J.Ridders twin internal valve flame eater. my interpritation.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all :)

just thought I'd share my planned project (not strictly a work in progress as its not started yet :p) of building my own version of J.Ridders twin cylinder flame eater.
its only got as far as a quick solidworks model but I'm pleased with my look so far. (image attached)
i wanted to try the double cylinder version but I'm going to keep the "push rod" valve design of the single cylinder version (which i built as a project last year, one day i will get round to organising my pics and do a write up on that too)

i always feel kind of guilty using someone Else's plans (even though he gives them away for free), I always like to change it in some way to put my own stamp on it. even though I'm basically combining two of his designs together anyway ha ha.
I think it should be a fun little project.

let me know what you guys think,
i would love some constructive criticism and feed back on this, I'm fairly new to this forum and this will be my second engine build.

;D thanks

Matt T

3.JPG

Looks pretty good to me!

If i was to change one thing it would be the top of the block.
It looks a bit plain just flat.
Maybe a bit thicker with fins for heat dissipation?

And while you are at it how about a bit of decorative work on the support columns?

Andrew

lazylathe said:
If i was to change one thing it would be the top of the block.
It looks a bit plain just flat.

Thanks Andrew.
i do agree with you about the top of the block, i was thinking about engraving the top. maybe a flame pattern or something like that.

Don't feel guilty about using other peoples plans. Weather purchased or complimentary plans, it can be a compliment to the designer that others took an intrest in their work and wish to duplicate the effort with our own interpretations attached to the project. I have scratched built my own designs and also have made engines designed by others just based on photographs on the web. It helps me cause I like somebody elses layout or style and it helps the hobby. I YOUTUBE most of my models and credit if the source was not my own.

yeah, dont feel guilty bout it. actualy, Jan likes it when you send him pics or vid of your running model build after his plans. and if that doesnt stop the feeling of guild, send him small fee and all is well :)
Pascal

i cant get down to making it yet as Ive only just acquired a lathe and miller, still need to buy tools and get my home wokshop set up.

but it gives me more time to make it look pretty in solidworks.

here's a few more pics, i like the idea of the two tone flywheel. Ive seen it done a few times on here. whats the best way to go about making it?

what would be the best way to achieve a nice fit on the piton/valve and cylinder?

would using a flexi hone to smooth the cylinders and then turning the internals to match be best.

when i built my single cylinder i had access to a speed hone so i could achieve a perfect round parallel fit, but i don't have access's to it anymore.

the crank and conrods Will sit on bearings but i don't know the sizes I'm going to use yet so i left it out of the model for now

2.JPG

3.JPG

12.JPG

11.JPG

Latest posts

Back