, as well as what machines would do a specific task, that would need to be accomplished.

This hands on training is a great benefit towards your goal to be a mechanical engineer.

Keep up the great work.

Greetings to everyone!

I am posting the progress so far. Kindly have a look at the pic. It contains few parts we have machined so far.

Thank You.

DSC_1724.jpg

DSC_1725.jpg

Back