Looking for an easy hit and miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compressor man

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I am not a beginner but in no way would I call myself experienced. I am close to finishing my third steam engine now (an Elmers engine). I have also never built a IC. Is there a set of plans for a hit/miss that someone without a ton of engines under their belt could handle? Preferably some with documentation that explains the process of ignition ;)

Chris

My suggestion would be the Kerzel Hit and Miss engine. It was my first I.C. engine and I didn't find anything to be overly complicated. My build log for this engine can be found here. Brian Rupnow has also done an excellent build log found here.

The easiest i.c. engine by far is the Webster. It is the classic "First i.c. engine" for many of us. It is not a hit and miss. Hit and miss engines have another level of complexity because of the centrifugal governor system. I have built both the Webster and the Kerzel, and in my opinion the Webster should be built first, to develop the skills to build the Kerzel.---Brian

Latest posts

Back