Karl Benz engine 1886

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am looking at making this engine. Any chance of seeing your video of your final product.
Many thanks
Richard in Tasmania

Hi, Richard,
Happy to hear the you are also interested in building this engine.
Most of the work with the engine is getting almost completed.
The link for the final video will be posted soon.

Edward.
Sri Lanka.

Hello,
What is that motor kit, and what scale is it..I have always liked that engine......

Here is at translated description of the engine casting set etc.
This model engine is a model-like replica, the engine that Karl Benz installed in his first motor car in 1886. This is a water-cooled single-cylinder, four-stroke engine with intake valve. The exhaust takes place via an exhaust valve inserted in the cylinder head. The slide as well as the outlet valve are driven by a control shaft. The motor vehicle was driven by a pulley, also wedged on the control shaft. The dimensions of the engine correspond to a scale of approx. 1/3. This model engine is for operation with commercially available mixed gas
(Propane / butane). As in the original, the cooling takes place with water, which circulates in the cylinder due to the temperature difference. Due to its small cooling surface, the engine is not designed for higher speeds in continuous operation. The cast part set of this model motor contains 7 unprocessed cast parts in cast aluminum and gray cast iron, one piece of cast round for the liner and the drawing documents.
Parts still required for assembly such as piston rings, spark plugs, ignition coils and etc. can be found under "Engine accessories" and can be ordered at the same time. The price nominated on the web site is 290Euro plus postage
From JohnSamphier member.

If you have trouble translating, Google have a built in translator that you can post script or just single word for translation into English.

John Samphier

HI group, is anyone still on this thread. I am wanting to embark on a very slow journey of building a full scale replica of this amazing car, but am struggling to find any specificate plans, drawings and dimensions etc....I even tried finding the dimensions on a scale model but can not get any help. Is there anyone on here that has full scale or 1/3 scale numbers on size, dimensions etc etc that could help me out. Thanking you all for any help. Cheers from Australia :) Oct 2020

gg are you able to give me the bevel gearing sizes i believe one is module1 30 tooth but the other i have no size for. also the diff gears are you able to give me details of
thanking you in anticipation
Swen

Wrench, i am in Australia also, way down in sunny Vic perhaps we could share info

Here is at translated description of the engine casting set etc.
This model engine is a model-like replica, the engine that Karl Benz installed in his first motor car in 1886. This is a water-cooled single-cylinder, four-stroke engine with intake valve. The exhaust takes place via an exhaust valve inserted in the cylinder head. The slide as well as the outlet valve are driven by a control shaft. The motor vehicle was driven by a pulley, also wedged on the control shaft. The dimensions of the engine correspond to a scale of approx. 1/3. This model engine is for operation with commercially available mixed gas
(Propane / butane). As in the original, the cooling takes place with water, which circulates in the cylinder due to the temperature difference. Due to its small cooling surface, the engine is not designed for higher speeds in continuous operation. The cast part set of this model motor contains 7 unprocessed cast parts in cast aluminum and gray cast iron, one piece of cast round for the liner and the drawing documents.
Parts still required for assembly such as piston rings, spark plugs, ignition coils and etc. can be found under "Engine accessories" and can be ordered at the same time. The price nominated on the web site is 290Euro plus postage
From JohnSamphier member.
Ciao , io sono interessato a questo modello, mi sai dire dove si acquista? Sito internet o link. Grazie

hello
a conical torque of 15/30 teeth module 1 for the motor

Here is the first model I've seen. Centerfold in issue #25 of Model Engine Builder magazine. It does run and is strong enough that his grandaughter could sit in the seat.

MEB Issue 25 21.jpg

gg thankyou so much for the bevel gear info, i suspected it was a 2:1 ratio. do you have the details of the differential gears.
thankyou
Swen

hello
the crankshaft is produced by attached, pinned components, cut the through axis last. for the differential I put 4 bevel gears, 15 teeth,

Attachments

• IMG_1363 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1363 [800x600].JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1364 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1364 [800x600].JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1461 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1461 [800x600].JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1462 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1462 [800x600].JPG
    82 KB · Views: 146
hello
the crankshaft is produced by attached, pinned components, cut the through axis last. for the differential I put 4 bevel gears, 15 teeth,
L'albero motore ha solo perni di fissaggio a pressione? O anche saldatura a ottone?

fit tight pins plus chamfer for brazing if necessary

i have been thinking about how to make the wheel rims, can anyone offer me any suggestions

Back