Hypocycloidal Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tony ;D
Well i managed to get a bit dun on the engine this weekend ,not allot as i was messing with my newly acquired Myford gearbox ;D , the eccentric

P6270073.jpg

P6270074.jpg

Rob

Here are a couple of parts fresh off the mill, the flywheel frame base's, they were milled up from 10mm SS plate.
I still have some holes to drill and tap in them.

P6290078.jpg

P6290083.jpg

P6290084.jpg

Regards Rob

Thanks ZEE .
Hopefully i should be able to put some parts to gether at the weekend so it starts to look like an engine, think i have made a rod for my back as i have allot of polishing to do :(

Hi a bit more work dun set up flywheel to run true in four jaw then bored the 3/8 hole for crank
P7040103.jpg

P7040104.jpg

started to do some polishing and assembly

P7070105.jpg

P7070107.jpg

P7070108.jpg

P7070109.jpg

and made the widget that carries one of the gears

P7070106.jpg

Rob

Rob,

That really looks magnificent. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I had to go back through the thread.
Great stuff.
I can't get over the spokes.
Also the polish.
What material is the base? Can you describe a little your polishing methods?

Thanks.

Many thanks Bob,Tony and ZEE

Zee the base is cast aluminum bronze , i will do my best to describe my polishing method

here is a quick demo just dun it for you zee hope it helps

fist thing to hand saw off piece of brass OOPS MENT FIRST THING TO HAND SAWN OFF PIECE OF BRASS :-[
P7070110.jpg

first step 6" fully stitched mop with satine 120 grit cut very quick removes rough marks and skin
P7070111.jpg

gives a brushed finish
P7070112.jpg

next a 6" fully stitched mop with i cant read the ladle now but its an intermediate polish for brass
P7070113.jpg

this takes out the next smaller marks

P7070114.jpg

Then a 6" loose mop with well i use jewlers rouge
P7070115.jpg

this really brings up the finish to mirror

P7070116.jpg

this demo took about 5 minutes to polish alot less than to wight up

hope it helps

Wow! Thanks Rob. That's great!
So different mops for different grits.
It looks like you take these 'thingies' and apply to the mop...then mop against the part.
What are the 'thingies'? They look like sticks of paste?

Thanks. Really.

zeeprogrammer said:
Wow! Thanks Rob. That's great!
So different mops for different grits.
It looks like you take these 'thingies' and apply to the mop...then mop against the part.
What are the 'thingies'? They look like sticks of paste?

Thanks. Really.

I do apologize Zee ,i am really crap at descriptions , thingies' = polishing Soap , yep your correct differant soap and mop for each grit and metal .

Regards Rob

No apologies! I'm the one who should be apologizing...taking your time away from a fantastic engine.

Thanks!!

Hi Rob

WOW That is really stunning,

I had commented on someone else post saying it looked amazing because it was all done in one metal (brass) and it was/is great looking

and now I see your creation and now I like the mix on this one the silver and gold colours just look right together here, together with the workmanship this engine tho not yet complete is a jaw dropper

keep it up m8 and keep posting as you update

regards
Andy

Latest posts

Back