Do I even belong here is the question :)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well as René Descartes wisely said

I model Engineer therefor I am ( or something like that )

I always tell them "What in the world are you guys talking about; speak english", LOL, that always gets a rise.
I am English and that reminds me of when I visited the Craftsmanship Museum down near Carlsbad CA, I had to fill the car up with petrol (Gasoline to you gents) and the Hispanic cashier in a moment of frustration about my credit card had the nerve to ask me what kind of English that I was speaking !!

Now I do not speak Kings English but it is a whole lot closer to a traditional English accent than the cashier was speaking !!

I am English and that reminds me of when I visited the Craftsmanship Museum down near Carlsbad CA, I had to fill the car up with petrol (Gasoline to you gents) and the Hispanic cashier in a moment of frustration about my credit card had the nerve to ask me what kind of English that I was speaking !!

Now I do not speak Kings English but it is a whole lot closer to a traditional English accent than the cashier was speaking !!
Omg it's latino. Or latinX. Do you want to get us shut down! LOL LOL LOL

It's like calling an Englishman or Britisher a Saxon. It's liable to get you into a fight I would imagine. Or just stared at very queerly.

It's like calling an Englishman or Britisher a Saxon. It's liable to get you into a fight I would imagine.
I could take being called a saxon after all we are anglo saxons so part of the way there.

It was the cheek of the Latino questioning my accent and pronunciation, it made me realise how 'bastardised' English was becoming with it's global usage.

I always tell them "What in the world are you guys talking about; speak english", LOL, that always gets a rise.
Said in good fun.......in a Monty Python sort of humourous way......

Like the scene from The Holy Grail, where King Arthur comes riding up (on his fake coconut horse) and exclaims "I AM ARTHUR....KING OF THE BRITONS......", and the peasant says "King of the EWWWWWW? ".

I think that is my favorite movie of all time.
I really love the deadpan humor in those movies.

Edit:
"Life of Brian" is probably my 2nd most favorite movie.

Edit2:
Or the rabbit scene, where he says "That's no ordinary rabbit, that's the most fowl, cruel and bad tempered rodent you have ever set eyes on.............LOOK AT THE BONES !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited:

My wife and I were traveling through New Mexico and Arizona, and stopped at one of the magnificent deep-carved rivers.
We were sitting on the edge taking in the marvelous scenery, and some folks behind us were chatting, so my wife asked them where they were from.
They were from up north in the US.
The woman asked my wife where we were from, and my wife replied in her Southern Belle accent (which is normal for her) telling our City, State.
The woman replied in a very condecending and smug tone, and mock southern accent "Of course you are darlin", and they abruptly walked away.

The joke was on them though; my wife with her little ole southern belle accent has an undergraduate and masters degree in electrical engineering, with a 3.8 gpa, passing some of the most difficult classes imaginable with ease.

I wanted to ask the northern woman what her degree was in, but decided it was best to let them bask in their ignorance.

It just goes to show, you can't judge a book by its accent.

Last edited:
My wife and I were traveling through New Mexico and Arizona, and stopped at one of the magnificent deep-carved rivers.
We were sitting on the edge taking in the marvelous scenery, and some folks behind us were chatting, so my wife asked them where they were from.
They were from up north in the US.
The woman asked my wife where we were from, and my wife replied in her Southern Belle accent (which is normal for her) telling our City, State.
The woman replied in a very condecending and smug tone, and mock southern accent "Of course you are darlin", and they abruptly walked away.

The joke was on them though; my wife with her little ole southern belle accent has an undergraduate and graduate degree in electrical engineering, with a 3.8 gpa, passing some of the most difficult classes imaginable with ease.

I wanted to ask the northern woman what her degree was in, but decided it was best to let them bask in their ignorance.

It just goes to show, you can't judge a book by its accent.

My wife is from Korea with a heavy accent, has an undergraduate and graduate degree in computer science. Work and retired from Disney world as lead software engineer. Every year she would have to participate in the park meet and greet with guests. She knows about condescending and smug responses from people, but she would just laugh to herself and walk away.

Well as René Descartes wisely said

I model Engineer therefor I am ( or something like that )
You heard about what happened to Descartes?

He walked into a bar, and the barkeep asked if he wanted a beer.

"I think not," said Descartes ... and promptly disappeared.

:)

It is the description of vehicle navigation that I delighted in when I worked in Linden, New Jersey for General Motors, The famous " jughandle turn"... fond memories. For those who do not know, a jughandle is a 270 degree "on-ramp" that is used on surface streets. You go right to end up going left. Much simpler in practice and intuition that a "round-about"

Latest posts

Back