Do I even belong here is the question :)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skogkatt007

Reaction score
hello from sunny New Jersey!

I stumbled upon a post, am always in the market for new places to learn and share. I hadn't realised this was a dedicated forum. Oh well. I'd like to stay anyway.

I'm in my mid 50s. Worked as a (cnc) machinist for a very short time. I'm a rank amateur. I have too many machines that I've accumulated over the years. Too much of everything. Except time ...

I have a smidgeon of interest in engines. These discussions aren't altogether irrelevant.

Hi
Welcome .
Glad to have you. !
The HMEM forum is a forum about DIY "small" engine, but it covers a lot of things : materials, metals, machines, casting, 3D printing, DIY machines, tools, repairs and adjust machine , electrical ......etc..., where can buy those things....

Perhaps I'm mistaken is this assertion, but I was lead to believe this was a British site w/mostly Britishers (a non exclusive club nevertheless). If I'm right, there is 1 thing I may share an affinity for with many members. That is 1 for British lathes. Not necessarily a Myford fan, BOOOO, I know (nothing at all against them, and very early Myfords are fairly fascinating though). But other off brands if you will. I used to have a cantilever bed Perris. It disappeared on me rather inexplicably.

There are folks here from all around the world; very much an international group.
Its people with a shared interest who post their impressive work, and contribute to help others in their modeling endeavors, and I find it very helpful, and fun interaction too.

Welcome, glad to have you.
Pick an engine type and lets get started.

Pat J.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm mistaken is this assertion, but I was lead to believe this was a British site w/mostly Britishers (a non exclusive club nevertheless). If I'm right, there is 1 thing I may share an affinity for with many members. That is 1 for British lathes. Not necessarily a Myford fan, BOOOO, I know (nothing at all against them, and very early Myfords are fairly fascinating though). But other off brands if you will. I used to have a cantilever bed Perris. It disappeared on me rather inexplicably.
I’m in Pennsylvania and they put up with me (so far, at least).

Welcome

This is a forum for people from all over the world with a common interest in "small engines." I come from Vietnam, a small country in Asia .

You didn't think I knew of Vietnam?
I'm sure Minh Thanh meant no offense,...and after all, Vietnam is on the other side of the planet from New Jersey.
BTW, I'm one of the outliers in the group and at least part of the reason Minh uses quotes around, "small engines". I was drawn to this forum because of the abundance of knowledgeable folks here whom are always ready to share what they know.
Welcome,...stick around for a while,...and perhaps you could tell us a bit about your interests,...hobbies,...etc.

We all talk, and learn from each other.
I enjoy using street view to see all the places people here are from.

I saw some spectacular scenery where someone lives in Greece.
Another member from the Pacific Northwest, where I ran across this link not to far from where he is.
This is at the edge of the Mt. St. Helen crater. You can pan 180 degrees. How would you like to have this near your house?
Glad I was not nearby when that went off.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.190...tch=-20&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Nice folks here, and I like the variety.
Sometimes we use translation programs, such as with the recent german member, that that is kind of fun too.

I wasn't offended at all. I should think that there isn't a person on earth who's heard of vietnam. No biggee.

I bought something from a guy in New Jersey one time, and when I picked it up, I had to tell him "Hey, you guys talk funny !" in my strong southern accent.

He said "No, you guys talk funny" in a strong NJ accent.

I bought something from a guy in New Jersey one time, and when I picked it up, I had to tell him "Hey, you guys talk funny !" in my strong southern accent.

10 Simple Words That Will Really Make Your New Jersey Accent Come Out! 😁
Salmon
Say it like "sah-man"
Park
Say it like "pawwwrk"
Talk
Say it like "tawwwlk"
Walk
Say it like "wawwwlk"
Thought
Say it like "thawwt"
Blinker
Say it like "blink-ah"
Coffee
Say it like "cawww-fee"
Sauce
Say it like "sawwwwzzz"
Drawer
Say it like "draw" without the -er.
Water
Say it like "wawww-tah"

I'm not from NJ originally. Brooklyn. My accent is complicated though. Everybody talk funnay.
10 Simple Words That Will Really Make Your New Jersey Accent Come Out! 😁
Salmon
Say it like "sah-man"
Park
Say it like "pawwwrk"
Talk
Say it like "tawwwlk"
Walk
Say it like "wawwwlk"
Thought
Say it like "thawwt"
Blinker
Say it like "blink-ah"
Coffee
Say it like "cawww-fee"
Sauce
Say it like "sawwwwzzz"
Drawer
Say it like "draw" without the -er.
Water
Say it like "wawww-tah"
Well that's why I said my "Brooklyn" accent is complicated. I annunciate my awwwwz very well. Have since I was 12 at least (and no one instructed me). But salmon is just sammin. Ain't no other way I know.

This is bound to get hideous. Some people insist on or inj. I say are inj. And yes I am annoyed.

Keeping it going, how about those Brits with their soul dur. It's sodder. The L is silent. The ee is not only silent but altogether absent in aluminum.

Oh. Mine isn't perfect. I do say twunny after 19 LOL. I cannoy imagine walking around and saying twen tee.for rest of my days.

I have informed the British that they have "funny-speak", and they have informed me that I also have "funny-speak".

The "al-you-mini-um" always cracks me up, as does the "lorry", "car park", "bin", "nappy", etc.

I always tell them "What in the world are you guys talking about; speak english", LOL, that always gets a rise.

The dialect around this region varies widely in the surrounding states.
Alabama is especially colorful in language, as is the Cajun thing in Louisiana.
We have what I call "good ole country boy speak" around here, with some colorful language.

I guess I am a mix of many accents.
I made one speaking video, and never made another one.
The first thing that came to mind when I listened to my video was "gosh, what a redneck sound that is".
One is not necessarily aware of how one talks until one listens to themselves on a video.

Last edited:
I am from the southern area of NJ. This is Trump country. We do not have accents unless you came from another area or state. Atlantic, Cape May, and Ocean counties went republican enmass except for two cities in the mid term elections.
mike

Latest posts

Back