lathe tooling question, face-plate or 4jaw ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldncrusty

Reaction score
Im in the middle of restoring my SB 9, i dragged home,
and It came with a 3 jaw, Im in a self-debate on weather to buy a 8inch- face-plate, from MLA, or a 4-jaw chuck/back plate as my next purchase,
so i was wondering what you guys use most for your engines, 4 jaw or face-plate ?
if 4-jaw what size recommended?

ive an odds and ends engine to finish building
i got shipped up to me, from being in storage for 5 yrs, after i lost my shop,
its been awhile and ive forgotten so very much,
thanks
john

It came with a 3 jaw, Im in a self-debate on weather to buy a 8inch- face-plate, from MLA, or a 3-jaw chuck/back plate

Is the second reference to a 3-jaw above a typo?

lol,,yes,,I mean a 4-jaw,,,Thank you Ive changed it,,,gawd im gettin old, and type with 2 fingers

I like face plate work but I think that in your situation I would go for the 4-jaw setup first. I think that you will find it a bit more towards your needs. Of course I could be wrong but the majority of turning jobs probably gets done in a chuck of some sort. As to size, that really depends on what you plan to do the most of. A good 8 inch would be nice for the larger pieces but a 6 inch would suit the majority of jobs. Your selection really depends upon what you foresee the machine being used for. There is always the chance you could get a 6 and an 8 inch and have the best of both worlds.

BC1
Jim

Hard to say because I use both. I guess the 4 jaw gets more use. But I plan on using the face plate this weekend. What the heck, get both.

I guess it depends on what you plan on making with the lathe. Which ever one you get, you will need the other one within a week. Murphy's law!

I personalty use the four jaw have not used the face plates. I have a craftman 109 that the back plate for the four jaw is the face plate/drive plate.
the only difference between a face plate and a back plate is the slots vs holes. a 6" 4 jaw is about as big as you want to go on a SB 9 an 8" chuck you will not be able to get full use as the jaws will hit the ways when extended too far.
Tin

Have you ever lifted an 8" chuck? While my 8" is nice for the rare big job, the 6" gets far more use.

6" 4 Jaw was factory on the SB9.

A big faceplate won't hurt you , provided you can get the saddle wings by it.

Dave

I'd go for a 4 jaw everytime. Far more usefull. depending on what you are trying to hold, if you remove the jaws you have a rudimentary face plate of sorts.
This may not be cost effective on something larger (size of plate ) but as a quick dodge when my 4 jaw was too small to use and I didn't have a faceplate for my tiag, I bolted a scrap piece of Al plate to the face of the 4 Jaw. Made a couple of nuts to fit the jaw slots. Why I didn't just drill and tap a couple of holes in the body I don't know. I've since bought and made a couple of faceplates now. thats the beauty of small lathes. Doesn't cost much to make/buy things for them ;D

peter

Latest posts

Back