Ignore this topic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:
I am going to opt out on build two. Am letting BM take the helm on this one solo. May set up for one in the fall. Hope to get some house projects done this summer.
Tin

As far as liney goes, maybe he would let us model his prototype single cylinder cam actuated steam engine Here is the you tube of it. It is definately a different engine with a ic flavor and sound to it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGIe3h1bKcU[/ame]

-Bret

Finally got some time for pictures:eek:) Here is what I have so far.
pillars001.jpg

There was a small bit of chatter. But, if I let the tool rest for about 3 seconds at the end of the cut, It would clear up.
pillars002.jpg

Here is what 50 of them look like:eek:) I still need to drill and tap the ends. It should go fairly fast.
pillars003.jpg

Have a great day everyone:eek:) Wes

looking good, Wes.

Joe

PS Wasn't there any way you could have cast them?( ;D)

I am real impressed with the results of the use of the homebrew form tool..Thats a high heap of parts too...Well done :bow:

If in the future a group builds an internal combustion engine of any sort I want in on it.. I aspire to doing such a build but I rather not build every single part myself..I am especially enamored by the single cylinder water cooled 2 stroke marine engines and want to build fullscale version to actually power a small boat...There are 750 members here, anybody else care to eventually build fullscale IC engine?

Alpha, that is actually my ultimate goal. I have a 318cc Rotax I have been playing with. It is about the simplest engine I have ever torn apart. It is rated @ 18HP but what I want to do is actually build an in-line two cylinder based on its design. But after coming across this board I have been sidetracked. I don't know if it is peer pressure or what but I keep seeing these little engines I want very much and I'm using the excuse of " lessons learned building these small models will help when going full scale". I'm also interested in unique valve techniques as far as full scale engines go.

So
Alphawolf45 said:
There are 750 members here, anybody else care to eventually build fullscale IC engine?

Most definitely.
Tim

Wes it seems you are doing a really good job with those pillars. How are you liking the production work? I think these will add a good touch to the engine.
Tim

Been waiting to see what that tool was going to do ;D

That's a really good looking finish too... Very impressed.... I would have been faffing about trying to make them individually!!! Don't think that would have ever worked!

Top job Wes :bow:

Ralph.

I am just trying to negotiate with Lance from Liney to do an article on building his 5 cylinder 'Halo' radial. But manually, rather than CNC as the original is built. Every thread on the engine is 2-56, but he can supply some super quality taps.

I have seen the plans for the single, and it would not be worth your while making as a second team build. Very small component count. But the person who got the head to make would be onto a hiding.

John

zeusrekning said:
It is rated @ 18HP but what I want to do is actually build an in-line two cylinder based on its design. But after coming across this board I have been sidetracked.

So
Most definitely.
Tim
Tim, Me too, I come at this from ambition to build gas engine but am presently building steam engine to learn some basics... I currently building two steam engines ,one for a home brew steam launch and thinking I might use second one to power my greensand muller..My old eyes dont enjoy tiny work, holler if you start up a group build of a reasonably large IC engine...It'd be a hoot to build one big enough to power a lawnmower or something rather bragworthy..
.Or I might buy an engine and try to reverse engineer it..Or there is a book available that has the plans for a gas single cylinder launch engine like particulary excites me.

I am interested in doing some larger I.C. engine as well. I collect the single cylinder, hit and miss engines and have completed several restorations where I have had to reproduce parts from borrowed originals. The engine I am considering building is the Parcel and Weed engine detailed in a book available from Lindsay Publications. http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/parsell/index.html If you haven't discovered Lindsay yet, request their free catalog and there should be enough in there to keep you busy for a long time. The book on the engine details all the pattern making and machining necessary to make the engine. It will take a lot of time and effort making the various pieces, but would definitely give one a true sense of accomplishment when completed. If anyone else has contemplated this or completed it, I would love to talk to you.

Brian

Sign me up:eek:) I'm having a ball doing this. I'll vote on a stirling fan for the next build. I think We could pull it off:eek:)

Later, Wes

I'm glad veryone likes them. I was a little worried that they would be to far from the plans. But they do look nice.

zuesrekning, The shop I work at builds a lot of parts. But, If we build more that 10 of something, It's a production job. It's not to bad though. I'm going to set up a stop for drilling. it should go really fast?

Wes

That's some impressive form tool making Wes!

I would have never thought it could cut that well
with so much surface contact.

Great work!

Rick

It would have worked better on a bigger machine. I did this on my 9" South Bend. I had to tighten the gibs on the cross slide, lock the gibs on the compound, Locktite the bushing into the bearing. I messed up 4 toying around to get it to cut good. These are Alot smaller than the parts I generally work on.

Here is the end of a shaft that was brought in a while back. The big diameter is 6" and the broke part is about 4.375". I think they hit a VW burried in the snow LOL:eek:)
CIMG0245.jpg

Later, Wes

:eek: I seen the pic before reading the post and thought "man it's hard to tell how small the parts in the pics are". I assumed you were going to say it was a 1/4" part even though it looked 6" . I can't imagine the force it would take to do that. What was the shaft off of?
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back