I Can't Believe I'm Joining Another Forum!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutsqueezer

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Greetings from Koleeforneea as it's now called.

If someone told me 15 years ago I'd be spending nearly all my evenings reading forums and posting messages, I'd have said they were crazy but here I am, again, in a new forum. Each more interesting than the last. I've joined this one after a few months of sandbagging and consequently my participation in forums previous must now diminish as my attention turns. Every new hobby I get into seems more exciting than the last. It's a good thing I'm scheduled to retire in two years because I just never have enough time for these all-important hobbies. There's always so much to learn. To do some things right, you have to spend as much time researching and thinking as you do working with your hands and it appears this hobby is no different. But I ramble...

How I got here: I became interested in building Rolling Ball Sculptures a couple of years ago after watching the movie Fracture which highlighted a few very nice sculptures of this sort. Well, to master that, I had to buy a welder and learn to weld. You welders know that is no simple task in itself. Later, I needed special bushings for some of the moving parts and came to the realization that I had to make them myself so I bought a HF mini lathe to handle it. After having worked with a Jet wood lathe for a few years, some of the techniques came naturally to me but of course, there is still so much to learn. The mini lathe is such a nice, cute little machine that I was thinking I should probably make better use of it. It occurred to me that I have always wanted to build little steam engines and perhaps now was the time to get rolling in that direction and the timing is right too because I need to stock up on all the tools I can while I am still working and can afford it 'cause the ol'wifey-poo is not gonna let me spend like a sailor once I become like a drone bee, eating honey but not foraging for it. :redface2:

So-o, I paid a little visit this summer to the Bay Area Engine Modeler show near San Francisco. Many of you know how impressive that can be and inspirational to boot, plus, everyone there looked like me! You know, wrinkles, white/gray beards, bifocals, Birkenstocks, etc. :big: Now I'm hooked. The same thing happened to me with my beekeeping hobby but this one costs a little more.

Now, as nice as it is to own and operate a metal lathe, it became obvious that I was going to need a HF mini milling machine as well. Thm: I don't know how to use it very well yet and the only things I have made so far is a set of clamps that hold my vise from the sides and a pair of aluminum soft jaws for it. Dang, my arm got tired of rolling the table back and forth a million times! I'm pretty sure I ruined the 3/8 HSS bit I was using too. That steel was hard and coated with scale.

I'd better bring this to a close so perhaps should mention my daytime job is chip design (CPU stuff) for the World's Largest Chip manufacturer. I've been doing that for about 15 years and before that I was an Engineer designing high end audio equipment. So, a lot of electronics stuff and some materials science in there as well.

There is a lot of stuff to read here and I've read a lot already. Mr. Zeeprogrammer, I've read your stuff over the last few days and have to say good job to you and to those gurus who have been advising you. Not to ignore all the others on here who contribute so generously, it's been a pleasure to read all the posts and will be a pleasure to participate.

trout..

Troutsqueezer

Welcome to HMEM. I can see that you have been doing your homework. If you have been following up on Mr. Zeeprogrammer Than you will fit right in. You will have to post a few pictures to show us what your up to from time to time as we do like our pictures on this forum.

Any questions that you might have, there is always someone about with an answer or an opinion.

Cheers :)

Don

Yep, wot Don said - Welcome from Orstralia.

Welcome to yet another forum! ;D Like Don said, you'll fit right in here, especially if you're following Zeep's informative and educational posts.

Welcome Trout. Hope you find a long term home here at HMEM.

Bill

Welcome to the forum 'trout'.

I certainly appreciate the mention from you and from the others, but you need to get around me and read the ones I'm following. ;D Go to the source.

Any thoughts on what you might build? You already know that everyone wants pics...they're like shiny things to them. How about a pic of those clamps?

P.S. Mr. Zeeprogrammer is my Dad. :big:

Hi Trout

wEc1

welcome tp HMEM

like Zee said th_wwp :big:

regards
Andy

zeeprogrammer said:
Welcome to the forum 'trout'.

I certainly appreciate the mention from you and from the others, but you need to get around me and read the ones I'm following. ;D Go to the source.

Any thoughts on what you might build? You already know that everyone wants pics...they're like shiny things to them. How about a pic of those clamps?

P.S. Mr. Zeeprogrammer is my Dad. :big:

Ooooooohhhhhh....shiny thingssssssssssssssss :eek:

Welcome to the forum
I dont fit into the grey beard catagory yet but I will one day :big:
and yes shiny things are great.
-B-

Troutsqueezer,
Welcome, with that name, sounds like you might be a fly fisherman too
Tony

cobra428 said:
Troutsqueezer,
Welcome, with that name, sounds like you might be a fly fisherman too
Tony

One would obviously hope so, otherwise, call the police Rof}

Welcome 'T' to this merry band of metal mongrels. ::)

BC1
Jim

>with that name, sounds like you might be a fly fisherman too.

Squeeze and release, no wait....let me reword that: Catch and release, that's my credo alright. Yep, I've tied a few flies in my day.

I'm all about pictures too. I dunno, clamps might be a little boring to look at but for now maybe some shop pics and perhaps a rolling ball sculpture or two which is kind of an engine, if you stretch the imagination a bit. Actually, Rube Goldberg is more like it.

I'm still collecting plans and pondering my first build which I will start soon. Probably Elmer's #25 or was it 23? That engine seems simple enough but honestly, after making those vise clamps, I am reminded that things usually turn out to be harder to make than first glance would indicate. I fully intend to build Brian's Beam Engine and have download his nicely drawn plans and screen captured some setup pics and put them into a binder. I thought about making that one first since I like to be challenged but discovering it was a challenge for me to make some darn vise clamps (getting them square, especially) I rethought my decision on that one. :)

I'm also scouting for places that sell chunks of brass for less than an arm and a leg. I can get long brass hex rods cheap and easy from the local Blue Collar Supply surplus store but for the larger chunks I'm having to look elsewhere.

Thanks to all for the welcome.

-trout

Trout,
C & R That's my motto to. I go so far as to de-barb the hook so the release will be easier. I've been getting tempted to make my own reel. scratch.gif
Tony

Welcome!

now on to the impertent stuff....where's da pictures! ;D

Trout,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Kevin, that's a nice sculpture there fer sure. I like the loop-d-loop. My first one wasn't nearly as nice, mainly because it was a learning model, learning how to bend, how the ball dynamics behaved, how to weld, so it is rather ugly but I was so proud of it back then I posted it on YouTube (doesn't everybody?). But the one I'm working on now, oh, light years ahead of my first, IMO.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0rdTj7QTVw[/ame]

I'll dig out some pics of...something...tonight after I get home from work, oops, that's right, I'm supposed to working right now. *club*

-trout

Back