Identification of metal lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrance Jo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Great to join this forum. I wanted to start with trying to see if anyone can help identify this metal laithe that belongs to my father-in-law. All we know about it is that two bearing carriers up on the pulley wheels say Made in England and the casting parts all start with the code V9. We are located in Victoria Australia and the seller had thought it had come from Gippsland. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpeg
    IMG_1212.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1211.jpeg
    IMG_1211.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1207.jpeg
    IMG_1207.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1201.jpeg
    IMG_1201.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1200.jpeg
    IMG_1200.jpeg
  • IMG_1200.jpeg
    IMG_1200.jpeg
  • IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
  • IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
  • IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1208.jpeg
    IMG_1208.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Lathes.co.uk is your friend

Yes and...no. Am I the only one that finds lathes.co.uk to be frustratingly excellent? The content is great. But the long paragraphs of narrative frustrate me no end. If the pages just had a few headings and sub-headings, it would be so much easier to find the relevant stuff. Put in a wiki-style table of contents on each page and it would be amazing.

Craig

Perhaps if you stripped the paint it might reveal something,
Hi everyone,

Great to join this forum. I wanted to start with trying to see if anyone can help identify this metal laithe that belongs to my father-in-law. All we know about it is that two bearing carriers up on the pulley wheels say Made in England and the casting parts all start with the code V9. We are located in Victoria Australia and the seller had thought it had come from Gippsland. Anyone have any ideas?

...looking very old but yet in millimeters.

Please could you expand on that comment. What gives you the impression that it is in millimetres?

The screwcutting plate in the photos shows that a 127t change gear on the leadscrew is used to produce millimetre threads. That means the leadscrew is imperial.

---

A couple of things that might narrow down the field a bit: work out what the spindle nose thread is and search for lathes that had the same spindle nose thread. Second, work out the specification (i.e. DP) of the change gears. Search for lathes that use that specification gears.

Of course I'll expand. The pitch table is thread pitches in millimetres, even my 1970's Colchester lathe hasn't got such a table attached to it. Of course mine will cut metric threads with the correct gearing, but you have to dig about in the manual to discover how this is accomplished. As you point out, the leadscrew is Imperial, but it appears to be set up by the manufacturer or dealer to perform metric threading. I didn't see a photo with TPI settings listed but that might be me skipping things or there may not be such a photograph. Perhaps the TPI settings weren't photographed. Just my impression that a machine design that looks antique would use the "wrong" markings for the intended market.
It wasn't my intention to say anything profound about the lathe, so I put "I'd imagined" in there so that nobody thought that I actually thought I knew what I was talking about.

Of course I'll expand. The pitch table is thread pitches in millimetres, even my 1970's Colchester lathe hasn't got such a table attached to it. Of course mine will cut metric threads with the correct gearing, but you have to dig about in the manual to discover how this is accomplished. As you point out, the leadscrew is Imperial, but it appears to be set up by the manufacturer or dealer to perform metric threading. I didn't see a photo with TPI settings listed but that might be me skipping things or there may not be such a photograph. Perhaps the TPI settings weren't photographed. Just my impression that a machine design that looks antique would use the "wrong" markings for the intended market.
It wasn't my intention to say anything profound about the lathe, so I put "I'd imagined" in there so that nobody thought that I actually thought I knew what I was talking about.
When I looked at the picture of the metric thread chart I assumed that the exact same size bare spot to it's left was where the missing imperial chart was supposed to be.

Well what ever make it is, it looks well made and heavy, and looks like you have all the gears and parts.

Lathes with the feed shaft to the rear are pretty rare so this should help narrow things down. The last lathe like this that I saw was in the maintenance shop at a steam engine site and was over 100 years old

Can't help you with the manufacturer but it's a pretty close copy in most regards of a Monarch Model A/AA/AB. Which are damn fine machines.

Hi everyone,

It is around 1900 thd built long gone .
You need new 3 jaw the is worn out.

Dave

Latest posts

Back