Lathe Tool Set Help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Reaction score
Morning all,
I've not had much of a chance to get into the shop lately and start building engines, mainly down to taking over the business I used to work for. I've got a free weekend coming up that I'm devoting solely to shop time, so I want to get everything tweaked and tuned ready to start producing!
When I installed the machines, I bought a lathe tool set, with carbide replaceable tips.
I'm having some difficulty identifying which is which though, and would appreciate some help.
here's a pic of them
P3201113.JPG

Working from left to right in numerical order some of them I'm aware of
1: parting tool
5: single point threading tool external
9: single point threading tool internal

The others though, I'm not too sure which is which.
Out of those tools, which would be the main work horse for turning down to diameter, turning into a shoulder, making a chamfer etc

Thanks

Matt

Matt
They advertise them as a 9pce indexable carbide inserts, allan keys and screwdriver*includes:1pce right hand turning and facing tool, 2pce boring bars, 1pce internal threading tool, 1pce external threading tool, 1pce parting tool, 3pce various angle approach tools.The 2 3 and 4 are the 3pce various angle approach the 6 is a right hand turning and facing tool and the 7and 8 on the right are boring bars.
Davo

Matt:
I suggest if you have not already done so download a copy of Fundamentals of Machine Tools" TC 9-524
ARMY-TC-9-524

Page 7-7, Fig 7-5 gives a pretty good diagram of various lathe tool shapes and how they are used. Your insert tools are a little different but I thing the picture will show how and and for what operation your tools are used.
TC 9-524 Lathes
Tin

Latest posts

Back