I love it when a plan comes together!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I did something simple today, yet it is one of those things I'm pleased with. Every time I take my milling vice off my mill, to bolt something large directly to the table for machining, I have a devil of a time getting the vice back in place with the jaws parallel to the carriage travel. On the bottom of my vice there is a slot milled 14mm wide x 5 mm deep. and there are two #1/4-20 threaded holes in the bottom of the milled slot. The T-slots in my mill table are some weird dimension that is neither even metric nor British Imperial, but ABOUT 11 mm wide. Today I milled a peice of 5/8" square hotrolled steel down for a "perfect" fit into the slot in the bottom of the vice and into the T-slot in my milling table. I drilled and counterbored the peice for a pair of 1/4"-20 socket head capscrews and bolted it into place on the bottom of the vice. I love it!!! Now I can remove the vice, and put it back in place without frigging for 20 minutes trying to get it lined up every time. I chucked up my dial indicator in the mill and put a peice of 1/2" square tool steel 4" long in the vice and tightened it up. The maximum "run out" that I get over 4" is about +/- .003 which is accurate enough for anything that I am building.----brian

Well done Brian.

Anything that saves on set up time is a great!

Rick

I see that I have the same slot and tapped hole arrangement in the bottom of my rotary table. The next boring Saturday that I get, with nothing to do, I will probably make up a key for it also.

Latest posts

Back