Input request

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foozer

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going in circles as to how best make a simple piece. 1 inch diameter by 3/4 inch long.

bearingcap-a1.jpg

No mill, so options are so far.
1) Turn a round down to size, hacksaw it in half, grab a file and hope for the best.
2) Use a piece of square stock in a 4 jaw and offset turn the radius
3) Turn down a round, mount that in the 4 jaw and face it down to size.

Number 1 I even vote NO so out of 2 and three which has the best chance of success. I am leaning towards number 3 at this point unless a better option within the lathe only comes along

Thanks
Robert

Option 3 might be hard to hold while facing it, as it will want to roll in the 4 jars. If you have the material, clamp two pieces 1/2 x 1 rectangle stock together, and it becomes a standard lathe turning job.

Dale

The problem with option 3 is you only have two flat faces and 4 jaws! so cant grip it well.

I'd opt for No 2 or if its not alloy solder two bits of 1"X1/2" together, set in teh 4jaw with the joint on ctr and turn as a cylinder so no intermittant cut, then melt them apart.

Or you could turn a cylinder and use a slitting saw in the lathe while holding the work to the toolpost or a vertical slide. Or hold the end of the bar and flycut away one side for the length you need, then back in the lathe and part off

Jason

I agree with the previous 2 posts. Either way you end up with 2 pieces :big:

dwentz said:
Option 3 might be hard to hold while facing it, as it will want to roll in the 4 jars. If you have the material, clamp two pieces 1/2 x 1 rectangle stock together, and it becomes a standard lathe turning job.

Dale

I looked in the mirror to check my hair color. Why didn't I think of that, simple and elegant.

jthulin and jasonb, thanks also for the nudge towards number 2, I wont say what the hair color is other than I like shinny things ;)

... and spend a fortune on head polish? ;D

Foozer said:
I looked in the mirror to check my hair color. Why didn't I think of that, simple and elegant

AAAAAAHHH! I'm BLIND!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :big:

BC1
Jim

seems like the perfect excuse to buy a mill to me or a shaper and go old school

Back