Hoglet started (and running!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These seem to be videos of Randall Cox's original Hoglet as photographed for Model Engine Builder Magazine.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4dTMv9lASI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDvk0pQ9WQ[/ame]

It's a beautiful little engine. I saw Randall, his Hoglett and his Open Column Six at PRIME a couple years ago. He does great work!

Chuck

The second engine sounds a lot better, maybe its got the different cam profile that he talks about in the build article. I've started to build up the materials for this one myself.

Jason

Would like to ask what kind of cnc mill You use and if You also use a cnc lathe or it's manual. The video of the cnc mill is really suggestive! all the best

Paolo

The second engine does sound better, and If anyone has made a sketch Randall's 4 lobe cam they could share that would be great.

I did the milling with a european machine that doesn't have a tool changer. Hopefully that will change in the new year ;D
The turning is all manual.

Looking forward to seeing progress on the other hoglet builds too.

Happy new Year!

Kevin.

got a few jigs made;

hoglet%20131.jpg

Jig for holding the head while it endures several machinig set-ups.

hoglet%20128.jpg

hopefully what it will look like after machining;

head.JPG

A jig for holding the crank webs;

hoglet%20132.jpg

After the second hole is drilled and reamed, I will insert the second locating pin, secured from below with a capscrew;

hoglet%20134.jpg

And what it might look like;

crank%20web.JPG

I made an angled plate to set up the cam housing to ream the holes for the cam followers; ( I do not have a dividing head)

hoglet%20141.jpg

hoglet%20140.jpg

hoglet%20136.jpg

The jig will be located with a pin in the face of a soft jaw in the vise. The centre of the pin will be X.Y. 0.00, Using an adjustable parallel
I plan on taking up the slack until the required angle is securely parallel to the bottom of the vise.
This will set the cam housing to the correct angle and repeated three more times until the axes of all holes meet at the centre of the locating pin.

Clear as mud? Hoefully the WIP pics explain it better.

Where I am at so far;

hoglet%20117.jpg

hoglet%20122.jpg

I plan on building a SS frame as a display stand and hopefully down the road add some more moving parts.

Ciao for now.

-Kevin.

Thanks!

Here sre some modelled parts;

cad%20model.JPG

OK what package are you using ......as long as I don't start a cad war...Just curious :)

Veeeery Nice :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Fellows,

I do everything in Mastercam, I am going to get some solidworks training next month, It will be nice to check out moving assemblies before making them.

Lovely work, kustomkb. The "not round" cylinder heads look interesting. I'm still held back on my Hoglet by lack of access to a larger lathe, but soon, I hope.

Dang, I was supposed to post pictures of my cylinder heads, will do so when I get a chance. I am blessed/cursed with too many hobbies :)

M.

Thanks Mati,

I live in North Delta if you need to borrow the lathe.

-Kevin.

A little more progress;

I milled the nests and then machined the flipside of the con-rods;

con%20rod%20%285%29.jpg

con%20rod.jpg

con%20rod%20%283%29.jpg

Then the other jigs were utilized and I was happy with the resuts;

hoglet%20145.jpg

hoglet%20146.jpg

Have fun!

-Kevin.

Kevin,

Looking good neat trick with the nests for the conrods - filed in my come in handy list
smiley-signs021.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob,

Got some shop time in over the weekend,

Turned the outer rims for the flywheel;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP4GZWUEJ3E[/ame]

Then sanded them before polishing;

hoglet150.jpg

Then a little buffing;

hoglet%20158.jpg

Then heated them to 420 for about an hour. They grew alot more than the .0035 interferance I needed.

hoglet%20168.jpg

I spent an hour making oilite bushings which could have been purchased for a few dollars, but would have taken more than an hour to go to the store. ::)

hoglet%20153.jpg

Also I could get the .0025 press fit I wanted and final ream after installation;

hoglet%20174.jpg

Also got the valve lifters made and the crank shafts.

Every thing is nice and snug with no play but still rotates freely. A good session indeed. ;D

Look'n great Kevin...I wish I could work that fast :big:

Philly

Thats comming along nicely, I've got some hollow cast bronze for my flywheels so just need to skim them inside & out so should get them made even faster than you ;)

I got the two cylinders done over the weekend, just need to hone the bores for the last thou.

Jason

Great job, Kevin. I really admire your work.

By the way, how difficult was it to drill the long, deep holes in the sides of the cylinders for the long studs?

Chuck

Latest posts

Back