Busy Bee/ Craftex 7 x 12 Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You misunderstood. I am saying that for my projects I do not need the precision of a 4 jaw chuck all of the time. So the 3 jaw sits on the lathe and the 4 jaw waits in a cabinet for the times when I need the precision or when I need to clamp an odd shaped work piece.

I am recommending that you need both.

Tonight I finished a new tool post and I didn't need the 4 jaw to make some simple spacers or to face off an insert.

Clearer?

Checking and reducing the runout to spindles does not really affect the 3 jaw chuck.You cannot achieve and MAINTAIN great accuracy with a 3 jaw
If you want minimum runout use collets or 4 jaw. The 3 jaw is used most
because it convenient.If you do a no of operation without removing the job from the chuck,its as accurate as you will want.Also good for roughing and facing without problems.Most jobs can be performed well with the 3jaw
hence its usefulness.If the job is removed from the 3jaw and reversed for
more ops then switch to collets or 4 jaw.Yes setting the 4 jaw is time consuming but some times its the only way to achieve accurate concentricity

Has anybody ever tried using mt3 Collets in the lathe instead of a chuck?

It works fine, infact it is preferred.
A good set of collets will hold your work truer and 'chucked' far quicker than any chuck.
I believe in the days before chucks, faceplates or collets were your only options.
Chucks became a defacto standard because they're generally quicker and easier than setting up a faceplate.

It works fine, infact it is preferred.
A good set of collets will hold your work truer and 'chucked' far quicker than any chuck.
I believe in the days before chucks, faceplates or collets were your only options.
Chucks became a defacto standard because they're generally quicker and easier than setting up a faceplate.

How true was where most items you turned/what was the runout like?

Third time lucky posting this?!

Less than the 3-jaw and better than my patience clocking a 4-jaw.

Edit: I posted twice before and got an error message each time, finally!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back