Hypocycloidal Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking very nice so far Rob Thm:

Phew - that rim _just_ fits on the 3-jaw.

Regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:

Regards, Arnold

I'm with Arnold. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

arnoldb said:

Regards, Arnold
thanks Bob, Arnold
Yep i just got away with it ,the chuck is 5" and the jaws just cleared the mill bed
Regards Rob

Made the center hub for the flywheel tonight , started by turning down the spru from the casting and ended up with 5" of 1 1/4" dia
bronze bar, then set up on the mill and milled to 7/8" hex , then drilled and tapped the six fixings for the spokes,back in the lathe to finish and turn a fillet on each end.
Regards Rob

Tomorrow i hope to have the spokes turned and the flywheel built up
Rob

Rob...
You've just made me really appreciate the additional stock of brass and aluminum hex bar that I laid in earlier this year....(grin). Looking real good there...

Steve

Thanks Steve, i was just faffing about and wanted the hub the same color as the rim ;) ,
Well i would have liked to be further on with the flywheel, but have had a sting of people at the workshop door, saying those words COULD YOU JUST HAVE A LOOK AT THIS.
Turned up the spokes from 3/8 SS bar NO CNC hand turned
Rob

Hi back again here are some shots of the built up flywheel, i still have the hub to bore , some cleaning up and polishing to do
Regards Rob

Thanks Zee
Here is a photo of how,I am not the best at describing how to do things, hope this helps
Regards Rob

Those spokes are what...couple inches?
The middle part is what...1.25" or so?

The note said 'move cross slide and top slide'.
That had to be anxiety building and time consuming!

Do you mainly do it by eye?
Use a template?
Had you already done some sanding/polishing before taking the pic?

Sorry for all the questions...but this is a fascinating engine and a beautiful job and I've always wondered about doing curves like that.

Thanks.

Hi Zee,
The spokes are 2.125" long , yes i moved the top slide and cross slide together working by eye,i have had plenty of practice its not hard to get them the same it just like wood turning ,the spokes only needed a quick polish after turning, seven spokes one spare in case i bodge one , it took about 2 1/2 hours start to finish.
Regards Rob

Rob, that is seriously good-looking for a hand-turned job in SS :bow:

Regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Rob, that is seriously good-looking for a hand-turned job in SS :bow:

Regards, Arnold
Thanks Arnold,
I must get round to making a hand turning rest for my myford lathe or a radius tool as it would be a lot quicker.
Regards Rob

Hi , a bit more bling for the engine,crankshaft finished a three piece construction press fitted together.
Rob

Rob,

Very nice crankshaft. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob ,
Made a start on the columns tonight , milled up some round bar to 3/8 square ,i had brass square bar but thought SS would make the gears on the engine stand out more, milled a profile on the ends,then made up a tool plate to hold the columns so i could mill the chamfer on them.
i have discovered Photobucket so i will try and do a better job of my posts,the descriptions i will have to work on as i am one off the many blessed with Dyslexia (spell check is my best Friend :) )
P6240061.jpg

P6240059.jpg

P6240062.jpg

P6240064.jpg

P6240065.jpg

There is still some work to do on them and a polish
Regards Rob

Latest posts

Back