Hi from Henk from the Netherlands

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henk

Reaction score
Hi all,

As I have been lurking on this forum for more than a year, I thought is was time to introduce myself. As most I really have learned a lot on this forum - although I cannot say exactly what and from whom.

For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by steam, steam engines, and steam trains. My first steam engine I got as a present when I was something like 9 or 10 years old. It was one the smallest Mamod oscillators. It took me a long time to figure out why it would not run the other direction when I spun the flywheel the other direction! And I wrecked putting it on the gas stove in my mother's kitchen to make it run faster. The soft solder simply melted and the cilinder disintegrated. But trying to reassamble it was als a good learning experience.

The Mamod oscilator provided the basic dimensions of a home made oscilator which I finalized a number of years ago. It even ran under steam. So now that I proved to myself that I could shape metal also using a saw, file, sandpaper, I started a larger project, a two cilinder with stephenson valve gear. It is the "Neptunus" from plans published in the handbook of steam model engines (Dutch). It is a 15 mm bore, 22 mm stroke angine made from bar stock. Now this project I realized after while: I would never finish it without a late. And even with a lathe it took me a long time. Did I already tell you that I drool at the progress rate some of you achieve? I would love to do a build log, but progress would just not be fast enough to keep any audience's attention. But I digress, as a picture is worth a thousand words, I will try to add one:

neptunus_lucht_eerste_run_04_small.jpg

Yesterday I ran it for the first time on air, and it runs on 0.6 bar bicycle pump muscle driven pressure. I have taken a video from this event, which I will post on the "show it" forum.

BTW, does anyone know how to solve the fact that on this editor window, the view is centered. The window however is very narrow (text does not fit the editor window) normal behaviour would be that the view just follows the position of the scrollbar. However, it just flips back to the vertical center of the text. Which means I cannot see what I am typing, and I really need that direct feedback - my typing skills are at best mediocre.

I am afraid that I will not be an extremely active poster, but where posible I will try to contribute to this community.

Henk

Welcome. Beautiful engine. Are plans available? Ray

Welcome Henk,
Beautiful engine you have there. Any chance of a video of it running? Please consider a build log even if progress is slow...noone says its a race to the finish. Glad you decided to come out of the shadows and post...and I hope its the first of many posts for you.

Regards,
Bill

Henk,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Henk
Nice engine, nice work.
Welcome to HMEM. Enjoy and keep posting w/ pics. :big: th_wwp
regards
CS

Welcome to the forum Henk. I enjoyed your story about your first steam engine.
Like others have said...there's no race here. I'd rather have the occasional post than nothing at all.

Welcome, Henk.

You'll be better off composing your post in a real editor (I use DocPad), then copying the text into the forum reply area. This will protect you from software "glitches" that might cause you to lose what you've typed. Also, external editors offer the possibility of better spell checkers and more sophisticated typing aids.

Did I already tell you that I drool at the progress rate some of you achieve?
Join the club. well actually you just did welcome.
Tin

Welcome Henk,

I'm new here too. Your early steam engine story reminds me of my childhood too. I had a Mamod traction engine as a lad. Used it lots, made some really useful discoveries with it too. Like, lighter fuel (petrol) was not a good substitute for meths, it smoked way too much.

Your new model look great,

Nick

All, thanks for the welcome. And kind words.

Ray: plans are available from http://www.modelbouwers.nl/enghome.html for ~EUR 30 (nonmembers, I don't know about postage), but I got it directly from the handbook of model steam engines.

Bill, I will post a running video fairly soon time permitting.

Marv, I just hoped there'd be some other means, but as a workaround I will adopt that procedure

In answer to everyone's (including mine) observation : Pics are good, I'll add my home built oscillator
eencil_statie.jpg

Rest assured, the boiler is silver soldered, but never saw a steam pressure higher than half a bar. In case you wonder : the long tube sticking out on the left contains the spring to pull the reverse plate to the tube plate. Overall design was done while making parts, otherwise I would have chosen a different layout. The cylinder is hidden from view by the flywheel and vertical plate (funny, I never had to describe the different parts so they were unnamed until now). The vertical capped tube is meant as a displacement oiler, but I am not convinced that it actually works.

Henk

Henk, Welcome, Both are very nice, good work

Paul

Hello Henk.Some nice looking engines you've done there. :bow:
Welcome to the best engine forum.

Latest posts

Back