Inverted Hit n Miss engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck,
I am still new on the forum and have learned much from you and others. Thanks for taking the time to document you ideas and share them with the rest of the world
Mike

Thanks for dropping in, Mike. Unfortunately I do make mistakes and hopefully you and others will recognize them and point them out.

Speaking of mistakes, I seem to have fallen into a pattern of starting on a part before I have fully thought it through. This usually either results in remaking the part, or working harder on subsequent parts to integrate them with first one.

Such is the case with the head on this cylinder. In trying to figure out how to attach the intake and exhaust manifolds, I finally decided I need to remake the head with some different dimensions. And, adhering to my new philosophy that I'll save the good material for the final pass, this time I'm using aluminum assuming I'll have at least one more go at it after this one to get it right! ;) Actually, I'm using aluminum because it's cheaper and I can't think of any good reason not to.

So, here is my new 2" x 2" x 3/4" blank ready for further machining. Stay tuned...

6147e57e.jpg

I like your rotary table, very nicely made.

Can you say a bit about the center bearing? Is there any kind of ball bearing in there, or just a simple, well fitted plain bearing?

Chuck I have done the same thing many times. The bad part about it is when I use brass and have to throw it into a pile in the corner. That gets very expensive after a while and hell I have only built three engines. I ruin many a cylinders, chaulk it up to learning the hard way. I guess I should start using alimunium huh, a lot cheaper. I am still here watching with interest.

Don.

RonGinger said:
I like your rotary table, very nicely made.

Can you say a bit about the center bearing? Is there any kind of ball bearing in there, or just a simple, well fitted plain bearing?

Thanks, Ron. Here is a link to a thread here which has some pictures of the table disassembled along with descriptions. I use this table in my mill more than my other two, geared rotary tables.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=7714.0

Much easier to set up and center work on this table. Also much faster to put a radius on a part. Just have to be careful not to climb cut unless they are very shallow or the bit can grab the work and spin it out of control very quickly. I got the idea for this rotary table from Model Engineer's Workshop, Summer 1990. Don't know if that's the first issue, but it's the earliest one I have.

Chuck

A few more pictures. I got the head pretty much finished today (and this will be the final one). First a picture of the bottom. The round part will extend down through the base and the spark plug will be threaded in from this side. I greatly increased the diameter of this so the thickness below the combustion chamber would be greater.

03b2f64a.jpg

More work done on the top. The threaded hole coming in from the side will be the exhaust side.

9cc6ffee.jpg

Another shot of the bottom after drilling some holes and shaping the sides. The side with the long flat section will be the intake manifold side.

c68c9722.jpg

And the top...

7ab780d0.jpg

Had to bore out the hole in the base to accommodate the larger circular portion on the bottom of the head.

b7f06b55.jpg

Here's the base with the head bolted in place. I also had done a bit more shaping after I took the pictures above. There is now a raised ring, 1/16" thick and 1/16" high that encircles the cylinder.

051e6d74.jpg

And a picture of the base and head with the cylinder sitting in place.

e812f39f.jpg

I also plan to fancy up the cylinder, do some kind of curvy profiling on it, but haven't decided on a design yet.

Chuck

Brian Rupnow said:
Chuck----What the heck kind of boring tool is that???

It's a home made boring head I put together a number of years ago...

Chuck

Chuck

I know lots of people that have something in common with your engine. They have got their head where their butt ought to be.

Jerry

Chuck,

I am following along with interest on this hoping to learn what I can. Just building an engine to a set of plans is a challenge. Converting one from compressed air to IC is beyond my comprehension at this time.

I know it isn't part of this build, but how did you make the curved section of the base?

rhitee93 said:
Chuck,

I am following along with interest on this hoping to learn what I can. Just building an engine to a set of plans is a challenge. Converting one from compressed air to IC is beyond my comprehension at this time.

I know it isn't part of this build, but how did you make the curved section of the base?

The bottom part of the base is just quarter inch thick angle iron. The bottom side of the L is cut off to about,half an inch wide.

Chuck

Edit: The angle iron used in the base is 3/8" thick. The corners are mitred and welded on the inside. A 1/4" thich plate is welded on top.

Got the beginnings of the exhaust manifold and valve assembly.

f7745642.jpg

The exhaust valve and cage will bolt down on top of the piece in the picture.

Chuck

cfellows said:
The bottom part of the base is just quarter inch thick angle iron. The bottom side of the L is cut off to about,half an inch wide.

Chuck

Edit: The angle iron used in the base is 3/8" thick. The corners are mitred and welded on the inside. A 1/4" thich plate is welded on top.

Wow, I would have never guessed that. Thanks!

Chuck you make it all look so easy that is looking good. I like the way you rounded the corners it gives it some appeal. Are you going for the Victorian look? I am still glued to you progress you keep it interesting.
I like your style

Don

Don1966 said:
Chuck you make it all look so easy that is looking good. I like the way you rounded the corners it gives it some appeal. Are you going for the Victorian look? I am still glued to you progress you keep it interesting.
I like your style

Don

Thanks, Don. After you do a number of these things, you kind of get a rhythm going. Not really going for a Victorian look per se. Just trying to pretty it up where I can. I started out making engines all square and blocky, happy just to get them to run. But over the years, I've figured out they might as well be pretty as well as functional. That makes them fun to look at even when they aren't running. Also gets more comments from people who haven't a clue about what they are or what they do!

Chuck

Well, Photobucket seems to be inaccessible and I haven't a clue how to post pictures from FLICKR, so will have to attach them.

Here is the exhaust valve cage mostly finished. The second picture shows it attop the exhaust valve bottom assembly.

Chuck

Well, Photobucket seems to be inaccessible and I haven't a clue how to post pictures from FLICKR, so will have to attach them.

Here is the exhaust valve cage mostly finished. The second picture shows it attop the exhaust valve bottom assembly.

Chuck

_IGP2384.JPG

_IGP2386.JPG

The only thing left on the Exhaust Assembly is the valve itself and retainer pieces. Here's a few pictures of the assembly.

7f8d00d3.jpg

7603c212.jpg

e8bccc5f.jpg

93cd1e7a.jpg

Think I'll tackle the intake assembly next, probably tomorrow.

Chuck

It's coming along well Chuck, and I am enjoying the ride.
Thanks.

Jim

Latest posts

Back