Lifelong Dream: Live Steam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dsquire said:
1. Have image you want on screen
2. Press <Ctrl> -<Print Screen>
3.Go to blank page in word processor press <Crel> - <C> this will insert the image on the page. Now save the page.

Cheers :)

Don

Shouldn't no. 3 perhaps be Ctrl + V and not Ctrl + C ?

AlasdairM said:
Shouldn't no. 3 perhaps be Ctrl + V and not Ctrl + C ?

Correct. Cntl + V is paste. Also you can use Paint, or other image editors to do this and then save it as a .jpg. Oddly, there is also a way to do this in PowerPoint.

AlasdairM

Your right, it should be Ctrl C V. That's what happens when you post when you should be sleeping! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers :)

Don

Some days I just can't win. I hope that it now says Ctrl-V. You guys are supposed to jump all aver me when I mess up like that , especially twice on the same letter! :big: :big:

On my IBM-style keyboard there is a key on the upper right (next to Scroll Lock) marked Print Screen. To save a screen as a jpg I hit the Print Screen key, then I open my photo editor and do an "Insert" or "Paste" command and the screen image pops up. Then I edit and save as usual.

As no one seemed upset by the pic of a big, blue, pressure cylinder being sliced into by my bandsaw, (it was a Nitrous Oxide cylinder), here's what I did with the pieces of it.

Below, the short section which resides above the firebox, on the left, and the firebox/rear tube sheet (with threaded plugs in holes). I built in sections, as this thing, remember, is a bit over 9 inches inside diameter, and the wall just under 1/4-inch thick; the parts are heavy! Always wondered how thick those cylinders were, I thought close to 1/2" (wrong), and what the inside surface looked like- pretty rough. Still wonder how they make them. The stuff welded real nice.

img01410.jpg

Here we have the pieces above being joined at the hip-- sitting atop my old "buzz-box", the little arc welder I have had all my working life, bought in 1964 new for $92.00, it's been overheated innumerable times till the windings smelled bad, still works, only welding machine I had up until I got a MIG welder only about 15 years ago, the yellow Trindl then was about 30!
img01510.jpg

The back face view showing the "firehole". Still wonder if it's big enough to feed coal through.......
img01610.jpg

Here's the whole gizmo hanging from the chain hoist, showing also the inside view of the firebox, which is attached to the front of the boiler shell itself. The silvery thing inside is the "pettycoat" assembly, a 2-piece set of venturis which hang down from the smokestack above, and through which blower steam or exhaust steam exit at high speed, creating a vacuum which draws the heat and combustion products through the boiler tubes from the firebox in back, up and out through the stack. The boiler is too heavy for 2 guys to pick up comfortably: herniaville visited!! Thanks for looking at my drivel! jack
img02210.jpg

Forgive me for the lull in my sequence of construction, as well as the rather poor picture quality; these were from back when only 35mm action was in my repertoire.

First, the cylinder block parts, partially assembled. This consists of 9 parts in total, excluding the valve and cylinder liners. These 9 are of 6061-T651 aluminum, The plate on the right, with 2 big and 2 smaller holes, there are 2 of these, pressed onto the ends of the cylinder and valve sleeves, seen to the left, with the other plate already in place, at the bottom of the stack. In addition to the press fit, the plates are securely screwed to a wide block, about 1" thick by 3" wide. This block contains the passage which carries the exhaust steam to the center, between the cylinders, and exits upward through the exhaust nozzle stand, which screws down to the top of the block from within the smokebox. 2 smaller blocks may be seen which are screwed to the inside vertical edge of the plates, and the cross-block at top. These smaller blocks straddle the engine frames, being screwed to them from the the inside by 1/4-20 socket head capscrews.
img11913.jpg

The next view shows one of the plates being made up in the Bridgeport mill. Wherever possible, I try to design parts in such a way, given their size allows, that they may be held in the machine's vise, rather than clamped down as a workpiece often must be.
img12011.jpg

The valve and cylinder liners, of bronze, are seen in the last pic. They were at that point incomplete, as the steam ports and passages still had to be made. Again, my apologies, at the time of this work, I was still very "green", and had no idea what a forum was, or much less, it's need for good, descriptive illustrations. Thank you for your interest! In the event I missed some pertinent point, or any other questions should arise, I am always happy to answer! jack
img12212.jpg

You might like this Jack?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVogfVxXPc[/ame]

This one is worth a look also.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAgSU6BCpsY[/ame]

Wes, I surely am interested in these vids! My dial-up failed to bring them up. I promise to view them when I can get to a public terminal.

No high-speed anything here where we live, exceptin' maybe when I grab a beer............ ;) jack

Anybody know what happened to this fellow? I was enjoying his build of one of my favorite locomotives: the mighty 4-8-4!

Chris,

There was a parting of the ways some time ago.

Best Regards
Bob

Anybody know what happened to this fellow? I was enjoying his build of one of my favorite locomotives: the mighty 4-8-4!

Jiminy Christmas! My life changed in so many ways, the forum was somehow displaced and forgotten! Our PC was destroyed in a home break-in while we wintered in a warmer clime. Evidently, the new computer stuff had no reference to this particular forum.

I'll try to pick up where I left off! I was alerted today, by chance, of a PM written here, to me: it came from Admin!

jack

Latest posts

Back